Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 8:44 am

If the buyout occurs and if TS moves from YYZ T3 to T1, then that would certainly free up a bit of space in T3 for airlines currently having to use the infield terminal due to lack of T3 gate space!
Old May 18, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Keeping Rouge and AC in different terminals would defeat the goal of having easy transfers and of an economy of scale. It is much less costly to support operations in one terminal. Swapping aircraft when needed would be easier too.
D582 likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Keeping Rouge and AC in different terminals would defeat the goal of having easy transfers and of an economy of scale. It is much less costly to support operations in one terminal. Swapping aircraft when needed would be easier too.
Indeed. So Rouge, AC Mainline and AC-Transat all in T1 would be the most logical.
Old May 18, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Routine ops, not to mention swapping, is already a problem. Aircraft arriving at Int'l/TB but departing from domestic etc lead to delays, and are likely not allowed for in turnaround times.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity how much capacity does TS suck up? Perhaps this is something they could cram into the already overloaded T1? I, for one, would be concerned about AC sharding their flights to T1 and T3. For instance, AC could move Rogue/TS flights into T3 and keep mainline at T1. The concern here would be that the facilities at T3 aren't nearly as good as T1. Would AC bother building a MLL there for their Elites and those travelling in Premium Rogue? What about Priority check-in? This says nothing about how transfers would work going from mainline/regional over to Rogue. Perhaps AC would have shuttle buses to ferry passengers between T3 and T1 much like what UA does at EWR. Even then, things get tricky given how messed up the departure lounge situation is at YYZ (i.e. International and Domestic flights being segregated).

Safe Travels,

James
Transat has 48 aircraft and 16 on order (per Wikipedia) if the fleet. They are very wide body heavy; 13 are narrow body 737/A320 aircraft while the rest are A330 or A310. Ever the narrow body aircraft are towards the larger end with 737 being replace by new A321 or extra long-range A321.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YYCguy
If the buyout occurs and if TS moves from YYZ T3 to T1, then that would certainly free up a bit of space in T3 for airlines currently having to use the infield terminal due to lack of T3 gate space!
It is a positive for WestJet. They have some new wide-body aircraft on order and appear to be moving more and more to YYZ and YYC being their main connecting hubs.

I don't think T3 could accommodate Rouge over there.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Fiordland
It is a positive for WestJet. They have some new wide-body aircraft on order and appear to be moving more and more to YYZ and YYC being their main connecting hubs.

Between AC acquiring TS along with WW and 9W going bankrupt I suspect WS must be jumping for joy with all the additional gate space that will be made available for them! That being said, this has the potential to put additional load on T1 and again its unclear how this will be resolved other than having passengers wait at a bus stop for their gates! Maybe AC could get non-alliance partners like EI to move over to T3. In any event, here's to hoping that AC will move some of their puddle hopper flights to daytime, instead of just having one daytime service between YYZ and Europe!

Safe Travels,

James
Old May 18, 2019, 3:38 pm
Original Member

The one thing I'm sure of is that if this deal goes through things will get worse for everybody regardless of your status.

Well... except for me.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
The one thing I'm sure of is that if this deal goes through things will get worse for everybody regardless of your status.

Well... except for me.
As someone who is UA Gold and aside from the occasional flight pass I snap up flies UA exclusively (even for domestic flights) I find that hard to believe! Enjoy your Rogue seating

-James
Old May 18, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
If the deal goes through and the remains of Transat leaves T3 perhaps they will use the IFT with T1 again.
Old May 18, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Alternatively AC/TS could use T1 and the IFT similar to how things worked during T1 construction. I’ve not been to the IFT since those times but the old MLL that was there could likely be renovated and pressed into service once more.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by smallmj
If the deal goes through and the remains of Transat leaves T3 perhaps they will use the IFT with T1 again.
Would that mean that there would now be a way to transfer airside from T1 to T3 (via the IFT)?

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Alternatively AC/TS could use T1 and the IFT similar to how things worked during T1 construction. I’ve not been to the IFT since those times but the old MLL that was there could likely be renovated and pressed into service once more.
Perhaps they could reactivate Terminal 2 which closed a while ago as well? IIRC it was closed in the mid 2000's so unsure how up to date it is on security and amenities!
Old May 18, 2019, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Fiordland

T3 is slammed? and I was unaware the infield terminal was being used? Is it?
Old May 18, 2019, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Would that mean that there would now be a way to transfer airside from T1 to T3 (via the IFT)?

Perhaps they could reactivate Terminal 2 which closed a while ago as well? IIRC it was closed in the mid 2000's so unsure how up to date it is on security and amenities!
? T2 was demolished
tcook052 likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by mellon
T3 is slammed? and I was unaware the infield terminal was being used? Is it?
Yes, WS has been parking the 787 at the IFT from time to time on the YYC YYZ YYC turns to offload guests and then get towed over to an available T3 gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.