Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Could AC Buy Transat? 16May19 Update: AC enters into agreement to buy Transat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: AC 35k
I feel badly for the consumers in YUL. In some markets this won't be noticeable, but WS has zero presence in Quebec, so look for a near monopoly for sun and Europe in Quebec to AC.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by The Lev
Sadly you are probably right - but that is an indication of how off-base the Competition Bureau and anti-trust regulation is in Canada. If AC can get away with this, I can't see how they could block any merger in Canada. If there was a proposed three-way tie between Bell, Telus and Rogers - the regulators would say no problem, nothing to see here.

I really hope they grow a pair.
The Competition Bureau isn't quite that blase about mergers. They've either applied for orders or negotiated changes to mergers before, where market concentration would result (e.g. Sobeys purchase of Safeway Canada that ended up with a divestment of a minimum of 23 stores in the West to preserve grocery competition).

Your example of Bell, Telus, Rogers is probably the least likely example as the Competition Bureau has made several veiled announcements that imply any merger between those 3 dominant carriers would be unlikely to gain approval.

The closest case to what we have happening with AC and Transat is with First Air, Air North and Calm Air; although, the market and dynamics of the northern air travel market are so unique that I'm doubtful it provides a useful reference case.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by robsaw
The Competition Bureau isn't quite that blase about mergers. They've either applied for orders or negotiated changes to mergers before, where market concentration would result (e.g. Sobeys purchase of Safeway Canada that ended up with a divestment of a minimum of 23 stores in the West to preserve grocery competition).

Your example of Bell, Telus, Rogers is probably the least likely example as the Competition Bureau has made several veiled announcements that imply any merger between those 3 dominant carriers would be unlikely to gain approval.

The closest case to what we have happening with AC and Transat is with First Air, Air North and Calm Air; although, the market and dynamics of the northern air travel market are so unique that I'm doubtful it provides a useful reference case.
I'm sure you are right with reqards to the telecom sector - that was a slight exaggeration on my part.

AC and Transat are the #1 and #2 players on the Canada - Transatlantic and Canada - "South" routes. Allowing this would be like allowing Save-On and Safeway to merge in the west with no store divestitures.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm not sure if the prospective buyer for WS want to improve it , or turn a billion dollars into a million dollars. I can say that, personally, that not being a member of a global partnership is a benchmark of even considering them. It obviously far more subtle than that, but implies a few other checkboxes have been checked . Porter... all the power to Toronto Island Airlines, but its not worth my consideration.

I don't see how the Transat deal influences either of those dynamics, however.
WS may never join Skyteam, however they are getting close with all the partnerships they are developing.

From a competition perspective across the Atlantic you have to look at Air Canada in combination with all of the airlines that it has special permission for market co-ordination. From a competition perspective this is a a merger between Air Canada (with Lufthansa /w children and United) merging with Air Transat.

WestJet has antitrust status in the works with Delta, it has codeshare with KLM and AF. WS is slowly building out similar commercial arrangement with the other Skyteam members.

In the west there is clear competition in the east its harder to see a parallel unless an alliance has some domestic partner.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:52 pm

I'm sure you are right with reqards to the telecom sector - that was a slight exaggeration on my part.

AC and Transat are the #1 and #2 players on the Canada - Transatlantic and Canada - "South" routes. Allowing this would be like allowing Save-On and Safeway to merge in the west with no store divestitures.
Even more so when you consider Air Canada has special permission to co-ordinate pricing with Lufthansa and United.

In the case of Sobeys the biggest issue was Vancouver Island where it would have had Thrifty Foods and Safeway as the only viable operators in certain markets. In that case it forced them to open up locations to permit Save-On-Food who had no presence at all to enter the market.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Financial Post - August 12, 2019 4:17 PM EDT

'Thank God for Mach': Air Canada raises Transat offer as Quebec regulator shuts down defiant rival's bid

"The competition side could be tricky, as the combined company would have more than 60 per cent of the market share on some routes across the Atlantic"

Full article
https://business.financialpost.com/t...ant-rivals-bid
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Sadly you are probably right - but that is an indication of how off-base the Competition Bureau and anti-trust regulation is in Canada. If AC can get away with this, I can't see how they could block any merger in Canada. If there was a proposed three-way tie between Bell, Telus and Rogers - the regulators would say no problem, nothing to see here.

I really hope they grow a pair.
Transat is hardly comparable to one of the big three telecommunication companies in Canada. I would not even compare them to Freedom Mobile. Transat is a relatively small operation vs WS and AC.

The problem in Canada is not that the competition bureau is gutless, but the high cost of running an airline vs other jurisdictions. Airport rents, fuel taxes, etc are very high vs the US. This prevents new competitors from starting up in Canada. If this were not the case, investors would be pouring money into the sector. Also keep in mind Canada is only 37M people (or whatever it is today). There is a limited customer base, which is why AC is targeting US travellers.

The Canadian airline industry is very healthy today vs back in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s. I would never want to return to those days. If that means prices are higher, but stabilized, so be it.

Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:37 am

According to TVA, there are rumours that both Westjet and Air France are interested in bidding for Air Transat, no details on whether or not this interest was before AC raised their offer for TS
https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2019/08/...es-par-transat
Old Aug 13, 2019, 10:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by WestAust
According to TVA, there are rumours that both Westjet and Air France are interested in bidding for Air Transat, no details on whether or not this interest was before AC raised their offer for TS
https://www.tvanouvelles.ca/2019/08/...es-par-transat
So where was their interest months ago? It seems the sweetened AC deal has the largest shareholder on side plus TS staff so will probably get approved. Sounds like WS/AF missed their chance.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:57 am

So Ben is going after his former employer... Interesting.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by cedric
So Ben is going after his former employer... Interesting.
As is expected. Air France, KLM and WestJet partnership is growing deeper. An interest in AirTransat is interesting.

The demographic that AirTransat is typically going after is more WestJets cup of team. The geography that Air France is most interested in (France-Canada) has AirTransat written all over it.

I wonder if WestJet was distracted with going private and now that is in hand just started to notice what Air Transat was up to. I agree it may be to late, but it would have been a nice fit. Perhaps at this point all they can hope to do is make some noise and force Air Canada to spend more money on close the deal.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:31 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Edit: not worth it

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Aug 13, 2019 at 8:17 pm
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Most people in Quebec (including myself) would rather fly TS than Rouge. AC buying TS sucks for YUL as noted upthread. Would love if AF and/or Westjet would purchase TS if only to keep a bit of competition in this market. But I think AC will prevail.
Yeah, I can see the powers that be thinking that it is more important to keep it HQ'd in Quebec than to have an actual competitive landscape to keep the prices from skyrocketing.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Most people in Quebec (including myself) would rather fly TS than Rouge.
May I ask why? Am considering both for an upcoming trip.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:13 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
EDIT: delete. Don't want to hear more drivel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.