Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business award in Economy cabin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Business award in Economy cabin

I am looking to get 2 seats back from Europe to the US in Early August on miles (I have a lot of transferable Marriott points) , and one option that looked good has a 57.5k business award according to AwardNexus. However, the longest leg BUD-YYZ has 2 x AC Business award in Economy cabin seats. I was wondering what the situation is with these. Will I have any chance of being 'upgraded' to the seats I am 'paying' for? If so what are my chances?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
You can request an upgrade at the gate.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Aeroplan often presents "mixed cabin" award flights where they put you in J for a short connecting leg, then stuff you into Y for the long overseas segment - all while still billing you full points for doing the whole trip in J. It's deceptive as hell.

You can request an upgrade at the gate but don't hold your breath, since available seats are almost always gone by that point - especially if you don't have status with AC or have lower tier status. Strongly suggest you select another booking option that will put you in J all the way through right from the start.
expert7700 and mromalley like this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Aeroplan often presents "mixed cabin" award flights where they put you in J for a short connecting leg, then stuff you into Y for the long overseas segment - all while still billing you full points for doing the whole trip in J. It's deceptive as hell.

You can request an upgrade at the gate but don't hold your breath, since available seats are almost always gone by that point - especially if you don't have status with AC or have lower tier status. Strongly suggest you select another booking option that will put you in J all the way through right from the start.
I agree with all this, but if you book mixed cabin: Getting upgraded on mixed cabin Aeroplan redemptions
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by sram
You can request an upgrade at the gate.
You can also subscribe to EF and setup an alert for award space to open up between now and the time of your flight. If any opens up, you can call in to claim it for free.

Although, now that I think of it I believe that BUD-YYZ is operated by rouge, so there isn't any business class on this flight, only Economy and Premium Economy. I suggest you look for a Premium Economy reward and see what is available.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Find a different routing on a better carrier (and possibly with less fees!)

The routings presented online are not the end-all of availability, and the website prefers AC flights (even if as you learned the longhaul is in Y)

Piece together a route yourself that is all business and call in to book
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Find a different routing on a better carrier (and possibly with less fees!)

The routings presented online are not the end-all of availability, and the website prefers AC flights (even if as you learned the longhaul is in Y)

Piece together a route yourself that is all business and call in to book
I would love to but I don't have the knowledge to make my searches efficient at all- I don't really know where to start looking and it seems I have too many possible options with only a few of them likely to be fruitful and I and waste all my time on dead ends. I have plenty of transferable miles but am losing patience- it seems like these miles are not worth my time for Europe to US travel and I should save them for something else. Unfortunately I can't plan this trip around the use of miles, but I thought my willingness to reposition myself would help.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
You probably don't want to do this because it adds more complexity, but another option if you're going to be transferring miles from Marriott is to look into other airline programs that fly the route you're interested in (TK for example). You can then look for availability in their programs. The only problem is that the points transfer isn't immediate.
And you can also ask folks here about your AC options.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Academic
You probably don't want to do this because it adds more complexity, but another option if you're going to be transferring miles from Marriott is to look into other airline programs that fly the route you're interested in (TK for example). You can then look for availability in their programs. The only problem is that the points transfer isn't immediate.
And you can also ask folks here about your AC options.
Thanks. I'm already at maximum complexity and that is my problem- I'm willing to get on any flight from anywhere that gets me back to DFW. If I ever find availability it has crazy YQ fees, I'm about ready to just pay cash.

I did look at TK before, found some availability on ExpertFlyer but the website was not working- the rep on the phone quoted me 110,000 miles each in business plus $250 or something. It's an option I have but I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Is it worth having a Master Thread dedicated to something like this?

How likely is J award space likely to open up on the longhaul portion of a mixed cabin reward? Are these kind of bookings commonly done with decent chances of upgrade? I wonder what a master thread would show.
Old May 1, 2019, 8:25 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by coregis
Thanks. I'm already at maximum complexity and that is my problem- I'm willing to get on any flight from anywhere that gets me back to DFW. If I ever find availability it has crazy YQ fees, I'm about ready to just pay cash.

I did look at TK before, found some availability on ExpertFlyer but the website was not working- the rep on the phone quoted me 110,000 miles each in business plus $250 or something. It's an option I have but I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet.
What are your start and end points, and preferred dates?
Old May 1, 2019, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Is it worth having a Master Thread dedicated to something like this?
Of course it's worth having a master thread dedicated to something like this!

In fact already exists, and was pointed to upthread by its very own OP:

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I agree with all this, but if you book mixed cabin: Getting upgraded on mixed cabin Aeroplan redemptions
As for a useful thread regarding the likelihood/chances of J/F space opening up on a particular route for a particular carrier on AP... I doubt it will be worthwhile given 1. There are new threads asking this same question every few days, and 2. From my own experiences for the same routes and carriers over the past 15 years, I still haven't noticed a pattern. But, hey, it doesn't hurt to try by starting a new thread regarding the opening of J/F reward space chances.
Bohemian1 likes this.

Last edited by yyznomad; May 1, 2019 at 9:49 am
Old May 1, 2019, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Of course it's worth having a master thread dedicated to something like this!

In fact already exists, and was pointed to upthread by its very own OP:

As for likelihood/chances of J/F space opening up on a particular route for a particular carrier on AP... not a chance.
Quite recently, and to my complete surprise, an I seat opened up on YYZ-LHR in June on AC. Was sitting on a I reward with that sector in PY. Given the ticket was for my OH while I was already confirmed in J on a revenue ticket, this was very welcome news.
As noted elsewhere, while I had an alert set on EF, it didn't trigger in this case as, I think, it was a seat only available to AE. I had been checking manually every day on Aeroplan....
Old May 1, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Quite recently, and to my complete surprise, an I seat opened up on YYZ-LHR in June on AC. Was sitting on a I reward with that sector in PY. Given the ticket was for my OH while I was already confirmed in J on a revenue ticket, this was very welcome news.
As noted elsewhere, while I had an alert set on EF, it didn't trigger in this case as, I think, it was a seat only available to AE. I had been checking manually every day on Aeroplan....
Oops, I should reword my post more clearly... I meant the "subject" of posting the "chances" of all the routes and J/F openings with AP reward space...

Of course J/F has opened up in the past as there are hundreds of threads asking this type of thing. Will reword my post now.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:54 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre

Status doesn't really help on Aeroplan tickets, since upgrades on Aeroplan tickets come after all revenue upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.