Wiki Posts
Search

Business award in Economy cabin

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 8:24 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pitz
Oh boy, not this mess again. Waitlisters > non-confirmed upgraders (of any status). The waitlist clears before any non-confirmed upgrades (of any status) clear.

Status only serves, at best, as a tie-breaker when it comes to waitlisted passengers. An AP "confirmed in Y/X, ticketed in I/J" seat is a passenger waitlisted for J, not a passenger looking for an upgrade. They've already "paid" for J service, but just couldn't confirm such seating.

That's not true. There are lots of cases of SEMM's with e-upgrade requests active, who sit in the back, because there's no R space to confirm the coupon upgraders into. But a plane will never travel with J positive space and a waitlist that hasn't fully cleared. Revenue management, for whatever reasons, may not make upgrade space available, but they can't inhibit a waitlist clearing unless the plane goes out full with confirmed pax.

Of course, I'd never advise one book an overseas segment without confirmation, as its AC's well-known goal to sell as many confirmed upgrades or better yet, confirmed revenue seats, prior to flight time, leaving no space to clear the waitlist into, let alone provide any upgrade space beyond the paltry amount of confirmed upgrade space that's made available.
I was not talking about using e-upgraded to upgrade, but upgrading on the ticket class status alone. You are talking about something completely different.

Last edited by 5mm; May 2, 2019 at 8:30 am
Old May 2, 2019, 9:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5mm
I was not talking about using e-upgraded to upgrade, but upgrading on the ticket class status alone. You are talking about something completely different.
No, you're talking about the same thing.
​​​​​​
Old May 2, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu
TIA-LJU-CPH-BOS-YUL on JP/JP/SK/AC on Aug.1 for 2 in business - there should only be about $100 of YQ
overnight in YUL and then YUL-DFW on AC nonstop on Aug.2 arriving in DFW at 17:19
Another possibility is to go through CDG to YYZ (TIA-LJU[JP]-CDG-YYZ[AC]) on Aug 2. There are other options through LHR, although the surcharges ramp up.
Your best bet is to look to see what availability there is from all the European gateways, then work backwards for flights out of TIA. If there is no award availability, then paying for the intra-europe flights is an option.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:38 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canadiancow
No, you're talking about the same thing.
​​​​​​
???? Please advise where e-upgrade credits were mentioned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symmetre Aeroplan often presents "mixed cabin" award flights where they put you in J for a short connecting leg, then stuff you into Y for the long overseas segment - all while still billing you full points for doing the whole trip in J. It's deceptive as hell.

You can request an upgrade at the gate but don't hold your breath, since available seats are almost always gone by that point - especially if you don't have status with AC or have lower tier status. Strongly suggest you select another booking option that will put you in J all the way through right from the start.
Status doesn't really help on Aeroplan tickets, since upgrades on Aeroplan tickets come after all revenue upgrades.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by 5mm
???? Please advise where e-upgrade credits were mentioned?
You implied it in post 15 of this thread when you mentioned "revenue upgrades", which is typically done to upgrade revenue tickets via via eUpgrade. @Symmetre didn't mention eUpgrades in the quote you posted.

Originally Posted by 5mm
Status doesn't really help on Aeroplan tickets, since upgrades on Aeroplan tickets come after all revenue upgrades.
Alternatively, by "revenue upgrades" are you referring to bid upgrades and LMU? If so, then I'd agree that status doesn't come into play. Or are you talking about revenue J but only being confirmed in Y for some reason?

The way I read your post was that revenue upgrade means eUpgrade, and it appears that others took it that way too. Maybe you aren't talking about the same things, but the way I've read/interpreted this thread, I agree with @canadiancow.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Actually, I didn't read either post as talking about eUpgrades. Which makes sense in the context of this thread, as it has nothing to do with eUpgrades, other than "where would my priority be relative to eUpgrades".
Old May 2, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Find a different routing on a better carrier (and possibly with less fees!)

The routings presented online are not the end-all of availability, and the website prefers AC flights (even if as you learned the longhaul is in Y)

Piece together a route yourself that is all business and call in to book
Kind reminder - there are chances I found available seats from other sources(e.g. UA) but Aeroplan could not book for me. I was actually told by the CSR that I can only book those that can be found at their website, which I know is not completely true. However, it has always been a myth to me to find where the line(dividing the found-elsewhere-but-nonbookable-at-Aeroplan-seat) is. I appreciate any insight.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by IBNR
Kind reminder - there are chances I found available seats from other sources(e.g. UA) but Aeroplan could not book for me. I was actually told by the CSR that I can only book those that can be found at their website, which I know is not completely true. However, it has always been a myth to me to find where the line(dividing the found-elsewhere-but-nonbookable-at-Aeroplan-seat) is. I appreciate any insight.
United will find more routings (and does not prefer YQ money-making AC, even if long leg is in Y)
You still need to verify (segment by segment) that those are available via Aeroplan, and that the routing meets MPM.

Star alliance inventory should be identical between the two platforms (X/I space) - but the Aeroplan website will not show some routings
If its not, Aeroplan is blocking the awards or has one of its many "glitches" that only happen on non-YQ airlines
Old May 3, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC E50K
United will find more routings (and does not prefer YQ money-making AC, even if long leg is in Y)
You still need to verify (segment by segment) that those are available via Aeroplan, and that the routing meets MPM.

Star alliance inventory should be identical between the two platforms (X/I space) - but the Aeroplan website will not show some routings
If its not, Aeroplan is blocking the awards or has one of its many "glitches" that only happen on non-YQ airlines
Thanks for the tips. Still, technically I don't know if a route found on UA but not Aeroplan is bookable via Aeroplan before I call them to verify.:S
Old May 4, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I've never requested at the gate.. by then it's almost too late, or already too late.
does that work when you are checking in with a partner Airline ? The OP starts in Albania.
Old May 4, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by IBNR
Thanks for the tips. Still, technically I don't know if a route found on UA but not Aeroplan is bookable via Aeroplan before I call them to verify.:S
Yes, it will be available unless
a) Its Aer Lingus or EuroWings (not an Aeroplan partner)
b) Is not a saver award
c) Aeroplan is "glitching" or blocking it atm
d) It doesnt fit Aeroplan MPM
Old May 5, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AC E50K (MM) FB (Platinum)
Originally Posted by sram

does that work when you are checking in with a partner Airline ? The OP starts in Albania.
I am also interested in this specific question.

I am travelling CDG-YWG: CDG-FRA (on LH) connecting to FRA-YOW (on AC) then YOW-YWG (on AC). All confirmed in BIZ except the last leg YOW-YWG. So, at what point in the journey can I request to be put on standby for BIZ for my YOW-YWG? I somehow doubt that LH in CDG will be able to help (but I may be wrong) but maybe AC in FRA??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.