Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Business award in Economy cabin

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2019, 9:55 am

If you have reached your frustration threshold, there are award booking services that will do this for you.
Award booking services - a list and some reviews
Old May 1, 2019, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5mm
Status doesn't really help on Aeroplan tickets, since upgrades on Aeroplan tickets come after all revenue upgrades.
I know people often post incorrect statements about this, but that is probably the most incorrect I've seen.

Cabin, status, fare class, check-in time.

Based on inside knowledge and anecdotal evidence, the only part of that I'm remotely confused about is fare class, but that seems to be a consequence of the order on the list not matching the order they process the upgrades in.
rankourabu and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 1, 2019, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I know people often post incorrect statements about this, but that is probably the most incorrect I've seen.

Based on inside knowledge and anecdotal evidence, the only part of that I'm remotely confused about is fare class, but that seems to be a consequence of the order on the list not matching the order they process the upgrades in.
Exactly.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:47 am
5mm
Suspended

Incorrect? no. Aeroplan tickets are exempt from this rule. Just Dble checked with AC Aeroplan J tickets confirmed in Y upgrade after all rev ticket.

This is first hand experience and confirmed by AC today.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by 5mm
Incorrect? no. Aeroplan tickets are exempt from this rule. Just Dble checked with AC Aeroplan J tickets confirmed in Y upgrade after all rev ticket.

This is first hand experience and confirmed by AC today.
Those who know me know how I have the information (including the specific story, which cannot be posted publicly).

And I can guarantee that I've been above Elites on eUps on SFO-YYZ in this situation.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:17 pm

Oh boy, not this mess again. Waitlisters > non-confirmed upgraders (of any status). The waitlist clears before any non-confirmed upgrades (of any status) clear.

Status only serves, at best, as a tie-breaker when it comes to waitlisted passengers. An AP "confirmed in Y/X, ticketed in I/J" seat is a passenger waitlisted for J, not a passenger looking for an upgrade. They've already "paid" for J service, but just couldn't confirm such seating.

Status doesn't really help on Aeroplan tickets, since upgrades on Aeroplan tickets come after all revenue upgrades.
That's not true. There are lots of cases of SEMM's with e-upgrade requests active, who sit in the back, because there's no R space to confirm the coupon upgraders into. But a plane will never travel with J positive space and a waitlist that hasn't fully cleared. Revenue management, for whatever reasons, may not make upgrade space available, but they can't inhibit a waitlist clearing unless the plane goes out full with confirmed pax.

Of course, I'd never advise one book an overseas segment without confirmation, as its AC's well-known goal to sell as many confirmed upgrades or better yet, confirmed revenue seats, prior to flight time, leaving no space to clear the waitlist into, let alone provide any upgrade space beyond the paltry amount of confirmed upgrade space that's made available.

Last edited by pitz; May 1, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Old May 1, 2019, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Those who know me know how I have the information (including the specific story, which cannot be posted publicly).

And I can guarantee that I've been above Elites on eUps on SFO-YYZ in this situation.
+1,000
Old May 1, 2019, 1:21 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by sram
You can request an upgrade at the gate.
Last time I had a mixed reward reward flight (YUL-YYZ was Y, YYZ-WAW-IST-YUL was all in J) I asked the agent at check-in to put me on standby list for J instead of waiting to ask for an upgrade at the gate. I remember reading on here at the time that it was better to proceed that way.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Last time I had a mixed reward reward flight (YUL-YYZ was Y, YYZ-WAW-IST-YUL was all in J) I asked the agent at check-in to put me on standby list for J instead of waiting to ask for an upgrade at the gate. I remember reading on here at the time that it was better to proceed that way.
I've never requested at the gate.. by then it's almost too late, or already too late.
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by pitz
Oh boy, not this mess again. Waitlisters > non-confirmed upgraders (of any status). The waitlist clears before any non-confirmed upgrades (of any status) clear.

Status only serves, at best, as a tie-breaker when it comes to waitlisted passengers. An AP "confirmed in Y/X, ticketed in I/J" seat is a passenger waitlisted for J, not a passenger looking for an upgrade. They've already "paid" for J service, but just couldn't confirm such seating.

That's not true. There are lots of cases of SEMM's with e-upgrade requests active, who sit in the back, because there's no R space to confirm the coupon upgraders into. But a plane will never travel with J positive space and a waitlist that hasn't fully cleared. Revenue management, for whatever reasons, may not make upgrade space available, but they can't inhibit a waitlist clearing unless the plane goes out full with confirmed pax.

Of course, I'd never advise one book an overseas segment without confirmation, as its AC's well-known goal to sell as many confirmed upgrades or better yet, confirmed revenue seats, prior to flight time, leaving no space to clear the waitlist into, let alone provide any upgrade space beyond the paltry amount of confirmed upgrade space that's made available.
There is no "waitlist" in DCS. There is the onload list. It is one single list. The waitlists are merged into the onload list some time before departure, where a bunch of waitlisted entries drop off because they're not eligible for DCS.

And you can't waitlist for I-class on AC anyway. If you were waitlisted, you'd be LL, PS, PA, or some other code that is not HK.

I have had X->I clear both before and after eUps, depending on status of other pax. I have ample anecdotes and hard evidence for this that I'm happy to share in person, but not online.

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
I hope that's covered in the other thread, but the earlier you can do it, the better. If the GA doesn't know how, and you're asking 2 minutes before check-in closes, you're screwed. If you ask at check-in, you still have fallbacks if they can't do it.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Academic
What are your start and end points, and preferred dates?
We will be in Albania (2 people), so start point is kind of fluid but technically TIA. Need to get to DFW by 8/3/19. Happy to go a few days early, position ourselves etc. Been looking at FCO, IST, ATH, DBV, but really anywhere is fine- we'd be happy to pay cash for part of the adventure but would like to make our miles work for us somehow that makes sense. Have 650k Marriott points, 360k AA. AA seems to be tough as YQ fees are high. Thanks for any insight. I feel like I'm just wasting time on ExpertFlyer/ money on AwardNexus when I have little intuition on what to search for- but I get that it's a busy time.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:37 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
How many Aeroplan points do you get with 650k Marriot?
Old May 1, 2019, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
TIA-LJU-CPH-BOS-YUL on JP/JP/SK/AC on Aug.1 for 2 in business - there should only be about $100 of YQ
overnight in YUL and then YUL-DFW on AC nonstop on Aug.2 arriving in DFW at 17:19

Search United.com for possible routings as well, there is no need to buy Expertflyer.
Apart from Aer Lingus, those will be the same seats available for Aeroplan bookings via phone.
Aeroplan will have more domestic seats available not displayed on united.com
Old May 1, 2019, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RZR
How many Aeroplan points do you get with 650k Marriot?
About 270k
Old May 2, 2019, 4:11 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by coregis

About 270k
Yikes, keep those for hotel nights then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.