Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mellon
since AC has a 60% OTP, and you had 150 segments you need to go to Vegas, since you only had 3 IRROPS
I didn't say I had only 3 occasions of landing late...
Old May 9, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I didn't say I had only 3 occasions of landing late...
OK in that case I don't want to go to Vegas with you anymore
Old May 9, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by mellon
OK in that case I don't want to go to Vegas with you anymore
We know he has a tenor sax he can pawn. That is like $200 you can play with.
smallmj and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by RangerNS
As long as he doesn't start selling off the kids...
Old May 11, 2019, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by RangerNS
Kids and Sax, perhaps the entire lot for $500! And if the flight is to Europe we can get another 600e from AC because the flight will be late
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
What time is used to determine when a flight departs? I’m sitting on the tarmac on 8041 right now. Flight scheduled to depart at 17:05. It is now 17:50 and plane hasn’t moved, with no indication it will any time soon. Pilot blames delayed approval of flight plan by traffic control. Anyhow, the AC app shows we departed early at 17:02. So, does the fact that they closed the door on time mean that we departed on time for the purposes of calculating performance?
By the way, it is bad enough that AC has a CR9 on a 4.5 hour flight, but to be sitting on the ground for what is well over an extra hour, when you count the boarding time, makes it much worse.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac/elite
What time is used to determine when a flight departs? I’m sitting on the tarmac on 8041 right now. Flight scheduled to depart at 17:05. It is now 17:50 and plane hasn’t moved, with no indication it will any time soon. Pilot blames delayed approval of flight plan by traffic control. Anyhow, the AC app shows we departed early at 17:02. So, does the fact that they closed the door on time mean that we departed on time for the purposes of calculating performance?
By the way, it is bad enough that AC has a CR9 on a 4.5 hour flight, but to be sitting on the ground for what is well over an extra hour, when you count the boarding time, makes it much worse.
Isn't departure mesured at block time? Mind you, arrival will be late. Still, could be all sort of reasons outside AC's control if boarding and luggage loading completed on time and the plane left the gate.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:10 am

What time is used to determine when a flight departs?
Brake release to brake set. Same as crew pay.
The sooner the brakes are off, the sooner the money rolls in.

Pilot blames delayed approval of flight plan by traffic control.
I believe the real reason was Jazz wasn't able to electronically file flight plans. Flight plans had to be faxed or phoned in.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by tracon
I believe the real reason was Jazz wasn't able to electronically file flight plans. Flight plans had to be faxed or phoned in.
In other words, this delay is 100% the fault of the airline. They know the departure time months in advance. Not the passenger’s fault that AC or one of its subsidiaries can’t get their act together.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
AC OTP for July among the worst in the world

Amusing myself by reading the July OTP report. I know AC isn’t exactly a world leader in OTP, but among global airlines one might hope they could at least crack the Top 50 list.

Nope.

Try ranking 113th worldwide, with a spectacular 65.9% OTP for July 2019.

I guess all that snow and de-icing really adds up.

Westjet, by comparison, did make the top 50, ranking 29th with an 81.2% OTP.

Okay AC apologists … flame away.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Very bad OTP vs other major airlines.

As AC transitions more MAX aircraft into the fleet (once the ban is lifted), and the older airbus aircraft are retired I am certain OTP will improve, at least domestically.

As a KPI, I doubt AC is simply ignoring the OTP issue. However, until the MAX and A220 have replaced a good chunk of the current domestic fleet, I doubt we will see much improvement in this metric.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by AC7E7
Very bad OTP vs other major airlines.

As AC transitions more MAX aircraft into the fleet (once the ban is lifted), and the older airbus aircraft are retired I am certain OTP will improve, at least domestically.

As a KPI, I doubt AC is simply ignoring the OTP issue. However, until the MAX and A220 have replaced a good chunk of the current domestic fleet, I doubt we will see much improvement in this metric.
What are you in about?
Since the grounding ACs OTP has actually improved. They weren't even pulling in 50% in Feb.

And yes AC is ignoring it, as long as profits keep rising, why care?
arf04, Symmetre and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: TK *G
Does AC have relative old fleet among the carriers listed? I don’t think so.

And whose responsibility is it to keep the fleet modern and well maintained?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by rankourabu
What are you in about?
Since the grounding ACs OTP has actually improved. They weren't even pulling in 50% in Feb.

And yes AC is ignoring it, as long as profits keep rising, why care?
Maybe if profits are increasing, perhaps OTP is not as an important a metric as many here believe....
If OTP was impacting the bottom line, I would agree. However, the financials currently say otherwise.

Have we all drilled down into the numbers to determine why OTP is where it is?
- Is it due to maintenance?
- Is it scheduling that is too tight?
- If the flights are late, how late are they? 15, 20, 45 mins late? If 90% of the late flights are less than 15 minutes past what is considered late (an example), would pouring millions of $ into improving OTP really improve revenue, and if so, by how much?

I suspect most most of us here have not because we do not have access to that kind of information. But guess what? AC does. Saying AC is ignoring the issue is a little simplistic. Like all businesses, AC keeps their eyes on a set of key performance indicators. OTP is one of them. It is possible that the ROI to improve OTP is minimal and not worth the investment.

I am truly amazed how deeply passionate and opinionated many here are about OTP. If AC’s OTP negatively impacts your life, I implore you to move your business to WS, and/or others. If enough of you do this, maybe they will pay more attention to OTP. Otherwise, I’m not sure what else can be done. $ talks.

Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by AC7E7

What leads you to believe the dismal OTP is based upon "the older Airbus aircraft? Also, new aircraft don't necessarily lead to improved dispatch reliability. Remember the E190?

I have as much access to the reasons for AC's poor OTP as the next person (ie: next to none), but my observations suggest that human factors (insufficient staffing of ground crews for one) create minor delays that snowball throughout the operational period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.