Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Delays cannot follow a normal distribution, as there is a lower bound. That is, a flight cannot be delayed less than 0 seconds; a flight delayed by a negative time is not a delayed flight - it arrived early. Meanwhile, there is no upper bound to how long a flight can be delayed (particularly with Air Canada.)

You are looking for something more like a Poisson distribution.
Technically correct, but I didn't want to get overly complicated. Use a log-normal distribution if you crave for precision. But for simplicity, take a population of arrival times (ignore the actual schedule), calculate the mean and standard deviation, add two standard deviations to the mean and you'll get the latest probable arrival time with 97.5% confidence. Or close enough for all practical purposes, as we say in the engineering world.
Old May 7, 2019, 2:36 am
Original Member

Only 2 SD?

I dunno... isn't Air Canada a six sigma outfit?
skybluesea likes this.
Old May 7, 2019, 7:13 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I ll give you props for doing a data analysis. I dont have time to cherry pick dates/routes,so lets just go with AC block times are 5 minutes longer on average than the US3 (and I would assume Westjet)

With the average delay time of 55 minutes - does it really make an impact?
And if so, how much of an impact. Would AC go from 47% on time to 70% to be on par with the competition?
How many percent of AC fights arrive between 15 and 20 minutes late?
Nice of you to agree with me, but would have been good if you didn't have to throw in an insult about cherry-picking, which is totally untrue, to diminish it.

But you're looking at this the wrong way, because it's not just about how many flights are delayed by less than the 10-15 minutes by which AC may under-block, because delays accumulate. If a narrowbody does ~5 segments a day when it's flying, here's how that might work out:
  • Segment 1: 10 minutes over block, arrival 10 minutes late, officially on time
  • Segment 2: start 10 minutes late, 10 minutes over block, arrival 20 minutes late, officially late by 5 minutes
  • Segment 3: start 20 minutes late, 10 minutes over block, arrival 30 minutes late, officially late by 15 minutes
  • Segment 4: start 30 minutes late, 10 minutes over block, arrival 40 minutes late, officially late by 25 minutes
  • Segment 5: start 40 minutes late, 10 minutes over block, arrival 50 minutes late, officially late by 35 minutes
In this example, under-blocking by only 10 minutes has led to OTP of 20%. Only one of the flights was "late" by less than the 10 minutes by which the flights were under-blocked, yet 100% of the delays were caused by under-blocking.

This is obviously simplistic and assumes the plane doesn't have slack time at a hub built in. Some turns are not nearly so demanding. But there are also times when a plane is scheduled to fly even more turns all day on YYZ-YUL, YYC-YVR, etc and where it's even worse.

Obviously not every flight is 10 minutes over block time. And sometimes a delay on one flight can be made up on the next flight. But this is an illustration of how delays caused by under-blocking can compound throughout the day, having an outsized impact on OTP. And if flights are consistently under-blocked, that compounding impact will be meaningful when measured across the whole schedule.
​​
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Why does AC consider flights that arrive within 30 minutes of schedule to be "on time?"

I've noticed this several times this winter ... we arrive 15 minutes, 20 minutes, even 25 minutes after schedule and the crew say "welcome to Toronto/Vancouver/Ottawa/Wherever with our on-time arrival."
I have not had this experience. If anything, I've heard pilots apologize a number of times for small delays that don't even officially count as late.

Originally Posted by Sopwith
It would be interesting to see a proper statistical analysis, i.e. mean delay time and standard deviation so you could assess the necessary connection time to reduce the odds of a misconnect to something acceptable.

(For those unfamiliar, if you assume the delayed arrival times follow a normal distribution, the scheduled arrival time plus mean delay plus two standard deviations equates to a 97.5% probability you will arrive before that time.)
Originally Posted by KenHamer
Delays cannot follow a normal distribution, as there is a lower bound. That is, a flight cannot be delayed less than 0 seconds; a flight delayed by a negative time is not a delayed flight - it arrived early. Meanwhile, there is no upper bound to how long a flight can be delayed (particularly with Air Canada.)

You are looking for something more like a Poisson distribution.
Delays can be negative, it just means a flight was early. That being said, there's generally a practical limit to how early a flight can be given the amount of time needed in the air can only be compressed so much, so I agree that the distribution is not even. In fact, I noted that in a post upthread. (Although I was thinking F distribution rather than Poisson, but it has been a very long time since I took a stats class). I also linked to an interesting paper on delays that you gentlemen might find interesting.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: *$ Green
Just assume the delay data is log normal distributed.

Then you can just ln() your data and work with a normal distribution. Make everyone's life easier, we already have it hard enough posting on the same topic every month lol
Old May 8, 2019, 8:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Air Canada has a shareholders meeting this week I wonder if they discussed being the worst in the world for OTP? Or of they had any plans to improve?
Old May 8, 2019, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by mellon
Air Canada has a shareholders meeting this week I wonder if they discussed being the worst in the world for OTP? Or of they had any plans to improve?
They ll get on that right after discussing fixing the broken J seats*

*assuming there is time leftover from counting all the profit money
mellon likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
"Okay, Shareholders, we have a choice to make! I know we continue to expand our EBITDA each quarter and our earnings per share continue to rise, but there's a couple of troubling things we may want to address.

Firstly, there's the deflating seats - a real pain in the butt. Secondly, there's a monthly report that comes out showing that our OTP is one of the worst in the world.

The problem for us is that DOZENS of people on this online forum called FlyerTalk are upset about both. The seats are a relatively easy fix and in the grand scheme wouldn't cost us much, but I say we continue to ignore it. Fixing the OTP, however, will definitely affect our bottom line. Who thinks we should become less profitable to fix this problem so we don't get these complaints from dozens of anonymous people who probably wouldn't fly AC even if it were fixed?"
skybluesea, m.y, ridefar and 1 others like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
In an ideal world fixing the OTP would improve the bottom line. But then we have all those infrequent flyers who make their selections based on the absolute lowest stripped-down fare quotations without considering (a) all of the hidden add-ons; and (b) what they are actually buying.

How long will it be before airlines start charging resort fees?
Old May 8, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by Sopwith
In an ideal world fixing the OTP would improve the bottom line. But then we have all those infrequent flyers who make their selections based on the absolute lowest stripped-down fare quotations without considering (a) all of the hidden add-ons; and (b) what they are actually buying.

How long will it be before airlines start charging resort fees?
And also FF who are smart enough to factor OTP into schedule and still are happy (enough) with AC.
Old May 8, 2019, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Factoring OTP into the schedule was just reason for this FF's decision to abandon blind loyalty to AC
rankourabu, RangerNS and mellon like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Factoring OTP into the schedule was just reason for this FF's decision to abandon blind loyalty to AC
another reason to avoid AC, is IRROPS.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:38 am

Interestingly, this is one of the foremost reasons I stick with AC. As an SE they work pretty quickly to get my situation fixed. UA wouldn't do much for me in IRROPS but I'm confident they would move mountains for you, a 1K.
Plumber likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Easy to say when you dont have to fly for work domestically and/or dont live in a city with other options.... Apparently it seems that quite a few here have resigned themselves to the OTP, and are actually wasting their own time trying to account/plan for ACs unreliability.... And have managed to convince themselves that its ok ....

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Interestingly, this is one of the foremost reasons I stick with AC. As an SE they work pretty quickly to get my situation fixed. UA wouldn't do much for me in IRROPS but I'm confident they would move mountains for you, a 1K.
That they do. Every time. Except they dont have to do it as often as AC does for you.
mellon likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu

That they do. Every time. Except they dont have to do it as often as AC does for you.
I'm a sample size of 1, and have only been a "FF" for 1 year and an occasional traveler for several years before that, so I would never apply my stats to anyone beyond me and I couldn't care less what airline a person prefers, however...

Roughly 150 AC segments
Roughly 35 UA segments

AC - 3 IRROPS, 2 weather, 1 mechanical - all fixed faster than I could hope
UA - 4 IRROPS, 3 weather, 1 mechanical - 2 of them dealt with to my satisfaction, 2 flubbed so badly I actively avoid UA

So for this guy at least, I'm flying the right airline - the one that has to fix their mistakes less frequently. I'm certain you feel the same for yourself. I'm glad UA takes good care of you. Happy flying!
Old May 9, 2019, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I'm a sample size of 1, and have only been a "FF" for 1 year and an occasional traveler for several years before that, so I would never apply my stats to anyone beyond me and I couldn't care less what airline a person prefers, however...

Roughly 150 AC segments
Roughly 35 UA segments

AC - 3 IRROPS, 2 weather, 1 mechanical - all fixed faster than I could hope
UA - 4 IRROPS, 3 weather, 1 mechanical - 2 of them dealt with to my satisfaction, 2 flubbed so badly I actively avoid UA

So for this guy at least, I'm flying the right airline - the one that has to fix their mistakes less frequently. I'm certain you feel the same for yourself. I'm glad UA takes good care of you. Happy flying!
since AC has a 60% OTP, and you had 150 segments you need to go to Vegas, since you only had 3 IRROPS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.