Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Old Aug 13, 21, 10:36 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by YYZC2 View Post
Pretty major crew constraints at Jazz over the past few days.

If you see a Jazz cancellation and the cause isn't otherwise apparent, it's very likely a Flight Ops staffing issue.
​​​
Originally Posted by YXEGeordie View Post
Was stranded at YYC last week as flight was cancelled due to "crew restraints." Heard from staff that Jazz had retired lots pilots and there were cancellations all over the place as a result.
Does the captain stopping at Starbucks to get a coffee count as a staffing issue? I'm not impressed that my Jazz flight was delayed over 30 minutes due to a late-arriving captain, and when he finally strolled up, he had what looked to be a pretty full Starbucks cup in his hand.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 21, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
As expected, with flights increasing (up to 13634 flights in July), AC is slipping in the rankings (45th in June to 83rd in July)

If they work hard enough, perhaps by winter, AC can be its usual self with <50% on time performance like the good ol days!

Symmetre likes this.
Old Aug 13, 21, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
As expected, with flights increasing (up to 13634 flights in July), AC is slipping in the rankings (45th in June to 83rd in July)

If they work hard enough, perhaps by winter, AC can be its usual self with <50% on time performance like the good ol days!

I told my friend that things are looking back to normal since AC is bringing back their delays.
Old Aug 13, 21, 2:07 pm

Programs: AC E35K, UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, National Exec Elite
Sitting here at IAD. We got here at 10:30 this morning for our 12:20 pm to yyz. The 6 am was still sitting here with a mechanical. The 1045 left around 1115 with the 6 am shortly thereafter. The 1220 inbound aircraft arrived at 1230 from Toronto and has a mechanical issue. We might be out of here at 4 if lucky. The 445 departure is also now showing late because of late inbound.

Yikes, nothing on time almost all week here.
Old Aug 13, 21, 2:28 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by littlea905 View Post
Sitting here at IAD. We got here at 10:30 this morning for our 12:20 pm to yyz. The 6 am was still sitting here with a mechanical. The 1045 left around 1115 with the 6 am shortly thereafter. The 1220 inbound aircraft arrived at 1230 from Toronto and has a mechanical issue. We might be out of here at 4 if lucky. The 445 departure is also now showing late because of late inbound.

Yikes, nothing on time almost all week here.
Sounds like LGA in the Before Times.

Not to ruin your day further, but isn't there also a ground stop at IAD right now for thunderstorms?
Old Aug 13, 21, 6:06 pm
m.y

Programs: AC *E HHonors Gold

Easy, AC will blame delays on international flights on COVID checks, and delayed processing at Canadian airports!
Old Aug 13, 21, 8:20 pm
Suspended

where did you find the number of flights per month that AC was operating ?
Old Aug 14, 21, 12:14 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Plat, DL PM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Absolute gong show on AC224 tonight. Late inbound led to 20 minutes late departure. Lack of ramp crew at YYC led to at least 10 minutes sitting on the apron. Then wait for someone to move the jetbridge. Altogether, 47 minutes late on a flight with 1:20 block time. So, well done AC. On top of that, it was probably 10 minutes after "arrival" (i.e. brake set) before they had the door open.
Old Aug 14, 21, 12:36 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Absolute gong show on AC224 tonight. Late inbound led to 20 minutes late departure. Lack of ramp crew at YYC led to at least 10 minutes sitting on the apron. Then wait for someone to move the jetbridge. Altogether, 47 minutes late on a flight with 1:20 block time. So, well done AC. On top of that, it was probably 10 minutes after "arrival" (i.e. brake set) before they had the door open.
Look at it another way, you are getting maximizing the value of your UFP by spending every second possible onboard.

Kinda like when I play golf - for the money I pay, I want to spend the maximum amount of time hitting the ball as many times as I can.
marke190 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 21, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by hemustbeaboss View Post
where did you find the number of flights per month that AC was operating ?
All numbers come from publicly available monthly OAG reports.
Old Aug 15, 21, 7:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I’ve had nothing go out on time last few days. International into YYZ was a total gong show last night. Fortunately my nexus card saved me but I still had to overnight in YYZ (on AC’s dime). 165 is already 35 min late this am due to “special baggage” coming to be loaded. AC is back to being it’s totally disorganised self. I’m starting to dread a trip to Europe in early September based on how this is going.
Old Aug 15, 21, 11:20 am

Programs: AC S100K, BW Diamond Select
I had 3 flights Friday and all 3 were delayed 30 minutes+. Cost me extra in parking fees as I exceeded my time allotment.
Old Aug 15, 21, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
You have to admire Air Canada's consistency.
arf04 and TTC900Rocket like this.
Old Aug 15, 21, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA 1K, AC 75k, WN A+/CP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
AC Crew Issues and Scheduling (August 2021)

Ive been noticing significant delays and cancelations the past few days. Is this going to continue? Any idea what is going on?
Old Aug 15, 21, 6:40 pm

Customs delays in YYZ are weighing things down to a significant degree, and challenging an already tight schedule.

Will it continue? Depends how quickly AC/Jazz can get Pilots and FAs retrained and back online. Will also depend customs ability to process faster.

Search this Thread