Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Old Mar 4, 20, 7:32 pm
  #181  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 7,533
Who's got the February OTP numbers?
I'm curious as to what effect $1bn in increased a/c availability has had.
tracon is offline  
Old Mar 4, 20, 8:36 pm
  #182  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Posts: 2,479
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 20 at 2:56 pm
skybluesea is offline  
Old Mar 5, 20, 6:08 am
  #183  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,653
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
Who's got the February OTP numbers?
I'm curious as to what effect $1bn in increased a/c availability has had.
OAG does.
59.4%, a significant improvement for AC, but still almost worst in North America, they did beat out Swoop tho!

5.8% cancellation rate, also worst.




Rank #148/156 on OTP worldwide.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Mar 5, 20, 10:19 am
  #184  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: YYZ ✈ YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,742
So let me get this straight.

Westjet achieves 78.4% OTP and a 2.6% cancellation rate.

AC - operating out of the same Canadian airports and subject to the same Canadian weather - is 59.4% OTP with a 5.8% cancellation rate.

So what's the excuse this time? It only snowed at Terminal 1?
Symmetre is offline  
Old Mar 5, 20, 10:25 am
  #185  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver
Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 1,206
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
So let me get this straight.

Westjet achieves 78.4% OTP and a 2.6% cancellation rate.

AC - operating out of the same Canadian airports and subject to the same Canadian weather - is 59.4% OTP with a 5.8% cancellation rate.

So what's the excuse this time? It only snowed at Terminal 1?
It would interesting to look at a block time comparison between the 2 carriers. Does Westjet allow more time in their schedule for things like deicing? It would also be interesting to know what the OTP breakdown is by domestic versus transborder versus international. It seems that the AC Express schedule (not sure if that is included in the numbers) in Alberta is so tight that they invariably run behind if there is only a slight delay.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Old Mar 5, 20, 1:12 pm
  #186  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Posts: 22,653
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
It would interesting to look at a block time comparison between the 2 carriers. Does Westjet allow more time in their schedule for things like deicing? It would also be interesting to know what the OTP breakdown is by domestic versus transborder versus international. It seems that the AC Express schedule (not sure if that is included in the numbers) in Alberta is so tight that they invariably run behind if there is only a slight delay.
That would be a good excuse for AC, wouldnt it be?
Here are 4 random routes from this week, I would expect the pattern to be the same elsewhere - ie. a wash between the two

I would actually argue that Westjet should is far more vulnerable to weather - a higher percentage of all their flights operate in Canada/cold parts of the US. But yet, every single month, they come out far ahead of AC in the rankings.


rankourabu is offline  
Old Mar 5, 20, 1:42 pm
  #187  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,132
Westjet has to try to be good at SOMETHING*. They seemingly chose the area that everyone knows by now AC completely ignores.

*Yes, I'm biased. I really despise flying Westjet. I hated it long before I ever had status with AC or anyone else.
WaytoomuchEurope is offline  
Old Mar 5, 20, 3:16 pm
  #188  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Posts: 2,777
I'm going to suggest something I've said before in the context of AC's customer service generally. It is only possible for their OTP to have been as bad as it is for as long as it has been if the executive doesn't care or actually wants it to be that way. Clearly AC thinks that improving their OTP will not significantly improve their profitability, and consistent with their general mentality, they simply don't care about the effect of this on the customers as long as we pay.

The customers might call it negligence. AC would call it good business.
Sopwith is offline  
Old Mar 5, 20, 4:20 pm
  #189  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: YYZ ✈ YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,742
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I'm going to suggest something I've said before in the context of AC's customer service generally. It is only possible for their OTP to have been as bad as it is for as long as it has been if the executive doesn't care or actually wants it to be that way. Clearly AC thinks that improving their OTP will not significantly improve their profitability, and consistent with their general mentality, they simply don't care about the effect of this on the customers as long as we pay.

The customers might call it negligence. AC would call it good business.
I don't call it negligence. I call it something to consider when I book a flight.

If I need to be there on time, I book on Westjet. Or one of the US carriers.

There aren't too many occasions where I think " yeah, I can afford to spend seven hours hanging around the airport" and book AC for the hell of it.
rankourabu and skybluesea like this.
Symmetre is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 12:41 pm
  #190  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver
Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Posts: 1,206
Waiting to board 332 to YUL and were delayed. 168 right beside is also delayed. Both due to grooming. This airline is rather pathetic in terms of getting anything off on time.
EdmFlyBoi is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 1:50 pm
  #191  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,132
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
Waiting to board 332 to YUL and were delayed. 168 right beside is also delayed. Both due to grooming. This airline is rather pathetic in terms of getting anything off on time.
Would be interesting to know if other airlines are taking longer for grooming right now too - I suspect there are extra measures right now given Covid-19
WaytoomuchEurope is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:12 pm
  #192  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Posts: 2,479
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 20 at 2:54 pm
skybluesea is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 3:16 pm
  #193  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,132
Originally Posted by skybluesea View Post
please do not give AC any more excuses for delay, they make up a lot already on their own without our help 🙏🏽
I wasn't making any excuses for their OTP. I don't think I ever have. If they have decided to (actually) clean the aircraft(s) it's on them to schedule enough time to do so. It was merely me pondering aloud.
skybluesea likes this.
WaytoomuchEurope is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 3:35 pm
  #194  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: YVR
Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
Posts: 2,479
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 20 at 2:51 pm
skybluesea is offline  
Old Mar 6, 20, 6:55 pm
  #195  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Programs: UA Silver
Posts: 1,905
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I'm going to suggest something I've said before in the context of AC's customer service generally. It is only possible for their OTP to have been as bad as it is for as long as it has been if the executive doesn't care or actually wants it to be that way. Clearly AC thinks that improving their OTP will not significantly improve their profitability, and consistent with their general mentality, they simply don't care about the effect of this on the customers as long as we pay.

The customers might call it negligence. AC would call it good business.
So blindingly true it hurts.
respectable_man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread