Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

AC now ranked "one of the worst performers" for OTP

Old Mar 4, 20, 7:32 pm

Who's got the February OTP numbers?
I'm curious as to what effect $1bn in increased a/c availability has had.
Old Mar 4, 20, 8:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 20 at 2:56 pm
Old Mar 5, 20, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by tracon View Post
Who's got the February OTP numbers?
I'm curious as to what effect $1bn in increased a/c availability has had.
OAG does.
59.4%, a significant improvement for AC, but still almost worst in North America, they did beat out Swoop tho!

5.8% cancellation rate, also worst.

Rank #148/156 on OTP worldwide.
Old Mar 5, 20, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
So let me get this straight.

Westjet achieves 78.4% OTP and a 2.6% cancellation rate.

AC - operating out of the same Canadian airports and subject to the same Canadian weather - is 59.4% OTP with a 5.8% cancellation rate.

So what's the excuse this time? It only snowed at Terminal 1?
Old Mar 5, 20, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
So let me get this straight.

Westjet achieves 78.4% OTP and a 2.6% cancellation rate.

AC - operating out of the same Canadian airports and subject to the same Canadian weather - is 59.4% OTP with a 5.8% cancellation rate.

So what's the excuse this time? It only snowed at Terminal 1?
It would interesting to look at a block time comparison between the 2 carriers. Does Westjet allow more time in their schedule for things like deicing? It would also be interesting to know what the OTP breakdown is by domestic versus transborder versus international. It seems that the AC Express schedule (not sure if that is included in the numbers) in Alberta is so tight that they invariably run behind if there is only a slight delay.
Old Mar 5, 20, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
It would interesting to look at a block time comparison between the 2 carriers. Does Westjet allow more time in their schedule for things like deicing? It would also be interesting to know what the OTP breakdown is by domestic versus transborder versus international. It seems that the AC Express schedule (not sure if that is included in the numbers) in Alberta is so tight that they invariably run behind if there is only a slight delay.
That would be a good excuse for AC, wouldnt it be?
Here are 4 random routes from this week, I would expect the pattern to be the same elsewhere - ie. a wash between the two

I would actually argue that Westjet should is far more vulnerable to weather - a higher percentage of all their flights operate in Canada/cold parts of the US. But yet, every single month, they come out far ahead of AC in the rankings.

Old Mar 5, 20, 1:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Westjet has to try to be good at SOMETHING*. They seemingly chose the area that everyone knows by now AC completely ignores.

*Yes, I'm biased. I really despise flying Westjet. I hated it long before I ever had status with AC or anyone else.
Old Mar 5, 20, 3:16 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I'm going to suggest something I've said before in the context of AC's customer service generally. It is only possible for their OTP to have been as bad as it is for as long as it has been if the executive doesn't care or actually wants it to be that way. Clearly AC thinks that improving their OTP will not significantly improve their profitability, and consistent with their general mentality, they simply don't care about the effect of this on the customers as long as we pay.

The customers might call it negligence. AC would call it good business.
Old Mar 5, 20, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I'm going to suggest something I've said before in the context of AC's customer service generally. It is only possible for their OTP to have been as bad as it is for as long as it has been if the executive doesn't care or actually wants it to be that way. Clearly AC thinks that improving their OTP will not significantly improve their profitability, and consistent with their general mentality, they simply don't care about the effect of this on the customers as long as we pay.

I don't call it negligence. I call it something to consider when I book a flight.

If I need to be there on time, I book on Westjet. Or one of the US carriers.

There aren't too many occasions where I think " yeah, I can afford to spend seven hours hanging around the airport" and book AC for the hell of it.
rankourabu and skybluesea like this.
Old Mar 6, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Waiting to board 332 to YUL and were delayed. 168 right beside is also delayed. Both due to grooming. This airline is rather pathetic in terms of getting anything off on time.
Old Mar 6, 20, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi View Post
Waiting to board 332 to YUL and were delayed. 168 right beside is also delayed. Both due to grooming. This airline is rather pathetic in terms of getting anything off on time.
Would be interesting to know if other airlines are taking longer for grooming right now too - I suspect there are extra measures right now given Covid-19
Old Mar 6, 20, 2:12 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 20 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 6, 20, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by skybluesea View Post
please do not give AC any more excuses for delay, they make up a lot already on their own without our help 🙏🏽
I wasn't making any excuses for their OTP. I don't think I ever have. If they have decided to (actually) clean the aircraft(s) it's on them to schedule enough time to do so. It was merely me pondering aloud.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 6, 20, 3:35 pm
Suspended

delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 20 at 2:51 pm
Old Mar 6, 20, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post

So blindingly true it hurts.

Search this Thread