Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Any options for international ticket change due to medical condition?

Any options for international ticket change due to medical condition?

Old May 19, 2019, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skybluesea
and what fare class on Delta ? AC sells lots of fares that are fully refundable without question.

it was just main cabin purchase.

Originally Posted by skybluesea
wish a speedy recovery
thanks, but there is no recovery on this one.
Old May 20, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by David Burr

it was just main cabin purchase.
That means... almost nothing.

Depending on how they brand things, Delta likely has 10 or more "main cabin purchase" options, that include (or not) seat selection, premium seating, prepaid meals, priority boarding, lounge access, different point collection schemes, and differing levels of refundability.

Pre-submit note: I see that Delta has a brand called "main" (where "basic" < "main" < "comfort+"). Still, a particular letter class branded as "main" has the above concepts, too.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Well they issued the travel credit. increased the "change fee" to $450 and said it can only be used by my mom. I guess they didn't read the medical note regarding the terminal cancer. or maybe they did and that the nice way of saying fu$k off. Signature Suite better have a happy ending.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:05 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Your Amex Platinum should have cancellation insurance, did you not try to get a refund through them first? They should have been able to fully refund the ticket for the reasons you gave.

Best wishes for you and your mother in these trying times.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:14 am
Original Poster

edit: amex said "platinum credit card itself does not have travel insurance"

however if she dies before 2020 we can get a refund.. sheesh. anyway im done with this. thanks for the comments

Last edited by David Burr; May 22, 2019 at 11:31 am
Old May 22, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
AMEX Platinum "CREDIT" Card does not include travel insurance. Only the CHARGE card does.
Old May 22, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

i only have the charge card. they said i had to purchase travel insurance to be covered.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/guide...tion-benefits/ confirms as well
Old May 22, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: hahaha
Originally Posted by David Burr
i only have the charge card. they said i had to purchase travel insurance to be covered.

https://millionmilesecrets.com/guide...tion-benefits/ confirms as well

Not sure if you have the US or Canadian AMEX Platinum charge card, but you linked info for the American one. The certs of insurance can usually be found by this URL on the AMEX site (below), but I've had this dumb link 404 for the past several months, so I'm not sure if there's another place you can find them:
https://www.insurance.americanexpres...-ENG-10.17.pdf
Old May 22, 2019, 4:31 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by asovse1
Not sure if you have the US or Canadian AMEX Platinum charge card, but you linked info for the American one. The certs of insurance can usually be found by this URL on the AMEX site (below), but I've had this dumb link 404 for the past several months, so I'm not sure if there's another place you can find them:
https://www.insurance.americanexpres...-ENG-10.17.pdf
I can get to the PDF and indeed, the Canadian Amex Platinum charge card has trip cancellation insurance and as shown on page 25, condition 3 would seem to indicate a refund is possible (even though this may not be the latest certs of insurance, I am sure the conditions are similar) for the entire trip.

The American one does not seem to have this insurance.

Once again, my sympathies to your mother and your family.

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; May 22, 2019 at 7:06 pm
Old May 22, 2019, 5:02 pm

As the OP is travelling to LHR from LAX, I assume he is US based and is therefore SOL based on difference with US Amex Plat. Let this be a cautionary tale to all those who book to make sure that they have the proper insurances in place when booking (either via CC or stand-alone). I recommend that people book with a CC that includes various coverages that may be required - even then it is important to know what is covered, and who is covered (especially if you're trying to book via points redemption).

Unfortunately airlines don't typically offer refunds, etc. for sickness (whether terminal or not); that's why there is a whole travel insurance industry that offer policies that cover items such as this.

Now, completely aside from the AC issue - OP - all the best to you and your mother. Hopefully you can enjoy whatever time is left.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.