Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Air Canada baggage claim tags - can I short check to LHR for 13 hour layover there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Air Canada baggage claim tags - can I short check to LHR for 13 hour layover there?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:47 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alinathomspon
I searched google and found people denied short checking. I don't want to short check or things like that and my intention is not hidden city, i just want to access my bag whenever needed in transit. I was just asking if Air Canada could provide me 2 different tags as per my request. I collect tags as hobby and would be great if they provide me 2 different tags.

Sounds weird but I am a tag collector. Do let me know thanks
AC will not give you 2 tags. You maybe also be charged for baggage on the flight out of LHR depending on your ticket if you short check your bag. You will be following the baggage policy of the airlines you are flying out of LHR and not AC baggage policy.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
It is probably good practice to have your first 3-4 days of clothing in carry on anyway.
Why? I check bags sometimes even on a day trip.... why?? Because if they lose it my CC delayed/lost baggage coverage means “SHOPPING SPREE”

I love checking bags!!!!
Twickenham, Bohemian1 and lsquare like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq

Why? I check bags sometimes even on a day trip.... why?? Because if they lose it my CC delayed/lost baggage coverage means “SHOPPING SPREE”

I love checking bags!!!!
Which card do you use for your airfare purchases? Also, the shopping spree may not be worth your time if you're flying to a small town or a place not known for shopping right?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by alinathomspon
I searched google and found people denied short checking. I don't want to short check or things like that and my intention is not hidden city, i just want to access my bag whenever needed in transit. I was just asking if Air Canada could provide me 2 different tags as per my request. I collect tags as hobby and would be great if they provide me 2 different tags.

Sounds weird but I am a tag collector. Do let me know thanks
If you are collecting tags, you could just fly on separate tickets. In this scenario, you will have one tag on your luggage and will be checked all the way to CPH.

But why would you book a 12-13 hour layover if you are just looking to have access to your luggage? Wouldn't the sensible thing to book a shorter layover, get to CPH, and retrieve your luggage there. Let's say you are able to retrieve your bags at LHR, are you planning to haul them around London for 12 hours or so?

Also, any issue with your flight to LHR, AC can reroute you on the nonstop flight from YYZ to CPH.

I understand the intention is not hidden city, but does the same ticket/reservation contain a return flight back to YYZ?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
Which card do you use for your airfare purchases? Also, the shopping spree may not be worth your time if you're flying to a small town or a place not known for shopping right?
Normally I use my AMEX Plat. $1000 CAD spree every time AC delays or loses my bags. WOOHOO!

It's always worth it in my opinion!
lsquare likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:29 am

It depends what the OP is planning to do. I fly YYZ - LHR - somewhere else in Europe several times a year. YYZ - LHR is the daytime flight AC868. The stop in LHR is overnight but less than 24 hours so it does not count as a stopover. AC akways checks my bag to LHR. I don't know if it's even possible to check it through.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
It depends what the OP is planning to do. I fly YYZ - LHR - somewhere else in Europe several times a year. YYZ - LHR is the daytime flight AC868. The stop in LHR is overnight but less than 24 hours so it does not count as a stopover. AC akways checks my bag to LHR. I don't know if it's even possible to check it through.
Hopefully you're not trying to do the day flight right now....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.