Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Air Canada baggage claim tags - can I short check to LHR for 13 hour layover there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Air Canada baggage claim tags - can I short check to LHR for 13 hour layover there?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Air Canada baggage claim tags - can I short check to LHR for 13 hour layover there?

Hi I am flying from Toronto YYZ to Copenhagen CPH via transit in London Heathrow LHR.

Does Air Canada provide me a single luggage claim tag or 2 tags i.e one for London and another for Copenhagen.?

Baggage claim tag YYZ-LHR-CPH(1 tag) or YYZ-LHR and LHR-CPH (2 separate tags)

Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:08 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alinathomspon
Hi I am flying from Toronto YYZ to Copenhagen CPH via transit in London Heathrow LHR.

Does Air Canada provide me a single luggage claim tag or 2 tags i.e one for London and another for Copenhagen.?

Baggage claim tag YYZ-LHR-CPH(1 tag) or YYZ-LHR and LHR-CPH (2 separate tags)

Thanks
You will receive 1 baggage tag(YYZ-LHR-CPH)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5mm
You will receive 1 baggage tag(YYZ-LHR-CPH)
Are you sure? Since this is a one single ticket, Can I request Air Canada to give me baggage tag separately so that I can access my bag because it's a 13 hours layover in Heathrow.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Are you sure? Since this is a one single ticket, Can I request Air Canada to give me baggage tag separately so that I can access my bag because it's a 13 hours layover in Heathrow.
No you cannot request them to tag it separately.

What you can do is request they "short check" the bag as far as LHR only. The issue then becomes that once the bag is checked to LHR only, you are stuck with it until check-in opens for your onward flight.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:16 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
You have to ask them to short check.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:18 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
You could try to ask them to short check your bag to LHR, but keep in mind that you would then need to exit customs and the secure zone with your bag, check it (again) and then go back through security and border control (maybe). That in itself could be an hour easy at LHR.

A better option would be to check the bag straight through and simply have enough of whatever stuff you want in carry on. But maybe I don't understand your goal here.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:25 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bohemian1

A better option would be to check the bag straight through and simply have enough of whatever stuff you want in carry on. But maybe I don't understand your goal here.
It sound like she/he is using London as a hidden city.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 5mm
It sound like she/he is using London as a hidden city.
Or they have a long connection and want to access the bags? I've certainly done that.
tecate55 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - If you intend to fly onwards to CPH, I would simply pack the things you require for 13 hours into your carry on. It is probably good practice to have your first 3-4 days of clothing in carry on anyway.

If you are using hidden city ticketing, the best practice is not to check luggage. Remember that AC's job is to get you to CPH. If your flight is cancelled, AC could reroute you through any other city and skip LON entirely.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
OP - If you intend to fly onwards to CPH, I would simply pack the things you require for 13 hours into your carry on. It is probably good practice to have your first 3-4 days of clothing in carry on anyway.

If you are using hidden city ticketing, the best practice is not to check luggage. Remember that AC's job is to get you to CPH. If your flight is cancelled, AC could reroute you through any other city and skip LON entirely.
Or if there are irrops there is also a chance that your bags might go to lhr/cph via a different routing than you. Or your flight to lhr could be diverted, etc and you could be delayed/rerouted so that you get to lhr 12 hours late and don’t have time to claim bag, etc.

Check bag through and take what you need as carry-on, if possible.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Does that mean Air Canada allow short checking baggage to international flight? I am seeing lots of discussion on other websites where flyers are talking about airlines denying short checking luggage, is this true and the case with Air Canada?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Does that mean Air Canada allow short checking baggage to international flight? I am seeing lots of discussion on other websites where flyers are talking about airlines denying short checking luggage, is this true and the case with Air Canada?
I think it would help if you just tell us what your intentions are. Are you scared that AC is going to find out what your plans through FT?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
What are these websites that you've read about people being denied short checks?

People have posted in this forum about being able to short check with AC.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
What are these websites that you've read about people being denied short checks?

People have posted in this forum about being able to short check with AC.
I searched google and found people denied short checking. I don't want to short check or things like that and my intention is not hidden city, i just want to access my bag whenever needed in transit. I was just asking if Air Canada could provide me 2 different tags as per my request. I collect tags as hobby and would be great if they provide me 2 different tags.

Sounds weird but I am a tag collector. Do let me know thanks
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I searched google and found people denied short checking. I don't want to short check or things like that and my intention is not hidden city, i just want to access my bag whenever needed in transit. I was just asking if Air Canada could provide me 2 different tags as per my request. I collect tags as hobby and would be great if they provide me 2 different tags.

Sounds weird but I am a tag collector. Do let me know thanks
No, not weird at all (at least for FT), IMHO.

Then as per others above, you can short check with AC to LHR, but then after getting to LHR you have to clear passport control and go pick up your luggage, and then eventually re-check it back in and go back through security to catch your onward flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.