Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Roll Call: Post 737Max Return to Service Flights - Your Plans (Planned/Reality)

Roll Call: Post 737Max Return to Service Flights - Your Plans (Planned/Reality)

Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by skybluesea

OP, I asked a legitimate question - because you, and many others here simply won’t even acknowledge the facts in the Tariff, then strikes me you are either making an uninformed purchase (happens all the time), or more likely remarkable bravado to boldly state on this Forum what you will do when MAX likely returns to service - but when you are confronted with an aircraft swap that goes unnoticed until you have boarded and in your seat - the question stands, do you de-board, miss your flight, and maybe even lose your airfare?

But of course best never to ask on FT real life questions because it may expose what FTers say here and actually do are miles apart!

good luck with your fantasy poll - and attacking me doesn’t make my question go away.
Sorry, but what you talking about? How would an aircraft swap go unnoticed until one is in his seat? Scotty would beam the pax into the seat? That said, another question is if one can still SDC when checked in and the flight is boarding.

Now, with this out of the way, as far as my future behaviour is concerned, you're right. It is currently very simple for me to avoid the 737-8 when I only have one return trip planned for the whole year and the probability of the aircraft swap to 737-8 on the route I'm taking is close to zero. But at the same time I'm looking for a field job. Should I finally break through of the barrier built of desire having the service department located in Toronto and reinforced with ageism, I wouldn't complicate my relationship with my new employer by avoiding certain flights. Definitely not in the beginning.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
1. Sadly, likely yes.
2. Yes, but more for comfort reasons than safety.

Given that AC had elected to use the 7M8 as the backbone of its single-aisle fleet moving forward, it’s going to become impossible to avoid flying on it. But I will continue to favour other options whenever it is possible to do so. That includes booking on other airlines.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:42 am
Original Poster

OP, I asked a legitimate question - because you, and many others here simply won’t even acknowledge the facts in the Tariff, then strikes me you are either making an uninformed purchase (happens all the time), or more likely remarkable bravado to boldly state on this Forum what you will do when MAX likely returns to service - but when you are confronted with an aircraft swap that goes unnoticed until you have boarded and in your seat - the question stands, do you de-board, miss your flight, and maybe even lose your airfare?

But of course best never to ask on FT real life questions because it may expose what FTers say here and actually do are miles apart!

good luck with your fantasy poll - and attacking me doesn’t make my question go away.

LOL. Yes, I guess most of us planning in this way are mostly just idiots.

I do about 150,000 miles a year. I'm intimately familiar with last minute aircraft swaps, having lived through the 767 swapping on YYZ-YVR back in the 2000's.

Most my flying is on Flight Passes, Latitude, so I have flexibility. I use ExpertFlyer, so I'll probably set myself up with aircraft change alerts. Many of the routes on which the 737Max were on service have multiple flights, so yes, I have options. SDC too.

So yes, I can consciously and *actively* be aware and involved in the choice.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Sorry, but what you talking about? How would an aircraft swap go unnoticed until one is in his seat? Scotty would beam the pax into the seat? That said, another question is if one can still SDC when checked in and the flight is boarding.

Now, with this out of the way, as far as my future behaviour is concerned, you're right. It is currently very simple for me to avoid the 737-8 when I only have one return trip planned for the whole year and the probability of the aircraft swap to 737-8 on the route I'm taking is close to zero. But at the same time I'm looking for a field job. Should I finally break through of the barrier built of desire having the service department located in Toronto and reinforced with ageism, I wouldn't complicate my relationship with my new employer by avoiding certain flights. Definitely not in the beginning.
Agreed. I've had swaps I wasn't aware about until I stepped on the plane (320 -> 789, CRA -> DH4, etc.), but it was mostly because I didn't care (at least not to the extent of people avoiding the 7M8). But no one who actually cares is going to get into their seat without noticing. And I'd hope anyone who cares enough to avoid it would look out the window, or check the app before boarding (as it has accurate and up-to-date information).

And you can definitely easily SDC off a boarding flight. You cannot easily SDC onto a boarding flight (it requires the GA).
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC E50K MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
No.
Yes.

I would get off the aircraft.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
And you can definitely easily SDC off a boarding flight. You cannot easily SDC onto a boarding flight (it requires the GA).
Will be interesting reading EF delay alerts when 737Max re-enters service. I predict this one will be fairly common:

"DELAY 0:45L DUE MULTIPLE PAX REFUSAL TO FLY MAX AIRCRAFT, BAGGAGE OFFLOAD REQUIRED"

Could of course lead to crew timeouts and flight cancellations as well.
Simon, canadiancow and Jumper Jack like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Apr 23, 2019 at 1:38 am
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
Has there been any word

No

Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
or speculation on Air Canada

AC isn't stupid. They will go from one all in truth tube to the next. If (when) they put the MAX back in service they will have total confidence in them
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RangerNS
No

AC isn't stupid. They will go from one all in truth tube to the next. If (when) they put the MAX back in service they will have total confidence in them
If (when) they put the MAX back in service they will appear to have total confidence in them. FTFY. As they had total confidence up to the time they were grounded. Heck, I don't think they have ever said they don't have total confidence in them. Even right now.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes.
No. Personally.

With Mrs.acysb87 the order is reversed IOW, No and Yes

I was on a few 737 max flights this year and last year. I was actually looking forward to seeing what hype was all about.
The hype may be less evident on my next 737MAX flight
Plumber likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Yes
No

I'm based in Alberta, and it seems that the 7M8s were taking over most of the YEG/YYC-YYZ flights before they were pulled, so avoiding them once they're back will be tough. Also, for 3-4 hour flights, I actually don't really care as far as comfort goes. In Y+, I'm fine.

Where I would avoid them - based purely on comfort - is on TATL flights. 3-4 hours is one thing, but once we get into 6,7 hours, I draw the line!
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Unless I'm mistaken there is a thread in which to discuss all MAX matters so let's please refocus this thread to being about the thread topic which is a roll call of what AC forum members plan to do if and when the ban on the aircraft is lifted and it return to service.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.