Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Has anyone transferred mile from AmEx to AirCanada to book codeshare on United?

Old Apr 17, 19, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold

I have over 120,000 AmEx points and want to transfer them to Aeroplan to book an Air Canada ticket IAH-EZE on United metal (Polaris)

Is this easy and a good idea?
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Is it easy? Yes, it's very easy to transfer Amex MR to Aeroplan.

It's it a good idea? Depends on what you want to use your miles for. If you really want a trip to EZE and want to do it on points, that's probably a good way to do it. Of course, there are many other uses of points, so you have to figure out if that's the right use.

Are you based in the US? If so, you may want to check mileage tables or ask in the Amex forum whether Aeroplan is the best value to book this ticket - Amex MR in the US can also be transferred to ANA and Avianca, which would likely have similar availability of award seats on United as Aeroplan would, so you might be better off transferring your MR there and getting the ticket through one of those programs. No idea whether that's actually the case though.

P.S. A codeshare flight has nothing to do with this. A codeshare is when one airline sells you a ticket for another airline's flight using its own flight number, e.g. UA selling a seat on AC8105 as "UA8401". Rewards tickets are never on codeshares, always on the operating carrier's flight number (i e. you can book a points ticket on AC8105 but not UA8401).
Old Apr 17, 19, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Assuming the flight is available via Aeroplan - the AMEX points will transfer immediately, and you can use them.

However, the transfer is irreversable, so you better make sure your redemption is available. Perhaps a good idea is to call in (and pay the $30 fee), and after the phone agent grabs the seats, hit transfer on the AMEX. They will be there within a minute.
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:48 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Assuming the flight is available via Aeroplan - the AMEX points will transfer immediately, and you can use them.

However, the transfer is irreversable, so you better make sure your redemption is available. Perhaps a good idea is to call in (and pay the $30 fee), and after the phone agent grabs the seats, hit transfer on the AMEX. They will be there within a minute.
Are transfers to other Amex partners also immediate?
Old Apr 17, 19, 2:09 pm

Programs: Fairmont Plat, 1865 Voyager, SPG Gold, AE, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by uela View Post
No. BA says up to a week. Took 4 or 5 days for one I made about a year ago and I was sweating that availability would disappear while I waited for them, but it did not.
Old Apr 17, 19, 2:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by uela View Post
It depends on the partner (and sometimes YMMV), but FWIW I just did some to EK last month and it was there as soon as I'd hit "Refresh". There's a relevant thread in the AmEx forum about transfer times, too.
Old Apr 17, 19, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AA Gold
On a couple of occasions I've transferred Amex rewards while on the phone with an agent to complete a booking. It was basically instant.
Old Apr 17, 19, 4:48 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UW*, UL*S
I was transferring while on the phone yesterday but it took 5 mins (I usually get instant so that's why I did it)...pretty awkward pauses!
Old Apr 17, 19, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post

great advice all, thank you!

I believe the flights are available to me, but I also forgot Avianca as a partner of choice, so that may be useful as well.