Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Quickest/Easiest way to gain access to MLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quickest/Easiest way to gain access to MLL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
You can buy a pass from aeroplan for 5000 points (10K for 2). It's not a great use of points but it is an option. Note that they do mail out physical passes so you need to allow some time. There are lots of credit cards that give priority pass access -they won't get you into the MLL but will get you into the plaza premium lounges in YYZ which most people like better anyhow.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind
I am travelling out of the YYZ. We have already booked it through an earlier special offered by Air Canada last month. I don't really want to upgrade my tickets at this point. Just finding out options on how to gain access, since its nice to hear from people with insight.

If it's not that special, I guess there's no use in trying to get access.
While the MLL is not champagne and caviar, it is a nice escape from the normal hustle and bustle of the terminal. Are you flying domestic, transborder or international out of YYZ? I have 2 paper passes for domestic or transborder MLL that I'd be happy to donate if you live in the GTA.
RhaspberryWind likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:59 am

I am travelling out of the YYZ. We have already booked it through an earlier special offered by Air Canada last month. I don't really want to upgrade my tickets at this point. Just finding out options on how to gain access, since its nice to hear from people with insight.

We also have a Diner's Credit card, do they check only the name? or if the account is active too? We haven't used it in a while, so not sure if it still works.
Originally Posted by CleverJesse
While the MLL is not champagne and caviar, it is a nice escape from the normal hustle and bustle of the terminal. Are you flying domestic, transborder or international out of YYZ? I have 2 paper passes for domestic or transborder MLL that I'd be happy to donate if you live in the GTA.
CleverJesse beat me to the punch. Numerous people have asked you your destination, etc. as that can affect how you can gain access. For example, if you're able to obtain some guest passes (as CleverJesse has offered), then you can get in for free, however those passes only work if you're leaving from the domestic or transborder concourses - if you're departing for an international destination you won't have access to the international lounge.

If you want to try and use a lounge, especially for your honeymoon then go for it! FT is frequented by many people who fly so much that going to a lounge has lost its appeal a long time ago. I remember when i first used a lounge years ago - I was with my wife (then girlfriend) on a trip to the EU via yyz. I was a P25 and only had a few lounge passes for myself. She was super impressed, and that was just the lowly YEG (Edmonton) lounge. The only caveat is about time. If you're planning on getting to the airport early and will have enough time to use the lounge, then you may as well go. If you think you'll be cutting it short and won't have much time in the lounge, then don't bother.

I also remember a time when I took a co-worker to a lounge. He was so impressed that when he went home he went online and bought himself an annual MLL pass.

On another note, I'm not familiar with the Diner's Club card. AFAIK that does not grant you access.
jasdou likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jasdou
That mirrors my experience. I have guested several FOTSG colleagues, friends and family members in the past few years at the YQB VIP lounge, YUL/YYZ Domestic, YUL/YYZ TB and YUL International lounges, not to mention quite a few unimpressive PP lounges and overall they were all pretty thrilled and impressed that I could get them in by flashing a card or a BP. The buffet and free booze can also appear quite attractive given the generally inflated prices one can find airside. The aura of exclusivity and perceived unaccessibility for the average flyer is the key.

I wish we as a group would stop being so negative to first-time J flyers or lounge access seekers.
But you got them in for free.

If it were $50/person, would you still have chosen the MLL over any other airside bar/restaurant?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But you got them in for free.

If it were $50/person, would you still have chosen the MLL over any other airside bar/restaurant?
That is a very valid point. I guess the answer depends on the length of the layover, how many drinks we plan on having, etc.

But if this is for a special occasion, such as a honeymoon, why not? This can definitely be a somewhat unique experience for infrequent travellers and the value of that is hard to pin down.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I think if you can get in for free, they're great but not worth $50 unless you have a long layover. I've been to the YYZ lounges a few times and thought the atmosphere was ok although there was no real food outside of meal time. But I was at the YUL domestic MLL a few weeks ago for the first time and it was downright depressing (worn out furniture, etc.). I'm usually there on a connection between flights, but I certainly wouldn't go to the airport early just to spend time at a MLL.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:25 am
F 1

I say go for it. Even if it's $50 pp. You're on your honeymoon! I still remember my first time accessing a lounge. Without knowing what it's like, and regardless of the quality of food and drink, having access makes you feel just a bit more special.

From that point onward, the law of diminishing returns kicks in, and after visits 2, 3, 4, the lounge becomes less special each time. But since it's your first time, who cares, just do it and enjoy it. Only then you'll know if it's worth it for you the next time you travel
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jasdou
That is a very valid point. I guess the answer depends on the length of the layover, how many drinks we plan on having, etc.

But if this is for a special occasion, such as a honeymoon, why not? This can definitely be a somewhat unique experience for infrequent travellers and the value of that is hard to pin down.
I arranged a unique experience for a honeymooning couple at a lounge once. That was a unique experience.

But it was also way better than an MLL.

Paying for access to the MLL is not something I would ever recommend over just going to a bar and having some champagne if the goal is to celebrate a special occasion.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CleverJesse
This is what I've been trying to get to! I knew that one of us would happily donate our passes if it is DOM or TB.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

We also have a Diner's Credit card, do they check only the name? or if the account is active too? We haven't used it in a while, so not sure if it still works.
@RhaspberryWind

From YYZ where are you flying to? Yes, it matters because it can change the "strategy", as per others above.
I wouldn't give up on going in - it's not as difficult as one may think... and yes, we're all jaded here but I'm sure you and your partner will enjoy the MLL.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm sure you and your partner will enjoy the MLL.
As long as OP doesn’t have vast experience of lounges outside NA
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
"Not that special" is actually a good way to describe it. Pros: usually a bit quieter than the terminal, chairs are more comfortable, bathrooms are nicer, food and booze are free. Cons: the furniture is tired and worn out, at many times it's packed and not much of a respite relative to the terminal, the food is industrial-grade and the booze is all mass-market and fairly cheap (e.g. Canadian, Coors, Guinness for beer, JW Black and Singleton for Scotch, etc). Bottom line: nothing special.

If a YYZ-based FTer gifts you passes, knock yourself out, for $0 it's absolutely worthwhile. But my infrequent traveller friends who occasionally get gifted my passes tell me they generally wouldn't spend more than $10-20 to get in to the lounge if they had to pay out of pocket (not including super-long layovers).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: ACMM, AC E50K, HH Gold, National EE
I'm going to assume you are flying ex-YYZ trans-border or domestic...

Whether through getting 'gifted' a couple of passes or paying for them, do it! If you've never been to the Maple Leaf Lounge before and you're embarking on your honeymoon, you will appreciate the experience. Get there plenty early, thus alleviating security/customs worry, and plan on being in the lounge 90-120 minutes. Those of us that travel often do get somewhat blase about the lounge, but I'd rather be there than not.

When my wife (who does not travel often) and I travel together on vacation, she says, "The vacation starts the moment I sit down in the lounge".

Enjoy and congrats on the nuptials!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Stiff
Whether through getting 'gifted' a couple of passes or paying for them, do it! If you've never been to the Maple Leaf Lounge before and you're embarking on your honeymoon, you will appreciate the experience. Get there plenty early, thus alleviating security/customs worry, and plan on being in the lounge 90-120 minutes. Those of us that travel often do get somewhat blase about the lounge, but I'd rather be there than not.

When my wife (who does not travel often) and I travel together on vacation, she says, "The vacation starts the moment I sit down in the lounge".

Enjoy and congrats on the nuptials!
Well said, and congratulations on the big adventures @RhaspberryWind!

I had a similar intention a number of years back on my own honeymoon, opting for the CIBC AE Privilege card with 4 MLL accesses on AE, 6 PPL accesses for many others, decent priority/CC benefits, and 50 or 60K points to sweeten the deal. Over a number of years I maybe have used 10 entries combined, I think 4 from the honeymoon itself, so it served its purpose - including a decent contribution to our point tickets. I had intended to get rid of it, especially concerning AC/AE uncertainty (still), but they so far have made generous offers to continue. I imagine this will be the year I ditch it, considering limitations on benefits, and the overall deterioration of the AC/AE offer. Take note, VISA + AC + forthcoming Altitude 2.0.

I actually picked up a BMO World Elite MasterCard (non AirMiles version) a few years ago for the purpose of replacing the above VISA. At the time FYF (after $140/yr), 30-40K points, and 4 annual PPL passes, which has now become LoungeKey MasterCard Airport Experiences (essentially the same). Now I have more passes I rarely use and can’t transfer. I used to post offers in the “I’m in the Lounge” thread, which would be a good place to post your asks.

And of course if you fly enough, you’ll get free entries with status - which then becomes the easiest/cheapest. . Further to that if you find yourself with a long wait, it can become a convenient place to crank out some work - or adventures for your destination! I had been “in” a number of times prior to CC or status, and while I suspect they have deteriorated, it may just be the novelty wearing off. WestJet is stepping up in force, so we’ll see if that shakes things up.

Also, I haven’t needed it for some time, but a J award ticket will also come with lounge access... and in all likelihood improve on the lounge experience, en route. This should also get you in to most partner *G biz lounges along the way (check particular airline details).

@Stiff brings up a great point. Although lounges become common and easy to knock for road warriors, if you do it intentionally and infrequently, it could well be enjoyable. We enjoyed it for our honeymoon, and come to think of it, my wife still finds it a bit of a reset and regroup too.

RhaspberryWind likes this.

Last edited by eracerblue; Apr 18, 2019 at 10:12 pm
Old Apr 18, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
Shouldn't we assume if that were an option it would be done?

There's a reason for the Y to J ratio on aircraft; most don't have the means to sit up front. I imagine this to be especially true of a newlywed couple.
The OP said nothing about cost and flying in J gets you the lounge. They wanted quickest and easiest and that's both. Quicker than first having to fly 100,000 miles to gain some elite level, for instance. Very slow, not easy at all.

So does paying for Priority Pass or Lounge or whatever the paid lounge is called which frankly is about the same in terms of experience, and I suspect would cost less particularly since they seem to have bought tickets already. However, I think assuming newlyweds are broke is without foundation. I could get married tomorrow and I'm anything but broke.

I found the most interesting and amazing thing about the OP's post was that Diners Club still exists.

I only fly J and rarely on AC but can't you just pay to get in? Add-on to the reservation sort of thing? That would be quick and easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.