Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Melange of Mainline and Rouge- Could this be the future?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Melange of Mainline and Rouge- Could this be the future?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stranger
Not sure I understood your last sentence. I used to buy latitude passes to Europe, but no longer. For two reasons: first, as you say, because P fares are often more attractive. Plus, the restriction whereby the pass limits you to cities served directly by AC, and having been burned once by a cancelled upgrade after equipment change, and AC's inflexibility in that they would not hear on rebooking me on conditions different from those on the pass (i.e. no other airline). Which I would argue was in violation of the tariffs. But eh, life is too short to fight silly stuff.
Inter Europe offers some remarkable J cabin fares. Booked a one way from LHR/RAK for 200Euros on BA. IMO, a good deal , even for European J style.
I say that as I agree that many FPs do not get me to where I want to go. The FP does allow me flexibility, I get to go to sleep and sleep well on TATL or TPAC flights.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:14 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yulred

Its a good thing, then, that AC has been at the forefront of training pax to travel with hand baggage only.
Where do you get your info from? AC was actually late into the game for charging for baggage. Charging for baggage started with US airlines first.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:18 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by acysb87
As someone who tends to buy latitude flight passes, I find that many times there are discounted business fares that are lower than latitude fares.
Lower fares may not give you a better seat or cabin.
Yes, this is true, but most people flying on Lat passes usually fly at last min, were J prices are usually a lot higher.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acysb87
Inter Europe offers some remarkable J cabin fares. Booked a one way from LHR/RAK for 200Euros on BA. IMO, a good deal , even for European J style.
I say that as I agree that many FPs do not get me to where I want to go.
I don't find myself so lucky usually. That may be because often my wife travels with me on an Aeroplan reward, and I seldom find good business class fares on LH and their partners. Also, in that scenario, I have been caught by missing a connection with separate tickets. But really it was the last minute cancellation of a confirmed upgrade and AC's inflexibility and insisting on flying AC only that turned me away from passes.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by 5mm

Where do you get your info from? AC was actually late into the game for charging for baggage. Charging for baggage started with US airlines first.
Where did I say AC was the first to do it? The next line, the one you chose not to quote, literally says "in accordance with NA industry standards".

Regardless of who started it, it's a reality now that travellers have adapted. We've entered the vicious cycle of airlines telling pax they're too "cheap" to warrant anything other than crap products (while congratulating themselves on record profits on the side), and pax responding by refusing to pay a dime more than they have to for what they now expect is going to be a crap product anyway.

Passengers are not stupid enough to not notice that higher profitability isn't translating into better products. There's a lot of distrust that reduces their willingness to pay even $5 more. Makes sense, then, to pay what you have to and not a cent more.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Stranger
That may be true. OTOH, it looks like buying Basic but having bags to check often ends up more expensive than fares that include free luggage. It's all about blind reliance on search engines that look for the "lowest" fare. Even when ultimately they are not.
Google Flights is getting better. You can specify whether you have a carry-on and checked bag, and it will filter out the basic fares. If only I could tell it my status so it would realize that UA Y is $30 cheaper than the advertised price...
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Regardless, air travel has, through service cuts and nickel and diming, become the equivalent of greyhound. You can blame that on pax, but we've reached a stage where people who think nothing of buying BMWs or dropping $1K on an iPhone won't pay a $5 premium to fly AC over WS. Some of that blame has to go to the airlines for destroying any sense of value proposition. At this point, all pax can do is cut their losses.
But BMW and Apple have made the market believe (rightly or wrongly) that their products are premium products worth premium prices, thus they can get away with charging more. AC makes no effort to position themselves as better in any way than WS when flying in Y. I fail to see any reason to choose AC over WS when flying in Y, so I'll choose whichever has the best price for an acceptable seat that works with my schedule. FF plans are no incentive for FOTSGs like me. I'd rather take the cheaper fare that gives no/paltry accumulation and pocket the price difference.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:09 am
5mm
Suspended

Where did I say AC was the first to do it?

See Below,
"AC has been at the forefront of training pax to travel with hand baggage only."

The def of forefront is leading. The def of leading is first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.