Wiki Posts
Search

AC 128 May 3rd E-upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: E35K
AC 128 May 3rd E-upgrade

I am conducting some cost-benefit analysis on the E-upgrade potential for two people (E35K and P25K) on AC 128 (May 3rd red-eye), and looking for some input. Using the BCD tool, availability seems pretty open for the flight:
J - 9, C - 9, D - 9, Z - 9, P - 9, R - 8, O - 9, E - 9, N - 9,Y - 9, B - 9, M - 9, U - 9, H - 9, Q - 9, V - 9, W - 9, G - 9, S - 9, T - 7

The ultimate itinerary is to NYC. It would be an extra $90 a person to upgrade to flex from standard (including connecting flight to NYC), and I would consider this if we had a good chance of upgrading (as I believe with the current promotion this allows us to avoid the copay). However I do understand that E-upgrades can be difficult for non-SEs on the YVR-YYZ route. Do you think we have a good chance of receiving an E-upgrade on this flight?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YVRPPL
I am conducting some cost-benefit analysis on the E-upgrade potential for two people (E35K and P25K) on AC 128 (May 3rd red-eye), and looking for some input. Using the BCD tool, availability seems pretty open for the flight:
J - 9, C - 9, D - 9, Z - 9, P - 9, R - 8, O - 9, E - 9, N - 9,Y - 9, B - 9, M - 9, U - 9, H - 9, Q - 9, V - 9, W - 9, G - 9, S - 9, T - 7

The ultimate itinerary is to NYC. It would be an extra $90 a person to upgrade to flex from standard (including connecting flight to NYC), and I would consider this if we had a good chance of upgrading (as I believe with the current promotion this allows us to avoid the copay). However I do understand that E-upgrades can be difficult for non-SEs on the YVR-YYZ route. Do you think we have a good chance of receiving an E-upgrade on this flight?

Thanks!
I agree AC128 appears wide open for now but the eUp window for SE will open on April 19th and R space will start disappearing then. E75K and E50K members will follow a few days after, most likely leaving you with slim pickings, especially since this is an overnight flight, making the pods highly desirable. An upgrade is not impossible but will be very difficult, especially for the P25K member. You may end up in PY, which wouldn't be too bad for a short overnight flight, but maybe disappointing if you paid extra for a higher fare hoping for an upgrade to J.

Since your final destination is NYC, have you considered taking AC548 (YVR-EWR non-stop) instead? This route might be less elite-heavy than YVR-YYZ and it also looks wide open for May 3rd (although no R space for now). It also seems similarly priced to the itinerary you are considering.
WaytoomuchEurope likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasdou
I agree AC128 appears wide open for now but the eUp window for SE will open on April 19th and R space will start disappearing then. E75K and E50K members will follow a few days after, most likely leaving you with slim pickings, especially since this is an overnight flight, making the pods highly desirable. An upgrade is not impossible but will be very difficult, especially for the P25K member. You may end up in PY, which wouldn't be too bad for a short overnight flight, but maybe disappointing if you paid extra for a higher fare hoping for an upgrade to J.
I appreciate you letting me know the realities of the situation, I'm now leaning towards standard and hoping for PE availability. If I use my E-upgrade credits for us both, does that increase our chances of sitting together?

Originally Posted by jasdou
Since your final destination is NYC, have you considered taking AC548 (YVR-EWR non-stop) instead? This route might be less elite-heavy than YVR-YYZ and it also looks wide open for May 3rd (although no R space for now). It also seems similarly priced to the itinerary you are considering.
I am only able to take off two days of work for that week, so we were hoping to maximize our time in the city by doing the red-eye and having all of Saturday instead of arriving in the evening. Also I'm not the biggest fan of EWR and its distance from Manhattan.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC SE
I appreciate you letting me know the realities of the situation, I'm now leaning towards standard and hoping for PE availability. If I use my E-upgrade credits for us both, does that increase our chances of sitting together?

I am only able to take off two days of work for that week, so we were hoping to maximize our time in the city by doing the red-eye and having all of Saturday instead of arriving in the evening. Also I'm not the biggest fan of EWR and its distance from Manhattan.
If you are on the same PNR and you put in the upgrade request from your account, then it's your status that counts for both of you until control is transferred to the airport on the day of the flight. So, if the flight is R2 when your eupgrade window opens (T-8 days), you should definitely try to use your own credits on both of you. Otherwise, if the flight is R0 when your window opens, it won't really matter because then upgrades will likely only be cleared at the gate and it's the passenger's own status that counts at that point.

I understand your schedule constraints. However, I find that taking the Newark Airport Express bus from EWR to Port Authority or Grand Central is usually very quick and efficient. Anyway, I agree there are lots of options and you should choose whatever suits you best!
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I used to take the YVR-YYZ red-eye on Fridays a lot prior to 754 being upgauged.

I never missed an upgrade, at any level from E35K to S100K, nor did I ever have any issue clearing standby (which, at the time, was processed after all eUps).

So while no one can guarantee anything, my experience and the current loads would make me a lot more optimistic than others.

Worst case scenario, the $90 still gets you free seat selection and more AQM. Best case scenario, it gets you in a pod.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I used to take the YVR-YYZ red-eye on Fridays a lot prior to 754 being upgauged.

I never missed an upgrade, at any level from E35K to S100K, nor did I ever have any issue clearing standby (which, at the time, was processed after all eUps).

So while no one can guarantee anything, my experience and the current loads would make me a lot more optimistic than others.

Worst case scenario, the $90 still gets you free seat selection and more AQM. Best case scenario, it gets you in a pod.
Same. I never missed an eup on the red eye. Even when it was downguaged to 28J from 40J. I walked around and like the morning TCON flights - always could see empty J seats.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: TK *G
Friday may be difficult, but I did found a few empty J seats on other days, when it was AC156/162 back then.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:35 pm

I agree with this, provided that you don't mind paying an extra $90 per person. I've seen several routes where the cost of the co-pay to upgrade from Standard to Business is less than the cost to upfare to Flex, however this isn't one of those cases (it appears that the co-pay is $250-$350), so the $90 is reasonable in comparison (although the co-pay is only charged if your upgrade actually clears, the $90 is a gamble).

If you value miles at $0.01, you'll end up with about $16 worth of additional miles and you'll be able to get free seat selection (discount on preferred seats if you'd like, which AFAIK should be refundable if your upgrade clears), so you'll get some value out of the Flex fare even if your upgrade doesn't clear.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

I just realized I am 1 E-upgrade credit short of being able to upgrade both of us to Business, so we would have to individually attempt to E-upgrade. Has anyone had success as a P25K on this red-eye route?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just realized I am 1 E-upgrade credit short of being able to upgrade both of us to Business, so we would have to individually attempt to E-upgrade. Has anyone had success as a P25K on this red-eye route?
I have never been P25K, but I have regularly seen every eUp on the list clear.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:10 am

And keep a very close eye on R-space after check-in
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I have never been P25K, but I have regularly seen every eUp on the list clear.
While an SEMM, I failed out of J on a YVRYYZ redeye once. I suspect it had something to do with YBYL as I was on top of the list, though.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick update - we were both able to E-upgrade to J in both legs, thanks for your help everyone!

I had to phone AC to split our PNR so we could both use our individual E-upgrade credits (as suggested on this forum). One strange outcome of this is that it allowed me to reserve seats on the website in Y for free on the return flight (even though its a standard fare). With her new PNR, she is unable to even purchase a seat on the return flight as the website says to contact AC. I guess I will have to contact AC again to make sure we can sit together on the return flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.