Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rouge 763 on YYZ-YYC in June

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:08 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
@Stranger was this a redeye too? I got moved from a 17:45 departure on a 320 (used to be a 7M8) to a 23:50 rouge 763 departure. Yeah, .... that, no way I'm taking that flight. Inconvenient to switch to 16:10, but better than a redeye on that awful rouge 763.

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I know it's related to the Max situation, but point being, we have rouge on domestic and transborder routes regardless, and we had them before the Max grounding. YYT82 is probably right, this will just accelerate the eventual rouging of ALL routes.
No, it won't.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Dear @Adam Smith,

Proof that YYZYYC is a leisure route. ������
Both and
Old Apr 14, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
@Stranger was this a redeye too? I got moved from a 17:45 departure on a 320 (used to be a 7M8) to a 23:50 rouge 763 departure. Yeah, .... that, no way I'm taking that flight. Inconvenient to switch to 16:10, but better than a redeye on that awful rouge 763.
Not a redyeye, no (or not much) change in time. Gets in Calgary a bit past 8 pm.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Stranger
Not a redyeye, no (or not much) change in time. Gets in Calgary a bit past 8 pm.
Oops, I had it backwards. I'm on YYC-YYZ. May be the return flight of the one you were put on. Not that I'll be on it much longer...
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Stranger
It does. And yes, I did check before I posted. Plus, I would be happy coming back a day earlier...
Visiting the in-laws?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smallmj
Visiting the in-laws?
Nothing of the kind. Was just that the fare difference was way more than the cost of an extra weekend day. An extra day in Rome is always nice anyway, and I always appreciate the opportunity to have dinner at Cuoco & Camicia, my favorite Rome restaurant, if I stay near the Termini station.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYT82
You got downgraded from a pod to a non-pod. Is this a part of an international itinerary or a purely domestic one?
Actually upon checking, you were right. I changed the first leg to the previous day, and the YYZ-YYZ to a morning flight on a mainline 763, the flight to NRT actually. Now why isn't the AC stopover option being offered???
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
that's such a short hop...How could rouge be that poor?..Please explain....even in Premium?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Srklaw7
that's such a short hop...How could rouge be that poor?..Please explain....even in Premium?
YYZ-YYC.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
My friend @marke190 is concerned that YYT-YYZ may get rouged at some point. While I agree that it seems more and more domestic routes are being rouged, I cannot see AC rouging this one. Considering they just built a brand new MLL, it would be nonsensical to only fly Rouge and Express to YYT.

I am completely puzzled by Rouge all the same. It was created as a "leisure" airline (for vacation destinations), but it seems to be serving an excessive number of domestic routes! It almost seems like AC wants to rouge every single flight in the country! Might as well just get rid of mainline altogether (if Calin had his way...LOL).
marke190 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by codfather
My friend @marke190 is concerned that YYT-YYZ may get rouged at some point. While I agree that it seems more and more domestic routes are being rouged, I cannot see AC rouging this one. Considering they just built a brand new MLL, it would be nonsensical to only fly Rouge and Express to YYT.

I am completely puzzled by Rouge all the same. It was created as a "leisure" airline (for vacation destinations), but it seems to be serving an excessive number of domestic routes! It almost seems like AC wants to rouge every single flight in the country! Might as well just get rid of mainline altogether (if Calin had his way...LOL).
My guess is that the plan has not changed, but by reasons of expediency, exceptions end up happening. In the case of the current thread, surely not permanently, but as part of the recovery plan after the Max disaster. AC being of of the or perhaps just the airline most seriously affected.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Srklaw7
4 hours isn't that short.

The seats on the 763 are very uncomfortable, even in Premium. The bins are also laughably small, and I've seen people have to have their carry-ons stashed way in the back, and having to wait until most of Y has deplaned to get them.

In short, there's nothing premium about the experience of flying this plane on rouge.
​​​​​​

The routes that have been truly rouged have been routes that are mostly leisure traffic. Whether YYT is in the rouge plans long term is hard to say, but one shouldn't read too much in to anything the next couple of months. As long as the MAXes are grounded, AC will be scrambling to replace them.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Even if the 737 MAX are allowed to fly again, their configuration in Y isn't much different from Rouge. The B777s and B788/789 in Y are essentially Rouge.

The YYT-LHR route served the oil industry well when many were commuting between St. John's and Norway. My neighbour across the street still works in Norway. Many Equinor/Kvaerner/Maersk employees commute via this route. I don't see YYZ-YYT being Rouged any time soon, since this is another important route serving not just the offshore oil industry and associated businesses, but also the GoC, Oil Sands, and various mining businesses. During the good times, you'd need to buy tickets at least three weeks out in order to get a decent fare, as these flights were often full. They are still relatively full on shift change days.

But if YYZ-YYC can be Rouged, then never say never.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS

As others have said, these recent rougings are most certainly a compensatory response to the MAX groundings. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if the AC higher-ups are running their own analyses in this quasi-experiment of putting rouge on trunk routes.

What if post-MAX grounding, AC ran a mix of mainline and rouge on certain routes with leisure-heavy departure times on the latter. What we're seeing now with these sprinklings of rouge may actually be foreshadowing the future.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YYT82
Even if the 737 MAX are allowed to fly again, their configuration in Y isn't much different from Rouge. The B777s and B788/789 in Y are essentially Rouge.

The YYT-LHR route served the oil industry well when many were commuting between St. John's and Norway. My neighbour across the street still works in Norway. Many Equinor/Kvaerner/Maersk employees commute via this route. I don't see YYZ-YYT being Rouged any time soon, since this is another important route serving not just the offshore oil industry and associated businesses, but also the GoC, Oil Sands, and various mining businesses. During the good times, you'd need to buy tickets at least three weeks out in order to get a decent fare, as these flights were often full. They are still relatively full on shift change days.

But if YYZ-YYC can be Rouged, then never say never.
I would say the chances of YYT-YYZ being rouged are almost zero. Air Canada seems to do very well on this routing, as most flights are essentially full or oversold almost daily (as per ExpertFlyer information, and personal experience flying this route).

I hope YYT-LHR will continue to be an option in the future! That link to Europe is key for both business and leisure travellers.

Anyways...I am deviating slightly from the original topic, so that will be the end of my slight tangent!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
Calgary YYC- Toronto YYZ summer flights served by Air Canada Rouge?!?!?

YYC-YYZ summer flights served by Air Canada Rouge?!?!?

They didnt even bother reducing the price from mainline!!!! In both economy or business!!!

The beginning of the end... indeed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.