Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Refused transport because of 8.5lb dog... why?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refused transport because of 8.5lb dog... why?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
It was YQB after all. The gate agents there ALWAYS follow policy. Except when they can deny Super Elites same day standby on qualifying tickets so that nonrevenue buddy pass/employee ticketholders are not inconvenienced.
wasnt there a scandal in the USA where GAs were pulling stunts like this on the regular? i cant remember the airline or airport but they were denying people boarding and putting their friends/buddy pass/coworkers/local politicians or something in the seats? nothing would surprise me but i am sure AC can take a good look at who (if anyone) made it onboard that took the seats
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
You seem to be have been treated poorly by AC and deserve to be made whole. Don't compound your troubles by getting taken advantage of by media and other grifters and wierdos. That is not to say you shouldn't get media involved. Probably a good idea. But for heaven's sake stick to the barest minimum of facts. They will want to draw every manner of emotion out of you to make a better story to help themselves and not you.

The interesting parts of the story are: the carrier, the dog, AC's policy, and the minimal fact the dog had travelled before a few times on AC.

The age and health status of your relatives, how they felt about you having to drive, the circumstances of your house keys, and the underlying reason for your travels are of course deeply personally important to you, and best of luck with mom's health, but they are not in any way relevant to what happened, and I'd resist attempts by the media to get you to focus on those details.
moondog, Plumber, Dolphin2 and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by yul36
Codfather, you cannot speak for all members on the forum, I for one do not agree with you. Who cares how AC feels, they were wrong, and from a PR perspective stupid. Getting into a tussle with pet owners is not smart. They vote with their wallets. Gabor has come through for a lot of people. He knows the system and plays it, if he self promotes, well he is not the only "expert" who does.
For me, the issue at play with Lukacs is his very condescending behaviour during calls with the airlines. I am not denying the fact that the man has an unbelievable amount of knowledge on this subject. He was pretty good when he started this "Air Passenger Rights" page, but he has since become the laughingstock of the industry.

While I know not all FTers hold this opinion about him, the vast majority actually do. Look around the forums where he is mentioned (especially the more recent ones), and you will see what I am talking about.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

A reminder that this thread topic isn't Gabor Lukacs so let's move on.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
I think a public media shaming is likely to have a much more long-lasting and positive effect on AC's behaviour than some small claims suit.
We don't know who's right and who's wrong. What we got was what OP has said.

Seriously - when OP has an idea of suing AC, refraining from public media may not be such a bad idea after all.
Blondie85 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Are the YQB AC staff actually "AC" hired staff or are they contractors from Swissport.

My understanding is that AC doesnt have any staff at YQB and they are all Swissport staff repping other airlines like United as well.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:48 pm

Agents are Jazz employees, ramp are AC mainline staff..
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Just saw this story on our local news with our very own Blondie85. I won’t post a link as it uses her full name and I don’t want to out her here unless she chooses to do so herself but she comes off very well; calm and level-headed with her facts in order. It shows Whisky going in and out of the Sherpa and while it does look to be a bit of a tight squeeze, he is a furry pooch and his fur likely makes it seem tighter than it probably is. Hopefully, this will put some pressure on AC to reimburse her costs.
Dolphin2 and altabello like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Finkface
Just saw this story on our local news with our very own Blondie85. I won’t post a link as it uses her full name and I don’t want to out her here unless she chooses to do so herself but she comes off very well; calm and level-headed with her facts in order. It shows Whisky going in and out of the Sherpa and while it does look to be a bit of a tight squeeze, he is a furry pooch and his fur likely makes it seem tighter than it probably is. Hopefully, this will put some pressure on AC to reimburse her costs.
Just saw it as well. Hope it works out for the OP.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
It shows Whisky going in and out of the Sherpa and while it does look to be a bit of a tight squeeze, he is a furry pooch and his fur likely makes it seem tighter than it probably is.
If the dog's usual vet says it's fine for the dog, I'd take that over the opinion of an AC gate agent anyday.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Just saw the clip. Well presented. Nice doggie too.
Twickenham and Blondie85 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
First - While OT, when Blondie85 chooses to allow her case to present by the media, as a privacy perspective, Blondie85 has effectively waived her rights. It is similar to DrunkCargo who filed a lawsuit and settled with Air Canada.

Second - even Gabor Lukacs said Blondie85 should sue. Why bother talking to AC?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by garykung
First - While OT, when Blondie85 chooses to allow her case to present by the media, as a privacy perspective, Blondie85 has effectively waived her rights. It is similar to DrunkCargo who filed a lawsuit and settled with Air Canada...
Whatever she may or may not have waived, it isn’t up to me, or anyone else on FT IMO, to out her here. If she, or anyone else, chooses to post a link to the news story, that is up to them. But it won’t be me who does it. Not speaking from a perspective of what is legal or not, but from what I believe should be her right to choose whether she is publicly identified here on FT or not.
MSPeconomist, wrp96 and Blondie85 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
It isn't hard to find the video if you really care
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It isn't hard to find the video if you really care
Exactly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.