Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

eCoupon not Applied - Full Fare Charged to Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Can someone provide some advice on this situation for me? I booked a ticket on the website yesterday night. Upon payment, I applied an eCoupon and was asking to pay with a credit card for the balance. The ticket was issued and everything sounds fine until this morning my bank called asking that if I make a purchase from AC in the amount of (full fare to the ticket). I checked online and realized the full amount of ticket fare is charged to my credit card and the eCoupon was not deducted. I called the reservation desk and was advised that I can get a refund to the ticket and obtain a new ticket online. However, there are two issues with this, I shall loose a 15% discount as the code cannot be reused and the same ticket now costs 150% the amount I paid. Does anyone had this situation before? It does not seem to me that I should bear the wrong outcome due to whatever issue with the website. What could I do at this point? (The eCoupon is expiring at the end of May, I cannot have another vacation time off by getting another ticket.) I feel so frustrated right now.

Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:24 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
That sucks!
Well, you can always write in and see what they say. Under the circumstances, you can ask to exchange the valid and unused e-coupon for another one. I do not think you will get anywhere.

Don't waste the coupon, use it to book a cheap trip over a weekend, give to a friend or offer it to someone.

I just used my 15% discount code, as well as an AIr Canada e-coupon for $150 for a cheap weekend, get away to Cancun before they expire.

You may have to accept what happened as a lesson learned.

Always look at the cost before hitting the enter key. You put in the 500 digits and then the four-digit PIN and update. You will see the dollar amount applied with the balance needing payment.

Only after you know the code has been applied and of course, you do the math in your head, do you pay the difference.

Good luck
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by HerpaYvr
That sucks!
Well, you can always write in and see what they say. Under the circumstances, you can ask to exchange the valid and unused e-coupon for another one. I do not think you will get anywhere.

Don't waste the coupon, use it to book a cheap trip over a weekend, give to a friend or offer it to someone.

I just used my 15% discount code, as well as an AIr Canada e-coupon for $150 for a cheap weekend, get away to Cancun before they expire.

You may have to accept what happened as a lesson learned.

Always look at the cost before hitting the enter key. You put in the 500 digits and then the four-digit PIN and update. You will see the dollar amount applied with the balance needing payment.

Only after you know the code has been applied and of course, you do the math in your head, do you pay the difference.

Good luck
I'll also add to this good advice, take screen shots along the way, so you have some evidence if something goes sideways.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Alas the most likely reason for this would be that the user somehow returned to the front page and failed to notice that he had to reenter the discount code so that in the end he bought the ticket without the discount. Nearly happened to me on a few occasions. So yes, the proper resolution would be to cancel and then rebook. That the price went up in the meantime is just unfortunate. OTOH if the trip is not very soon, prices typically fluctuate up and down. So, tomorrow or the day after, might be down again.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:50 am
F 1

Originally Posted by LMYRMQ622003250
Can someone provide some advice on this situation for me? I booked a ticket on the website yesterday night. Upon payment, I applied an eCoupon and was asking to pay with a credit card for the balance. The ticket was issued and everything sounds fine until this morning my bank called asking that if I make a purchase from AC in the amount of (full fare to the ticket). I checked online and realized the full amount of ticket fare is charged to my credit card and the eCoupon was not deducted. I called the reservation desk and was advised that I can get a refund to the ticket and obtain a new ticket online. However, there are two issues with this, I shall loose a 15% discount as the code cannot be reused and the same ticket now costs 150% the amount I paid. Does anyone had this situation before? It does not seem to me that I should bear the wrong outcome due to whatever issue with the website. What could I do at this point? (The eCoupon is expiring at the end of May, I cannot have another vacation time off by getting another ticket.) I feel so frustrated right now.

Thanks.
Did the grand total on the payment confirmation screen include the discount when you confirmed the purchase? How about your email confirmation? If not, then I think you might be out of luck. It's unfortunate you didn't notice right away and could have cancelled the ticket instantly.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:28 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LMYRMQ622003250

Thanks.
Were all the flights booked on AC metal? If not, discount code will not work.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm

I was wondering the same thing.

IMHO this boils down to whether or not what was charged matches the charge shown on the payment screen. If the 2 match, then there is no issue.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If the amount shown was $1000 and the eCoupon was $300, it would show three numbers:

$1000
$300
$700

The latter should have been charged.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If the amount shown was $1000 and the eCoupon was $300, it would show three numbers:

$1000
$300
$700

The latter should have been charged.
This appears to be a % discount code, and IIRC aren't the prices all the way through just shown reflecting any applicable discount with those?
5mm likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 5mm

Actually it is a bit more complicated than that. Discount codes do work with some code shares at the very least.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

It is a YYZ - TPE ticket all on Air Canada flights. The discount was included in the fare, it did say 15% discount applied. The problem here is, I applied CAD 1300 of eCoupon credit to that ticket, then, it says I have to enter a credit card or other forms of payment for the balance of CAD 303.31. I followed through and the ticket was issued. However, it was not until this morning when my bank called me, to find out that the full CAD 1603.31 was charged to my credit card instead of the balance CAD 303.31 to my credit card and CAD 1300 from the eCoupon. This afternoon, a lady at Air Canada told me that if applied a discount code, the whole ticket cannot use two forms of payment, which is why the whole ticket price being charged on my credit card. I read through all terms of both the promotion code as well as the eCoupon, this was not mentioned anywhere.

Now, if trying to rebook the ticket, not only the fare went up by more than 50%, I also loose the discount code as well. If I knew I have to pay the full amount, I would have take EVA Air instead, lower fare and better timing with no connections.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AC-E50K, IHG-P, Bonvoy-G
Why would the bank call for a small amount like this?
5mm likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
From what you're saying you were truly overcharged, you authorized the payment of $300 and instead $1600 was charged. Therefore, if you're not still within the 24 hour cancellation period you would be within your rights to charge back the transaction.

Since you say EVA has a cheaper and better itinerary, my personal suggestion would be to refund your AC ticket, book the EVA flight and request AC to reissue the eCoupon (which wasn't used anyway) with a longer expiration date.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prestige
Why would the bank call for a small amount like this?
My bank always called if I use my card abroad. Yes, Canada is abroad for them.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:47 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
[QUOTE=LMYRMQ622003250;30997656]This afternoon, a lady at Air Canada told me that if applied a discount code, the whole ticket cannot use two forms of payment, which is why the whole ticket price being charged on my credit card. I read through all terms of both the promotion code as well as the eCoupon, this was not mentioned anywhere.[QUOTE]

Huhh?

On the main page, after you choose your flights and dates you enter the discount/promotional code which is usually a percentage and on the second last page where they want payment you put the $ code with Pin. There is room for two so you can use an Air Canada payment card if you wish or another Air Canada $ code, so stackable. Then you pay the difference with paypal or a credit card etc.

Before you commit, you review what you have done to ensure the info is correct, dates, names, flights, discounts and then and only if you are sure all is correct, you commit! Now you have gone to the point of no return, time to commit financially.

That is a big $ code so you do not want to lose that, it would be a crime to not use it.

As a banker, I too am scratching my head why the bank calls you for these purchases???? Out of Country transactions, potential fraud system sounds like its a pain, however its also a security feature enabling you to suspend or cancel committed or potentially unauthorized transactions.

Anyways you have received a lot of feedback from some of the worlds most knowledgeable frequent flyers (I am not included), you have been empowered with knowledge, now move forward with this wisdom and make the right decision.

Again, best of luck

Last edited by HerpaYvr; Apr 14, 2019 at 9:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.