Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada to bid for Jet Airways?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Only thing I see that is remotely interesting is a bunch (65) of recent non MAX 737s
Where are you getting 65 from ? I thought 9W is already down to 20 air frames with the rest seized. Only way to get them would be to assume the debt.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:24 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by vernonc
Where are you getting 65 from ? I thought 9W is already down to 20 air frames with the rest seized. Only way to get them would be to assume the debt.
I spent about 5 seconds on this so it is very probably out of date. Agreed that if they are seized then have to pay to play. So nothing interesting then.

https://www.jetairways.com/en/ca/jet...formation.aspx
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
If AC is bidding on this goat rodeo just for assets the timeframe for recertifications of the Max must be pretty bad and significantly worse than their current public timeframe of July 1.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Too bad. One of the best flights ever experienced was 9W from BRU to YYZ in Y back in the day.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

I just got the confirmation email that Jet Airways has cancelled my AMS-YYZ flight. Damn.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:55 pm

It appears that Etihad already owns 24-25% of Jet, so I assume that 24-25% would be the most that AC could acquire in order to maintain less that 50% foreign ownership, which makes even less sense to me. Wonder how this'll play out...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Shame really. I had a great flight about 2 years ago AMS to Mumbai (is it still BOM??) seated in 1A. Very attentive crew and excellent food.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Not going to happen. About as likely as Air Canada investing in JS.
Until Naresh Goyal is removed from having any involvement, IMO, prudent investors are staying away.
Air Canada does not need the burden and bureaucratic nightmare of an Indian investment. Considering the recent financial costs to AC associated with the latest geo-political excitement in the region, it would defy common sense to even consider such an action.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:41 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by pilotboy1985YYC
I just got the confirmation email that Jet Airways has cancelled my AMS-YYZ flight. Damn.
All international flights are cancelled for 9W. They’ll be done shortly.

This has to be about assets for AC.

Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

All international flights are cancelled for 9W. They’ll be done shortly.

This has to be about assets for AC.

Yes. They had another plane seized in AMS yesterday. So they are now down to 14 planes and have cancelled all International flights as Indian aviation rules requires an airline to have at least 20 planes to be allowed to fly international routes.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Only thing I see that is remotely interesting is a bunch (65) of recent non MAX 737s
AC would love some more junk very used 330s
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by mellon
The jet a330-300s are only 7 years old. Really not that bad is it?
Admiral Ackbar, jsfrSE and jasdou like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by mellon
What choice to they have. The Boeing 737-Max are grounded.

The Boeing 787 have had a lot of problems and for the time being apear to performing well. However we are talking about the same organisation that created the 737.

I would be happier being a passenger on the 330s just now.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:51 pm

Apparently AC did not bid.

https://www.financialexpress.com/industry/final-countdown-eight-suitors-line-up-for-jet-airways-check-who-all-are-bidding/1546865/
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:41 am

IMHO - The days of airline executives showing off their cahonnes with the number of aluminum birds, slots or destinations is over and one that AC never really got involved with (except for it's forced marriage with CP and a profitable investment in CO in the early 90s.) Even AC, with the incredible growth in the Canadian population and economy and it's connections to the world, still viewed most of their fleet acquisition in the last 15 years as replacements for the 767s/340s/747s that left the fleet. Going further back, this is the airlines that basically did a 1:1 replacement of DC9s to 319s and 727s to 320s, L1011s to 767s etc.

Buy a loyalty program? An engine overhaul business? -- those are ways to make money in the airline industry. Flying planes, or buying Jet Airways -- not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.