Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: 1h 30m enough to exit and check back in at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 1h 30m enough to exit and check back in at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

1h 30m enough to exit and check back in at LAX

Good evening everyone,

I apologize if this isnt the correct forum. I am flying from Melbourne to LAX on QF95 which arrives at 18:15pm. Looking at history of this flight, it always arrives earlier than expected arrival.

My final destination is YYZ and I am looking to book a separate ticket to YYZ from LAX. I looked at Aeroplan and have this business class availability for a UA flight that leaves LAX at 19:45pm to SFO and then to YYZ later on AC.

I was wondering if one and half hour would be enough to exit the passport control and immigration and then check back in ? I wont have any luggage with me at all ?

In case if its doable, is there a way I can safeguard my miles and fees for not able to get on the plane ? Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:19 pm

Citizenship? Nexus card?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tecate55
Citizenship? Nexus card?
Thank you for the response. I am Canadian. I don't have Nexus card.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
You should be able to check in online before you even leave Australia and get a boarding pass. That will make it much easier.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:44 pm

Actually in this case, instead of checking in on-line for the onwards flights, the OP should take both his tickets to the QF check-in counter at the origin, and have them check him in for both, linking the itineraries. At least then he'll have a chance at protection or rebooking if the QF flight goes IRROPS. AC, UA, and QF interline, and AFAIK, QF (like AC and UA, but unlike BA) does not have a policy against linking separate tickets.

A separate on-line check-in provides no linkages or even notation on a file so if you miss the cut-off, you're treated as a pure no-show with consequences accordingly.

MCT might be an issue with 1h30 though.
tecate55 likes this.

Last edited by pitz; Apr 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Without Global Entry and TSA Precheck, I wouldn’t do it.

I’ve arrived at TBIT before and immigration looked like a good 45-60 min wait without GE. Assuming the plane arrives at the gate at 18:15, you have to factor in the time it takes for you to actually get off, walk to immigration, exit, then either walk or wait and take the bus to T7, reclear security and get to your gate (which could be an 80s gate in what used to be T8).

UA will likely start boarding around 19:10-19:15.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Why not fly nonstop to YYZ from LAX on AC? That would allow for more buffer. Flights to East coast are quick, less than 5 hours to YYZ, you will be fine even in coach (assuming no F/J award availability).

Also, no GE/TSA Pre? Risky option IMO.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This will not work. The bag check deadline for UA is T-60, which gives you 30 minutes and that is not enough time.

QF will not check bags across alliances on separate tickets, so that one is out and checking in online does not provide protection.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
If you have checked bags it is not enough time. Factor in 30+ minutes after landing to even see the first bag appear on the belt. likely way more since it is a widebody.

Only THEN can you get in line for customs and border patrol check.

(with no checked bags it would be a breeze as long as you are protected by having the connection booked on a single ticket (exact same ticket#).
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:04 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Celticfrost
Good evening everyone,

I apologize if this isnt the correct forum. I am flying from Melbourne to LAX on QF95 which arrives at 18:15pm. Looking at history of this flight, it always arrives earlier than expected arrival.

My final destination is YYZ and I am looking to book a separate ticket to YYZ from LAX. I looked at Aeroplan and have this business class availability for a UA flight that leaves LAX at 19:45pm to SFO and then to YYZ later on AC.

I was wondering if one and half hour would be enough to exit the passport control and immigration and then check back in ? I wont have any luggage with me at all ?

In case if its doable, is there a way I can safeguard my miles and fees for not able to get on the plane ? Thanks
It takes a good 15 minutes to walk from TBIT to Terminal 7 alone. I wouldn't risk it. Even if you have Nexus/Global Entry, any minor delays would cause you to miss your flight.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pitz
Actually in this case, instead of checking in on-line for the onwards flights, the OP should take both his tickets to the QF check-in counter at the origin, and have them check him in for both, linking the itineraries. At least then he'll have a chance at protection or rebooking if the QF flight goes IRROPS. AC, UA, and QF interline, and AFAIK, QF (like AC and UA, but unlike BA) does not have a policy against linking separate tickets.
This would be pointless. Linking PNRs provides zero IROPS protection and would certainly not obligate QF to rebook OP in the event of a misconnect. In addition, QF will not provide boarding passes for the UA and AC flights given that they’d be on a separate PNR (and not QF plated).
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:18 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
It took me about 1.25h to get from gate to gate at LAX clearing intentional to domestic. It’s quite possibly the worst setup I’ve ever seen, absolute chaos / carnage and repeat security. I would suggest booking a ticket much later and then trying to SDC or standby if you make good time.

Yes that costs a little but SYD LAX is a long flight, bad winds and your delayed 30 mins and you’re paying walk up fare unless you find a friendly agent in LAX. And by friendly I mean also willing to break the rules.

Just my two cents.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
This will not work. The bag check deadline for UA is T-60, which gives you 30 minutes and that is not enough time.

QF will not check bags across alliances on separate tickets, so that one is out and checking in online does not provide protection.
Originally Posted by expert7700
If you have checked bags it is not enough time. Factor in 30+ minutes after landing to even see the first bag appear on the belt. likely way more since it is a widebody.

Only THEN can you get in line for customs and border patrol check.
Originally Posted by jc94
Yes that costs a little but SYD LAX is a long flight, bad winds and your delayed 30 mins and you’re paying walk up fare unless you find a friendly agent in LAX. And by friendly I mean also willing to break the rules.
Sometimes I wonder if people actually read what the OP asks before replying...

Anyway, 1h 30min is too risky as you will be on separate tickets. As the SFO-YYZ AC flight will also be a red eye, why not skip going up to SFO and instead book the direct AC red eye flight out of LAX? Will give you close to 4 hours between your flights at LAX, as the AC flight leaves around 10pm.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Okay apologies it’s MEL LAX, my point stands. It’s still
an ULH and subject to various delays even if it is often early.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Without Global Entry/NEXUS, OP is just asking for trouble with that short a connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.