Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Applying an Air Canada Bistro code to a Comfort fare

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 27, 20, 11:02 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 24left
Wiki Link
Air Canada COMFORT Fare info.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...in-canada.html

These images and other detail can be seen in post 43.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 10, 19, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

Using an Air Canada Bistro code gets you PR07 on your boarding pass which entitles you to some free food. Buying a Comfort fare gets you BVRG on your boarding pass which entitles you to a free alcoholic beverage. But what happens when you try to combine both?

It turns out PR07 wins.

However, I am left to wonder if I should still have gotten the BRVG. Would the crew have both the BVRG and PR07 noted on the PIL?

@canadiancow, I feel like this is the kind of stuff you would know!

Last edited by jasdou; Apr 10, 19 at 11:18 am
Old Apr 10, 19, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, WS Gold
I just went through this on a couple of recent flights where I ordered a meal tray and upgraded beverage and much to my frustration was charged $10.00 for the privilege. Sent in a complaint via the online form and got some aeroplan points for my troubles (not that I really need more of them) and much to my surprise got an e-mail from their service provider telling me they are looking in to it.

Please do as I did and send in your complaint - the more people who bring this to their attention the more likely they are to actually try to solve it.
Old Apr 10, 19, 10:30 am

Currently, the BVRG code does not show up on the same spot on the PIL or on the boarding pass stub as the PR07 code, so you can have both on the PIL. I have seen that numerous times. We have been trying to get IT to get the BRVG code in a better spot on the PIL. Currently, we have to manually transcribe it to the Y FAs. Depending on the flight, it can take a while and delays the start of service in all classes.

But to answer your question, they do not overwrite each other and you would have gotten the BVRG if you asked and were entitled to it.
Old Apr 10, 19, 11:57 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I had had BVRG not show up on a few comfort fares.

There was no free drink offered/given.
Old Apr 10, 19, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by _Clouds View Post
Currently, the BVRG code does not show up on the same spot on the PIL or on the boarding pass stub as the PR07 code, so you can have both on the PIL. I have seen that numerous times. We have been trying to get IT to get the BRVG code in a better spot on the PIL. Currently, we have to manually transcribe it to the Y FAs. Depending on the flight, it can take a while and delays the start of service in all classes.

But to answer your question, they do not overwrite each other and you would have gotten the BVRG if you asked and were entitled to it.
@_Clouds Thanks for the reply. Who has to manually transcribe the BVRG remark on the PIL? GA, SD...? This definitely seems to be hit or miss based on my own experience and that of other people in this thread.
Old Apr 10, 19, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), WS Gold

Just flew YXU-YYZ-YVR-YYZ-YXU this week on comfort fare with the Bistro credit. All boarding passes showed PR07/BVRG. Even the upgraded leg in J, and the flight attendant was then convinced I had a special meal.
Old Apr 10, 19, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer View Post

Just flew YXU-YYZ-YVR-YYZ-YXU this week on comfort fare with the Bistro credit. All boarding passes showed PR07/BVRG. Even the upgraded leg in J, and the flight attendant was then convinced I had a special meal.
Thanks for this. I will be flying on a combination of Comfort fare and Bistro code again on Friday. I will be sure to report back.
Old Apr 10, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by _Clouds View Post

That's good news - I've been flying on comfort fares a few times and never seen the BVRG code. Once the crew just gave me a drink, but mostly it was denied. Once I tried to get a fancy tea instead of a drink and was told I had to buy booze... but that's a different issue. Once it shows up on the BP it will be much smoother.

Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
I had had BVRG not show up on a few comfort fares.

There was no free drink offered/given.
That's consistent with my experience. I haven't seen it on three or four comfort fares (all times I've traveled on them).
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:33 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
The PR07 apparently is not valid on the hot meal tray option. I ordered that on a flight and was told I had to pay an extra $5. Web site wording suggests it should work. Got it sorted with a glass of wine from Biz class while paying the extra $5. Was told they get in trouble if meals out donít match $ in. The max value of a PR07 would appear to cover a hot meal tray.
Old Apr 10, 19, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
The PR07 apparently is not valid on the hot meal tray option. I ordered that on a flight and was told I had to pay an extra $5. Web site wording suggests it should work. Got it sorted with a glass of wine from Biz class while paying the extra $5. Was told they get in trouble if meals out donít match $ in. The max value of a PR07 would appear to cover a hot meal tray.
That's noted on the Bistro menu.
Latitude fare Customers who have purchased a Latitude fare ticket* or an Air Canada Bistro voucher are eligible for a choice of one meal item or one beverage, plus one snack item on flights over 2 hours and may upgrade to a Trio or the Hot Meal Tray for an additional $5.
What isn't noted is that the Freshii Pangoa bowl is also subject to an upcharge. It's value is $13.50 (including a snack) and the FAQ assigns the voucher to a value of $13.57, but I still had to pay the extra $5. Not sure why there's an inconsistency.
Old Apr 10, 19, 8:47 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Ok, thanks. Hadnít seen that language where I was looking on line so the system was correct. Still a decent deal if you get a drink and a snack for $8.
Old Apr 11, 19, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cedric View Post
That's noted on the Bistro menu.

What isn't noted is that the Freshii Pangoa bowl is also subject to an upcharge. It's value is $13.50 (including a snack) and the FAQ assigns the voucher to a value of $13.57, but I still had to pay the extra $5. Not sure why there's an inconsistency.
Again, expect inconsistency. I have had the Pangoa bowl plus a snack item on a few occasions without any upcharge.
cedric likes this.
Old Apr 11, 19, 9:18 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I had BVRG on my BP today....but it did not print on any manifest when the drink cart came around
Old Apr 11, 19, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by lcohen999 View Post
I had BVRG on my BP today....but it did not print on any manifest when the drink cart came around
Did you show your BP and they denied you because it wasn't on the PIL?
Old Apr 11, 19, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, WS Gold
It seems to me that AC changed the Bistro pre-purchase, increasing the price and "value" slightly. What I find puzzling is that they seem to provide conflicting T&C in terms of whether or not the meal tray is included at the new price. It claims to be valued at $13.57 plus tax, so at $13.50 the meal tray plus snack should fit in the total value and they say get "any item" from the Bistro menu (which clearly shows the meal tray on page 5). On the other hand it does state "Fresh meal menu items include pizza, pasta, wraps and sandwiches, all from $8.85 to $11.74" - no mention of meal tray as a fresh meal item.

Excluding the meal tray and Pangoa bowl, the most expensive items on the menu are $8.95 yet they claim that items range up to $11.74. Even with tax added, $8.95 doesn't come to $11.74. Similarly they say snacks range up to $5.90 but the most expensive item I see is $5.

if i were @skybluesea I'd be tempted to launch a complaint to Transport Canada and file a lawsuit for misleading advertising.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: