FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Applying an Air Canada Bistro code to a Comfort fare (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1964743-applying-air-canada-bistro-code-comfort-fare.html)

jasdou Apr 10, 2019 6:28 am

Applying an Air Canada Bistro code to a Comfort fare

Using an Air Canada Bistro code gets you PR07 on your boarding pass which entitles you to some free food. Buying a Comfort fare gets you BVRG on your boarding pass which entitles you to a free alcoholic beverage. But what happens when you try to combine both?

It turns out PR07 wins.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...5a04562498.jpg

However, I am left to wonder if I should still have gotten the BRVG. Would the crew have both the BVRG and PR07 noted on the PIL?

@canadiancow, I feel like this is the kind of stuff you would know!

The Lev Apr 10, 2019 7:33 am

I just went through this on a couple of recent flights where I ordered a meal tray and upgraded beverage and much to my frustration was charged $10.00 for the privilege. Sent in a complaint via the online form and got some aeroplan points for my troubles (not that I really need more of them) and much to my surprise got an e-mail from their service provider telling me they are looking in to it.

Please do as I did and send in your complaint - the more people who bring this to their attention the more likely they are to actually try to solve it.

_Clouds Apr 10, 2019 10:30 am

Currently, the BVRG code does not show up on the same spot on the PIL or on the boarding pass stub as the PR07 code, so you can have both on the PIL. I have seen that numerous times. We have been trying to get IT to get the BRVG code in a better spot on the PIL. Currently, we have to manually transcribe it to the Y FAs. Depending on the flight, it can take a while and delays the start of service in all classes.

But to answer your question, they do not overwrite each other and you would have gotten the BVRG if you asked and were entitled to it.

lcohen999 Apr 10, 2019 11:57 am

I had had BVRG not show up on a few comfort fares.

There was no free drink offered/given.

jasdou Apr 10, 2019 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by _Clouds (Post 30985713)
Currently, the BVRG code does not show up on the same spot on the PIL or on the boarding pass stub as the PR07 code, so you can have both on the PIL. I have seen that numerous times. We have been trying to get IT to get the BRVG code in a better spot on the PIL. Currently, we have to manually transcribe it to the Y FAs. Depending on the flight, it can take a while and delays the start of service in all classes.

But to answer your question, they do not overwrite each other and you would have gotten the BVRG if you asked and were entitled to it.

@_Clouds Thanks for the reply. Who has to manually transcribe the BVRG remark on the PIL? GA, SD...? This definitely seems to be hit or miss based on my own experience and that of other people in this thread.

YHZ_Flyer Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...31b9b0fba.jpeg
Just flew YXU-YYZ-YVR-YYZ-YXU this week on comfort fare with the Bistro credit. All boarding passes showed PR07/BVRG. Even the upgraded leg in J, and the flight attendant was then convinced I had a special meal.

jasdou Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer (Post 30986595)
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...31b9b0fba.jpeg
Just flew YXU-YYZ-YVR-YYZ-YXU this week on comfort fare with the Bistro credit. All boarding passes showed PR07/BVRG. Even the upgraded leg in J, and the flight attendant was then convinced I had a special meal.

Thanks for this. I will be flying on a combination of Comfort fare and Bistro code again on Friday. I will be sure to report back.

CdnFlier Apr 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by _Clouds (Post 30985713)

That's good news - I've been flying on comfort fares a few times and never seen the BVRG code. Once the crew just gave me a drink, but mostly it was denied. Once I tried to get a fancy tea instead of a drink and was told I had to buy booze... but that's a different issue. Once it shows up on the BP it will be much smoother.

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 30986016)
I had had BVRG not show up on a few comfort fares.

There was no free drink offered/given.

That's consistent with my experience. I haven't seen it on three or four comfort fares (all times I've traveled on them).

Altaflyer Apr 10, 2019 4:33 pm

The PR07 apparently is not valid on the hot meal tray option. I ordered that on a flight and was told I had to pay an extra $5. Web site wording suggests it should work. Got it sorted with a glass of wine from Biz class while paying the extra $5. Was told they get in trouble if meals out don’t match $ in. The max value of a PR07 would appear to cover a hot meal tray.

cedric Apr 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 30986901)
The PR07 apparently is not valid on the hot meal tray option. I ordered that on a flight and was told I had to pay an extra $5. Web site wording suggests it should work. Got it sorted with a glass of wine from Biz class while paying the extra $5. Was told they get in trouble if meals out don’t match $ in. The max value of a PR07 would appear to cover a hot meal tray.

That's noted on the Bistro menu.

Latitude fare Customers who have purchased a Latitude fare ticket* or an Air Canada Bistro voucher are eligible for a choice of one meal item or one beverage, plus one snack item on flights over 2 hours and may upgrade to a Trio or the Hot Meal Tray for an additional $5.
What isn't noted is that the Freshii Pangoa bowl is also subject to an upcharge. It's value is $13.50 (including a snack) and the FAQ assigns the voucher to a value of $13.57, but I still had to pay the extra $5. Not sure why there's an inconsistency.

Altaflyer Apr 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Ok, thanks. Hadn’t seen that language where I was looking on line so the system was correct. Still a decent deal if you get a drink and a snack for $8.

jasdou Apr 11, 2019 3:51 am

Originally Posted by cedric (Post 30987439)
That's noted on the Bistro menu.

What isn't noted is that the Freshii Pangoa bowl is also subject to an upcharge. It's value is $13.50 (including a snack) and the FAQ assigns the voucher to a value of $13.57, but I still had to pay the extra $5. Not sure why there's an inconsistency.

Again, expect inconsistency. I have had the Pangoa bowl plus a snack item on a few occasions without any upcharge.

lcohen999 Apr 11, 2019 9:18 pm

I had BVRG on my BP today....but it did not print on any manifest when the drink cart came around

yyznomad Apr 11, 2019 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 30991214)
I had BVRG on my BP today....but it did not print on any manifest when the drink cart came around

Did you show your BP and they denied you because it wasn't on the PIL?

The Lev Apr 11, 2019 11:27 pm

It seems to me that AC changed the Bistro pre-purchase, increasing the price and "value" slightly. What I find puzzling is that they seem to provide conflicting T&C in terms of whether or not the meal tray is included at the new price. It claims to be valued at $13.57 plus tax, so at $13.50 the meal tray plus snack should fit in the total value and they say get "any item" from the Bistro menu (which clearly shows the meal tray on page 5). On the other hand it does state "Fresh meal menu items include pizza, pasta, wraps and sandwiches, all from $8.85 to $11.74" - no mention of meal tray as a fresh meal item.

Excluding the meal tray and Pangoa bowl, the most expensive items on the menu are $8.95 yet they claim that items range up to $11.74. Even with tax added, $8.95 doesn't come to $11.74. Similarly they say snacks range up to $5.90 but the most expensive item I see is $5.

if i were @skybluesea I'd be tempted to launch a complaint to Transport Canada and file a lawsuit for misleading advertising. :p