Wiki Posts
Search

Gate availability in YYZ T1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Gate availability in YYZ T1

I'm wondering if I'm just unlucky; in my last dozen landings in YYZ from December until now, 4 of my flights have had a wait for a ramp crew hold on the tarmac. Most are sub 5 minutes, but one was about 19 minutes and the other was 55 minutes. In 60 flights last year, I had only one hold in Richmond VA I believe in addition to the YYZ holds. I was not tracking previous flights very well so I don't really recall exactly how many flights had a hold, but I do recall noticing it was a trend . . . .

Does anyone notice the no gate crew happens more often in YYZ than anywhere else or is this just me? It's annoying me and I did send a note in about the 55 minute one (thanks here's 5% off your flight - not the point); but I am curious if it's others experience as well. Once I'm on the ground I kinda just want to get off.

Just curious. Thx.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Anything and everything
55 minutes is way too long!

I remember it being 32C outside landing at ORY. We were late departing from LCY because the French pilots happened to mail it in that Monday morning and arrived late, so we arrived at ORY about 1 hour late. We land but they forgot to tell the ground crew to bring the stairs and bus. We were stuck inside the aircraft for about 30 minutes while waiting for them lazy-... airport personnel to show up. Pilots were going nuts trying to get updates for us and after 10 minutes of the plane heating up to sauna levels, they had to turn the engines back on provide us with AC to cool down. It was a shitshow.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
This is a constant problem at YYC. There doesn’t seem to be enough ground crews.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
As one pilot said over the PA expressing his frustration that there was no gate crew "its not like they haven't known for the last 6 hours we were coming".
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by atsak
I'm wondering if I'm just unlucky; in my last dozen landings in YYZ from December until now, 4 of my flights have had a wait for a ramp crew hold on the tarmac. Most are sub 5 minutes, but one was about 19 minutes and the other was 55 minutes. In 60 flights last year, I had only one hold in Richmond VA I believe in addition to the YYZ holds. I was not tracking previous flights very well so I don't really recall exactly how many flights had a hold, but I do recall noticing it was a trend . . . .

Does anyone notice the no gate crew happens more often in YYZ than anywhere else or is this just me? It's annoying me and I did send a note in about the 55 minute one (thanks here's 5% off your flight - not the point); but I am curious if it's others experience as well. Once I'm on the ground I kinda just want to get off.

Just curious. Thx.
Can you provide specific dates that this happened? What was the weather like? What had the weather like been the day before? hours before? What time did your flights arrive?

Likely AC schedules staffing based on flights being on time (or very close to it). In an ideal weather situation there are spare gates, but likely no (or not many) spare crews. While your flight might have landed on time, the ground crew may have been taken from your flight assignment to another flight that came in early (or late). Perhaps the crew that was reassigned to your flight got tied up with another flight that was delayed getting off their gate.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Can you provide specific dates that this happened? What was the weather like? What had the weather like been the day before? hours before? What time did your flights arrive?

Likely AC schedules staffing based on flights being on time (or very close to it). In an ideal weather situation there are spare gates, but likely no (or not many) spare crews. While your flight might have landed on time, the ground crew may have been taken from your flight assignment to another flight that came in early (or late). Perhaps the crew that was reassigned to your flight got tied up with another flight that was delayed getting off their gate.
I'll look for those specifics when I have a few minutes in the next couple days.

To generally answer some questions:
Weather was OK on arrival, can't speak to earlier in the day.
Flights were all evening arrivals, most of mine are.
One of the flights was delayed, yes.

I think maybe the ground crews are stretched a little too thin, but I'm trying to see if maybe it's just me, if no one else is really noticing it; it's just bad luck. Hence the question. If it's just me then oh well, but if others are noticing it I'm more interested in at least commiserating, and maybe pointing it out more specifically as an operational problem. PS United flights have also been affected, but I suspect they are the same ground crews.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by atsak
I'll look for those specifics when I have a few minutes in the next couple days.

To generally answer some questions:
Weather was OK on arrival, can't speak to earlier in the day.
Flights were all evening arrivals, most of mine are.
One of the flights was delayed, yes.

I think maybe the ground crews are stretched a little too thin, but I'm trying to see if maybe it's just me, if no one else is really noticing it; it's just bad luck. Hence the question. If it's just me then oh well, but if others are noticing it I'm more interested in at least commiserating, and maybe pointing it out more specifically as an operational problem. PS United flights have also been affected, but I suspect they are the same ground crews.
In YYZ, AC is handled by AC, UA is handled by ATS (I believe)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: TK *G
I noticed this problem too. Though in my case it was the marshaller trying to direct us to the wrong gate, and we almost made the turn.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Generally speaking, it's warmer in the break room than outside on the tarmac.
songsc likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
None of my international YYZ arrivals from Asia on AC have had a timely presence of Gate crew or Gate availability. Added to this is the poor delivery time of baggage and the AC experience adds about 30-45 minutes more time compared to my arrivals with EVA.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq

Failing to anticipate and plan for occurrences that happen every day is just deliberately short-staffing and let customers eat the wait time. Is there ever a day that there isn't a delayed flight arriving or departing YYZ? Routine circumstances should not cause cascading effects. With AC's often very tight scheduled turnarounds, even 1 minute spent waiting for a gate is a delay that will propagate to the next flight operated by that aircraft.
D404 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
There seem to be two issues at YYZ - shortage of gate crews and shortage of gates. The gate crew shortage usually results in short delays of 2-5 minutes. the gate shortage was the likely cause for your longer delays.

I do wonder whether the savings AC may make on salaries for gate crews (I'm assuming not very highly paid) are eaten up many times over by the extra fuel consumed while the aircraft is idling waiting to turn into the gate and the combined salaries of the crew on those delayed aircraft who continue to be paid until the aircraft actually gets to the gate.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by MQS007
As one pilot said over the PA expressing his frustration that there was no gate crew "its not like they haven't known for the last 6 hours we were coming".
I say that about CBSA. At land borders too. Like it’s the first time that half of S. Ontario went shopping in NY on a Saturday or Sunday.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If the problem is lack of gate crews, then that is up to AC to fix. If the problem is lack of gates, then that should get slightly better soon with 6 new transborder jetbridge gates on the back side of the transborder pier opening soon. These should help more than just the transborder flights, since they can allow some swing gates to go domestic (there are 7 on the neck of the E pier and along the main building) or international (there are 4 close to the hammerhead on the F pier.) Of course AC has to make sure that there is enough staff for the extra gates.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Maybe things have changed (for the worse?) now, but back when I was doing daily flights into/out of YYZ in 2017 and weekly TATL/TPAC flights from 2011-2016 it was a mix of everything... sometimes there was zero wait and sometimes it was up to an hour wait. But the more significant delays must have been negligible as I'm pretty sure I'd post about it too.
I mean, there were also times after we landed at YYZ where we were delayed on the tarmac due to weather and other IRROPS... I remember the afternoon of the flash flooding (July 2013) several aircraft, including ours from LHR, waited for roughly two hours before we could get a gate (or get to a gate)? Anyway... fun times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.