Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Surprised how cheap YVR-PVG is with AC

Surprised how cheap YVR-PVG is with AC

Old Mar 29, 19, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
It is not just the YVR routes, but YUL-PVG as well.. It was almost as if it was a placeholder strategy, albeit a part of the JV with Air China. If one picks random dates in June, Air China can offer deep discounts seats anywhere from $900 (or less with designated TAs) vs. AC's deep discount at $1200. That's a hefty price difference in Y. Both airlines have to pay the same basic costs for aircraft purchase, catering, fuel, landing and overflight etc. The small difference due to labour costs, isn't that much in the overall picture. I doubt that Air China is making a profit on this route either and it is a reasonable conclusion that the state is supporting the airline, while the saps in Canada's hinterland pay inflated airfares to cover AC's losses here.
It's hard to imagine any of the Chinese carriers making money on these routes, but look on the bright side, cheap airfare...
Old Mar 29, 19, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
It's hard to imagine any of the Chinese carriers making money on these routes, but look on the bright side, cheap airfare...
Look at is this way:
-Sichuan airlines can sell 40 seats per day on YVR-SHE at a premium
-They need to heavily discount the remaining seats
-I also doubt that this strategy is revenue positive, but they are forward thinking
Old Mar 29, 19, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Its even cheaper ex-USA via YUL/YVR

Aint competition great.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 29, 19, 10:30 am

Programs: AC*E - PC Plat - Carlson Gold - National E/E
My wife is currently in China on a tour.... let's just say the chinese are treating them like royalty because they want the tourism bad. (The tour was setup to bring over a big group of canadians who would encourage others to come on group trips).

heavily subsidized.

Flights with AC return, plus 4/5* hotels, all the bouncing around, bullet trains, etc 11 days.... roughly $1300 excluding the Visa. Can't beat that.

Word on the ground is tourists are being treated properly as they are seeing the impact in reduced travel.
Old Mar 29, 19, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
My last YUL-PVG had one person in J and 2 in PY - and a boatload of op-ups. Most pax seemed to be carrying American passports Clearly there is a market for these cheap Y fares to/from China.
Very happy for the Chinese carriers to engage in predatory pricing against AC, giving AC a taste of their own medicine.

We were in China 3 weeks ago as tourists, didnt encounter a single problem (actually never have in China).
Like someone above said - why would the Chinese care about tourists.

Now if I was flying for work to China, I might be more afraid, especially if my employer is not china-friendly.

Also, @lsquare, you can (and have been able for a while) to fly in/out of Singapore, and in/out of China for <C$500 from YYZ

Last edited by rankourabu; Mar 29, 19 at 10:46 am
Old Mar 29, 19, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
How come the fares to HKG with / without a PVG / PEK / SHE connection are still $300-400 more typically? Isn't the blood bath applicable to HKG as well?
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: BA Gold/SPG Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Its even cheaper ex-USA via YUL/YVR

Aint competition great.
Too bad the TATL cartel is so strong. Biz fares to Europe are insane
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
My last YUL-PVG had one person in J and 2 in PY - and a boatload of op-ups. Most pax seemed to be carrying American passports Clearly there is a market for these cheap Y fares to/from China.
Very happy for the Chinese carriers to engage in predatory pricing against AC, giving AC a taste of their own medicine.

We were in China 3 weeks ago as tourists, didnt encounter a single problem (actually never have in China).
Like someone above said - why would the Chinese care about tourists.

Now if I was flying for work to China, I might be more afraid, especially if my employer is not china-friendly.

Also, @lsquare, you can (and have been able for a while) to fly in/out of Singapore, and in/out of China for <C$500 from YYZ
Targeting any random Joe is actually going to help drive the Canadian government's message that China is arbitrarily detaining Canadians. It's not going to help them get Meng Wanzhou back. Let's say you were arrested in China even though you were there with a tour, how would the Chinese government defend that decision?

That's awesome! The lowest I've ever seen to SIN was C$639 with CA. I saw that a few days ago, but decided not to do it.
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
How come the fares to HKG with / without a PVG / PEK / SHE connection are still $300-400 more typically? Isn't the blood bath applicable to HKG as well?
During the AC sale, YVR-HKG was more expensive than YVR-PVG. It wasn't $300-$400 more, but more like $125 more.
Old Mar 29, 19, 11:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold
Yesterday I booked this route for a trip in June. Despite the wide open plane I could only get P class on the outbound and the return was D. It was surprisingly not very cheap.
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: AC*G-E50K (former AC*G-SE100K for 3 yrs)
Trudeau can add low fares to China to his list of accomplishments!
Crampedin13A, m.y, lsquare and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Maybe one day AC will be able to fly to YYT for the same price as PVG.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by cooleddie View Post
Trudeau can add low fares to China to his list of accomplishments!
At least until the carbon tax kicks in and AC adds another fuel surcharge as a matter of course.
Old Mar 29, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Within the prairies, AC is charging RT $700+ to fly 1-1.5 hour on a Turbo prop with a booking less than 7 days away. WJ charges exactly the same price. Or you can fly to PVG for a holiday for the same price or less.

Last edited by Sunny Day; Mar 29, 19 at 1:25 pm
Old Mar 29, 19, 2:03 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios
Originally Posted by Sunny Day View Post
I would easily agree to paying that premium for a direct flight to HKG rather that transferring intra-China.

HKG is a completely different market than PVG or similar.

Search this Thread