Missed Check-In Luggage Deadline

Old Mar 28, 19, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Unhappy Missed Check-In Luggage Deadline

I arrived at the check-in terminal 59 minutes before my flight. Check-in luggage deadline is 60 minutes. Machine would not print my baggage tags. I went to the bag drop line and the lady scolds me for missing the time.

I ask if I can gate check my bag and she says no. Hence, I have to store my luggage at the airport and take whatever I could quickly gather into a plastic bag onto the flight.

How do you travel pros handle this predicament if you miss the deadline?

One thought I had was going to the gate with my bag and then having them inevitably tell me it's too big and they would have to gate check it. Would that work, despite the AC employee's statement that I couldn't do it?
Old Mar 28, 19, 10:27 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetLife View Post
I arrived at the check-in terminal 59 minutes before my flight. Check-in luggage deadline is 60 minutes. Machine would not print my baggage tags. I went to the bag drop line and the lady scolds me for missing the time.

I ask if I can gate check my bag and she says no. Hence, I have to store my luggage at the airport and take whatever I could quickly gather into a plastic bag onto the flight.

One thought I had was going to the gate with my bag and then having them inevitably tell me it's too big and they would have to gate check it. Would that work, despite the AC employee's statement that I couldn't do it?
If you missed it by 15 min or less, you still should have been allowed to check your bag, but the tag is marked late with a large L on the tag. All this really means, that your bag is not guarantied on making your flight. If they were not able to print your tag, you were more than 15 min late. So how late were you?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 10:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Unless the GA is the same person as the TA, you should be fine scamming the system and checking at the gate.
jerry305 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 10:51 am
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RangerNS View Post
Unless the GA is the same person as the TA, you should be fine scamming the system and checking at the gate.
Unless your bag is not carry on size. It sounds like OP was way more than 1 min late for his flight. He should be lucky AC even let him on the flight.
Old Mar 28, 19, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
@JetLife

What is the dimension/size/model of the luggage you were thinking of gate checking (but ultimately ended up storing)?
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:28 am
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AE Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Getting to the airport at 59 minutes is not the same as speaking to the agent at 59 minutes.

Unless this was a connecting flight, wouldn’t the flat tire rule apply?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5mm View Post
If you missed it by 15 min or less, you still should have been allowed to check your bag, but the tag is marked late with a large L on the tag. All this really means, that your bag is not guarantied on making your flight. If they were not able to print your tag, you were more than 15 min late. So how late were you?
I used the check-in machine 59 minutes before my flight departure, as I indicated. The lady said the deadline is 60 minutes and there are no exceptions. She also said it couldn't be sent on the flight the next day, which would have been fine with me.

Unless your bag is not carry on size. It sounds like OP was way more than 1 min late for his flight. He should be lucky AC even let him on the flight.
The bag is not carry on size. If it was, I would have just carried on. Why am I "lucky" AC let me on the flight? I made it to the gate 10 minutes before pre-boarding.

Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
@JetLife

What is the dimension/size/model of the luggage you were thinking of gate checking (but ultimately ended up storing)?
Not sure exactly, but a typical checked baggage size. Too large to be a carry-on.
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RoutingWonk View Post
Getting to the airport at 59 minutes is not the same as speaking to the agent at 59 minutes.

Unless this was a connecting flight, wouldn’t the flat tire rule apply?
I used the check-in machine 59 minutes before flight. I asked an agent why I couldn't print the bag tags and she said to just go to the bag drop instead. It was probably 55 minutes before the flight when I spoke to the lady at the start of the line at bag drop.

It's an international flight if that matters.
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:37 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Wouldn't there be an issue If it's too large to fit through the x-ray machines at security? I've seen bags that don't fit 'into' the boxes and sit on top but if they can't x-ray it I can see them sending you back to bag drop.
Old Mar 28, 19, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
Wouldn't there be an issue If it's too large to fit through the x-ray machines at security? I've seen bags that don't fit 'into' the boxes and sit on top but if they can't x-ray it I can see them sending you back to bag drop.
Good point. Not sure if it would fit or not as I have never tried to bring it through. It's not absurdly large so I think it would fit.
Old Mar 28, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hertz 5*
Not true. They will fight hard to not issue an L tag. I have had to escalate on site at least twice in <15 minutes late situations.

Check-in agent would deny me, I argue. Get nowhere. Then go hunt down a supervisor on the floor and make it happen.

Old Mar 28, 19, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyckerr View Post

Not true. They will fight hard to not issue an L tag. I have had to escalate on site at least twice in <15 minutes late situations.

Check-in agent would deny me, I argue. Get nowhere. Then go hunt down a supervisor on the floor and make it happen.

I wanted to do that but I was tight on time (obviously) so didn't want to risk missing the flight.
Old Mar 28, 19, 12:23 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yyckerr View Post

I have never had to fight to get a late tag. AC accepts bags up to 45 min before flight. I got 1 last week for AC 566.
Old Mar 28, 19, 12:33 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
While no on AC I had a situation a few months ago with United at HNL where traffic was so bad I arrived an hour 10 before the flight.

I had to use the machines and the machine kept asking for a passport check and there was no one around. By the time someone came in it was -60 minutes to the flight, and it started spitting out BP's and tags.

Problem was it spitted out both our BP's but only tags for my wife's bag. The machine stopped the moment it went -59.

They scolded me for being late and insisted they couldn't do anything. It was sent on another flight which arrived earlier than we did because we got stuck at the gate.
Old Mar 28, 19, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE*100K
Originally Posted by JetLife View Post
a) Never check bags.

b) If you manage to screw up a), show up to the airport in plenty of time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: