Missed Check-In Luggage Deadline

Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Not always possible and can be entirely out of the passengers control. As an example, I flew LHR-YVR-YYC. Somewhere between check in and the gate at LHR a family had lost their passports, so their baggage had to be offloaded. We lost our takeoff slot and there was quite a delay leaving. Had headwinds to YVR so the flight took longer than normal. Landing at YVR, I have to clear customs and bags are reclaimed in the customs hall and have to be rechecked for the domestic flight. With all the delays, the normal check-in window for the bag drop for my domestic had passed, so they told me I had to go landside and see the agents there.

So I go landside and see the check in agent. They phoned the gate to see if boarding had started and it hadn't. They looked at the empty security line and asked "Can you run?". I said yes, and they said to go to the gate and they would take care of my bag. Both bag and I made the flight, but there was no way I could have made the check-in cutoff any earlier.
Sounds to me like someone in YVR messed up. You checked in for your flight in LHR and your bags were tagged there. AFAIK when travelling on a single itinerary there is no such thing as "check-in window" when you're connecting; the 45-minute cut-off for a domestic flight doesn't/shouldn't apply. If the connections bag drop is closed, that's a different issue but the people landside did the right thing by having you drop your bag and get you to the gate.

This thread is about a what to do when a pax arrives late to check in with baggage at point of departure; your example isn't really relevant. You showed up on time in LHR, which is all that matters.
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.