Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Check-In Luggage Deadline

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you never miss a flight, you're spending too much time in airports.
As yes, the ago old frequent flier wisdom.

But you forgot the corollary "If you think you are spending too much time in airports, you show up late and you/your bags miss a flight, don't complain about it on FlyerTalk".
Old Mar 29, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by cade2005
I would just not get there 59 mins before the flight. Get there in plenty of time. Was this your first time flying?
Oh please. Traffic happens. Kids happen. Life happens.

Give me a break.
dirkster, xray, arf04 and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

But you forgot the corollary "If you think you are spending too much time in airports, you show up late and you/your bags miss a flight, don't complain about it on FlyerTalk".
I prefer:

There's always someone who knows more than you [on FlyerTalk].
Sometimes, they really do.
Plumber likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

If you miss your flight because you're 1 minute late, doesn't that make you spend even more time in the airport waiting for the next one?

Never missing a flight actually reduces time spent in airport, so the "wisdom" is just flat-out wrong.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 1:45 pm

I think optimizing for the lowest aggregate airport waiting time overall is the intended strategy, such that the contribution of infrequent missed flights are overwhelmed by shorter waits in the typical case.
The Lev and FlyingEgghead like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
as someone who was up at 330 am today to ensure I arrived at least 75 mins before my MEX-YVR departure time I wish I could have arrived 45 mins before departure and still made it.

my bag tag received the L even though bags were checked in by 544 am. odd.

i can count on my hand how many flights I have ever missed in my lifetime and:

AS/QX BLI-SEA crazy border line-ups and I was MVP Gold and still no dice (AS was kind enough to reimburse my overnight in SEA even though they did not need to)
AC YYZ-MEX set my iPhone alarm for...pm instead am and my friend called from the MLL asking where I was. Standing in the Sheraton T3 window trying to wave (caught the next flight that day).
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by mysterym
never check bags. if you are a smart packer you should be able to pack 10-14 days worth of stuff into a normal size carry-on.

i have flown hundreds of times and only checked twice and that was due to moving or carrying equipment

some international carriers are more restrictive than US carriers (i.e. smaller dimensions, lower weight limits)
Intelligence doesn't enter into it, some people simply need items that are too large and/or heavy to be carried on, especially in addition to the normal essential items we all pack. This is particularly true of business travellers who require tools or equipment. Airplanes have cargo holds for a reason.
BlondeBomber, htb, ffsim and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:03 pm

never check bags. if you are a smart packer you should be able to pack 10-14 days worth of stuff into a normal size carry-on.

i have flown hundreds of times and only checked twice and that was due to moving or carrying equipment

some international carriers are more restrictive than US carriers (i.e. smaller dimensions, lower weight limits)
Not to interrupt your patting yourself on the back, but you can't presume to know what others may be carrying or need that you can smugly say that. My father for instance wore size 15AA shoes (ski feet almost!) and as a very tall man his clothes did take up more room than perhaps yours. So he had to be a smart packer yet still needed more for luggage than just one carry on.
htb, lsquare, flyquiet and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If you miss your flight because you're 1 minute late, doesn't that make you spend even more time in the airport waiting for the next one?

Never missing a flight actually reduces time spent in airport, so the "wisdom" is just flat-out wrong.
That only works if your sample size is 1 flight. If you miss a flight and spend 6 hours waiting for the next one, arriving 90 minutes before a flight instead of 2 hours is only going to take 12 flights to break even.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by justhere
That only works if your sample size is 1 flight. If you miss a flight and spend 6 hours waiting for the next one, arriving 90 minutes before a flight instead of 2 hours is only going to take 12 flights to break even.
I'm not suggesting arriving 90 minutes before a flight. I'm suggesting planning things well enough that you never arrive one minute late.

If I aimed for T-30, I'd miss flights once or twice a month, and be stuck for hours all the time.

If I aim for T-45, I never miss anything, because even a delay gets me there with enough time.
Plumber and 5mm like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not suggesting arriving 90 minutes before a flight. I'm suggesting planning things well enough that you never arrive one minute late.

If I aimed for T-30, I'd miss flights once or twice a month, and be stuck for hours all the time.

If I aim for T-45, I never miss anything, because even a delay gets me there with enough time.
Ok, but a few things to consider. If the bag check cutoff is 1 hour before the flight, arriving 90 minutes would be reasonable. But that aside, I was using 90 minutes just to make the math easy. So what's the cutoff between never one minute late and one minute late? You can't possibly cut it that fine on a regular basis unless you take the same flight all the time. Which, by the way, I've done. Had it down to a science. But I'm guessing that's not the average traveler. If you are catching different flights on different days from different airports, you have to make the decision to either get to the airport in plenty of time or to cut it close. And for many (most?) people 15 minutes is on the same side of the line as cutting it close.

So if you are a traveler that cuts it close and you do miss by 1 minute, the amount of time you've saved by not putting yourself on the other side of that line each time, is probably worth the risk.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by yyckerr
Not true. They will fight hard to not issue an L tag. I have had to escalate on site at least twice in <15 minutes late situations.

Check-in agent would deny me, I argue. Get nowhere. Then go hunt down a supervisor on the floor and make it happen.

Getting them to re-open a flight is not trivial. the check-in agent can't do it. they need to track down someone who has the authorisation - it is a major PITA for them to locate someone to re-open the flight, check your bag and close it again. They might do it for a SE, but it definitely isn't something you can count on.

If you are late and as long as your bag will fit through the x-ray machine, just haul it through security and then gate check it. Otherwise you are pretty much stuck doing what the OP did.
jc94 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:56 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Intelligence doesn't enter into it, some people simply need items that are too large and/or heavy to be carried on, especially in addition to the normal essential items we all pack. This is particularly true of business travellers who require tools or equipment. Airplanes have cargo holds for a reason.
Case in point... this is me (actually my wife and I, it's not all my luggage) at YYZ heading out last month on what, at least for me, is a fairly typical trip. Ski equipment and other outdoor winter gear take up a lot of space. I think I would have considerable difficulty doing these trips with carry-on baggage only.

Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
We're having this check-or-not debate again, are we?
If it is more than 3-4 days, and I have daily executive level meetings, I can save space by not wearing suits, but I cannot wear the same dress every day (nobody cares if you repeat the same dockers and oxford shirt), plus I need foundation garments, sleepwear, and running apparel. I need various footwear for business and free time, even if just one of each (heels, running shoes and walk-around shoes). To maintain what I am expected to look like, I need cosmetic products, some of which are >100mL per container.
Sorry, it is not just my lack of intelligence that prevents me from carrying on.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
You are lucky because AC's checkin cutoff time for transborder or international flights is 60 minutes. Not 59.
I had already checked in online hours before my flight. No luck involved.

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Possibly, but that was never mentioned. Even if they were, the baggage issue remains the same. 59 is not 60.
Hence why I'm asking for advice here. What value are you adding?

I normally don't check bags but in this case I needed to. Has nothing to do with being a "smart packer".

Originally Posted by cade2005
I would just not get there 59 mins before the flight. Get there in plenty of time. Was this your first time flying?
Thanks for adding value! Glad to hear you have never had an unexpected circumstance cause you to be late to something.

===

What is with this forum and all the people posting condescending messages that add no value?

Thanks to everybody who posted here and actually contributed insight and useful advice.
arf04 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.