Missed Check-In Luggage Deadline

Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:49 pm

I had an issue last year. I was at check-in desk 65 minutes before departure but for some reason the airport had the wrong departure time on their board so the contractors had already left the check-in desk. Fortunately the United people at the desk next door were able to radio them to come back, but by that time the "cart" they used was gone and they said they couldn't do anything. They asked if I had anything that couldn't go through as carry-on, and I said no. There was no issue with me taking my "way too big" bag through security (this was a full sized suit case), and I was able to gate check the bag through to my destination.

This was in the US, so I'm not sure if Canadian regulations are different, but my experience was that they'll allow anything through security as long as it isn't prohibited, provided it can go through scanner.

Also, in this situation I was at the desk before the proper check-in time so they couldn't simply blame me for being late.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by 5mm
I have never had to fight to get a late tag. AC accepts bags up to 45 min before flight. I got 1 last week for AC 566.
YMMV then, but getting the tag with an L is not standard for all.

FWIW, I had 50K status both times too.

xray likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by 5mm
I have never had to fight to get a late tag. AC accepts bags up to 45 min before flight. I got 1 last week for AC 566.
You got a bag accepted with no issues 45minutes before a transborder flight? Even though the AC website is very clear that domestic is 45min, US/International is clearly 60min?

Did it happen to be on either the 22nd or 25th of March? or the 15th, or possibly on an outside chance the 13th?

Last edited by yyz_atc_qq; Mar 28, 2019 at 3:45 pm Reason: added 2 more possible dates
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by JetLife
I used the check-in machine 59 minutes before my flight departure, as I indicated. The lady said the deadline is 60 minutes and there are no exceptions. She also said it couldn't be sent on the flight the next day, which would have been fine with me.

The bag is not carry on size. If it was, I would have just carried on. Why am I "lucky" AC let me on the flight? I made it to the gate 10 minutes before pre-boarding.

Not sure exactly, but a typical checked baggage size. Too large to be a carry-on.
Depends on whether TSA has luggage xray or hand checks every bag. If they hand check it, the rule is inviolate
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:47 pm

Why am I "lucky" AC let me on the flight? I made it to the gate 10 minutes before pre-boarding.
You are lucky because AC's checkin cutoff time for transborder or international flights is 60 minutes. Not 59.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
You are lucky because AC's checkin cutoff time for transborder or international flights is 60 minutes. Not 59.
Could have been checked in already.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Could have been checked in already.
Possibly, but that was never mentioned. Even if they were, the baggage issue remains the same. 59 is not 60.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I once dropped off luggage at the priority desk maybe with 43 min left on a domestic flight. I was in the priority line queue and it was slow. The lady was kind enough to do something to the flight like reopen it, get my tags printed, and close it again. But she seemed to have a lot of experience. I probably would not have got the same treatment in the self check in line.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I arrived at the check-in terminal 59 minutes before my flight. Check-in luggage deadline is 60 minutes. Machine would not print my baggage tags. I went to the bag drop line and the lady scolds me for missing the time.

I ask if I can gate check my bag and she says no. Hence, I have to store my luggage at the airport and take whatever I could quickly gather into a plastic bag onto the flight.

How do you travel pros handle this predicament if you miss the deadline?

One thought I had was going to the gate with my bag and then having them inevitably tell me it's too big and they would have to gate check it. Would that work, despite the AC employee's statement that I couldn't do it?
Wow. I was in a similar situation as you earlier this year with WS, but no issue. They just print the tag and quickly put it on suitcase and off I go.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:21 pm

never check bags. if you are a smart packer you should be able to pack 10-14 days worth of stuff into a normal size carry-on.

i have flown hundreds of times and only checked twice and that was due to moving or carrying equipment

some international carriers are more restrictive than US carriers (i.e. smaller dimensions, lower weight limits)
expert7700 and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Once you are past the cut off, try asking check in agent to call the departure GA and see if they are willing to open up the flight - it is up to the GA to make that call in many cases. If you have status, it also helps.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:03 am

Hello, I want to congratulate you on the good question! And I had the same problem. Thanks for the question helped me a lot!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I rarely check bags....but sometimes when travelling with family or others, I do check bags.

On one ocasion, due to some unforeseen issues, we were arriving at the airport at T-40 min. I contacted the Concierge (before T-60 min) who met us at the curb with luggage tags, a luggage cart and boarding passes. They took our bags and made sure they got on the plane.

I understand that not everybody has access to a Concierge, but this is one more instance where it makes sense to push for attaining SE status if you are close and on the fence whether it is worth it or not.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:18 am

Somebody

I arrived at the check-in terminal 59 minutes before my flight. Check-in luggage deadline is 60 minutes. Machine would not print my baggage tags. I went to the bag drop line and the lady scolds me for missing the time.

I ask if I can gate check my bag and she says no. Hence, I have to store my luggage at the airport and take whatever I could quickly gather into a plastic bag onto the flight.

One thought I had was going to the gate with my bag and then having them inevitably tell me it's too big and they would have to gate check it. Would that work, despite the AC employee's statement that I couldn't do it?
I would just not get there 59 mins before the flight. Get there in plenty of time. Was this your first time flying?
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cade2005
I would just not get there 59 mins before the flight. Get there in plenty of time. Was this your first time flying?
If you never miss a flight, you're spending too much time in airports.
dirkster, Plumber, lsquare and 5 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.