Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance changed with UA's same day change policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold

I booked with UA LHR-EWR and AC on CDG-YUL-EWR. Ticketed with UA. I was given 2 bags as * Gold despite booking UA's Basic Economy.

On the CDG/YUL leg, the original ticket showed that I don't need to pay for my first bag; however, after a SDC with the UA's leg, the new ticket shows that I've to pay a 50 EUR check-in fee for my bags. How would that actually happen?

Asked AC for a refund, and they are processing it now.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tobiashenry
I booked with UA LHR-EWR and AC on CDG-YUL-EWR. Ticketed with UA. I was given 2 bags as * Gold despite booking UA's Basic Economy.

On the CDG/YUL leg, the original ticket showed that I don't need to pay for my first bag; however, after a SDC with the UA's leg, the new ticket shows that I've to pay a 50 EUR check-in fee for my bags. How would that actually happen?

Asked AC for a refund, and they are processing it now.
I'm no longer well-versed in UA rules like I was a decade ago... but don't *G checked luggage allowances/benefits override any UA restrictive fare luggage allowances/fees?

Also, on the AC side, even for Basic when booking a ticket, depending on where you look, the wording will say $$$ for checked bags even though the member's E50/75/100 AP number is on the booking. (point being that AC E50/75/S100 status overrides this restriction)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:44 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I'm no longer well-versed in UA rules like I was a decade ago... but don't *G checked luggage allowances/benefits override any UA restrictive fare luggage allowances/fees?
Yes: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...onomy-faq.aspx

On trans-Atlantic flights, you will be charged a fee of $60 for your first standard checked bag. MileagePlus Premier members, Star Alliance Gold members and qualifying MileagePlus cardmembers who purchase their tickets with their card will receive standard checked bag benefits when checking in with United for flights operated by United or United Express. Restrictions may apply. For details, visit our Baggage Information page.
*G also overrides the inability to take a full sized carry on on-board. Of course, it depends how you read the above - it could be seen to refer to TATL only flights.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:48 am
Original Poster

They just replied me that I will be able to get my baggage fees refunded.

What dumbfounded me was that it says there is one free baggage with AC's segment. After I made a same day change with United, the new ticket shows that I dont have any free baggage despite being * Gold.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Ticketed baggage allowance does not take status into account. *G gets you one bag beyond what your ticket provides.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Ticketed baggage allowance does not take status into account. *G gets you one bag beyond what your ticket provides.
I thought so as well. It's a bit weird that I was booking with BE with UA and the ticket shows that I have two baggages. I suppose UA's ticket took into account of my *Gold status.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I thought so as well. It's a bit weird that I was booking with BE with UA and the ticket shows that I have two baggages. I suppose UA's ticket took into account of my *Gold status.
You're not looking at the ticket. Maybe some form of personalized receipt, but not the actual ticket. I guarantee you all UA BE tickets are coded with a big round 0.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Wouldn't checking-in in person take care of (negate) the issue? (I think I'm missing something)
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You're not looking at the ticket. Maybe some form of personalized receipt, but not the actual ticket. I guarantee you all UA BE tickets are coded with a big round 0.

I suppose this is the ticket receipt. Before I made the Sameday Confirm Change SDC - the AC's segment was as belows: After my SDC, it becomes 60 USD/50 EUR. I told the check in agent to contact the supervisor at back office. She says nothing she can do, just ask me to claim AC after landing..
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose this is the ticket receipt. Before I made the Sameday Confirm Change SDC - the AC's segment was as belows: After my SDC, it becomes 60 USD/50 EUR. I told the check in agent to contact the supervisor at back office. She says nothing she can do, just ask me to claim AC after landing..
Did the agent know/see that you are *G?

When checking-in in person as *G (with AC or UA), the *G rules win and the UA/AC check-in agent is supposed to know that..
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Did the agent know/see that you are *G?

When checking-in in person as *G (with AC or UA), the *G rules win and the UA/AC check-in agent is supposed to know that..
The agent in CDG indeed knows I am *G. I explained to her but she calls her supervisor but in vain. The fact that I was given a sticker for priority immigration and security shows that she should know I am *G.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Just received a refund from them after 2 weeks. However, my credit card company seems to charge foreign transaction fee as the transaction is in Paris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.