Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CBC: Girl, 15, stranded alone overnight at YYC after AC delay & WS ticket error

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I have not seen this in the AC or WS forums yet. Mods please move as needed.

CBC: Girl, 15, stranded alone overnight at Calgary airport after Air Canada delay, WestJet ticket error

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...teen-1.5072371

Originally Posted by cbc.ca
Girl, 15, stranded alone overnight at Calgary airport after Air Canada delay, WestJet ticket error

Betsy Trumpener · CBC News · Posted: Mar 27, 2019 4:00 AM PT

A B.C. family wants answers after their 15-year-old daughter was stranded alone overnight in the Calgary International Airport.

Emma Fenton was flying solo from Kelowna to visit family in Fort St. John on March 23.

But she got stuck late at night in the Calgary airport after an Air Canada flight delay, a route change and the issuance of an incomplete WestJet ticket.

Stepmother Christy Fenton had been awaiting Emma's flight in Fort St. John.

"I felt very helpless, knowing she was there by herself at the airport [in Calgary]."

Emma spent the night on the airport floor as her parents attempted to reach Air Canada and WestJet.

"I was just so tired and so ready to go home," said the teen...
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
One either pays for UM service or is treated like an adult.

Not sure why this is difficult to understand.
awayIgo, j_the_p, YYC009 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by RangerNS

One doesn't shunt a 15-year-old off to an unstaffed ticket counter knowing there'll be no one there to talk to her, either.
Not sure why this is difficult for you to understand.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RangerNS

So no staff to handle issues and left to sleep in the airport is how an adult would be treated ? Kid or adult both airlines dropped the ball. I would suspect that AC did not transfer control of the ticket correctly to Westjet and they could not complete the process. I had the same thing happen to me when AC supposedly transferred the ticket to Alaska.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:14 pm
5mm
Suspended

Originally Posted by J. Leslie
One doesn't shunt a 15-year-old off to an unstaffed ticket counter knowing there'll be no one there to talk to her, either.
Not sure why this is difficult for you to understand.
So you are blaming Westjet? I would say WS provided bad customer service, but I also think RangerNS comments are fair and true. It's funny how some parents think it is unsafe to let their kids go shopping by themselves, but have no problems sending them on a aircraft alone and think it is the airline responsibility to baby sit them.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by 5mm
So you are blaming Westjet? I would say WS provided bad customer service, but I also think RangerNS comments are fair and true. It's funny how some parents think it is unsafe to let their kids go shopping by themselves, but have no problems sending them on a aircraft alone and think it is the airline responsibility to baby sit them.
Yes - and the parents. I think AC actually tried to do the right thing - but something obviously went awry. No excuse for the WS staff doing that, though, UM or not.
awayIgo and j_the_p like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by J. Leslie
Yes - and the parents. I think AC actually tried to do the right thing - but something obviously went awry. No excuse for the WS staff doing that, though, UM or not.
The fact that WS staff could not issue a BP and sent the girl to ticketing leads me to believe that there was something wrong with the ticket transfer from AC. Otherwise they would have issued the BP.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:37 pm

The fact that the passenger is 15 years old is almost wholly irrelevant here, other than to raise the profile of the CBC article.

At least one and possibly two airlines screwed up, resulting in a passenger getting stranded. Period. Not having UM service is not the source of the problem.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
The fact that WS staff could not issue a BP and sent the girl to ticketing leads me to believe that there was something wrong with the ticket transfer from AC. Otherwise they would have issued the BP.
Probably true. But they should have known the ticket counter was unstaffed and picked up a phone and straightened it out (or attempted to). They didn't do that.
Twickenham and 5mm like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
It has everything to do with being a UM. There are customer service screwups all the time, requiring customers to push back.

Granting there are scores of stories of "adults" not being able to airport well, if parents/guardians are sending out their child unaccompanied, then they are declaring to the world that they can function at an adult level of customer. There is a way to literally have their hands held in airports. The parents decided that was not necessary.

Yes, WS and/or AC screwed up. As they do. As an adult would be able to deal with without turning to the media.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
UM service is unavailable on connecting flights with Air Canada. So you can't blame the parents for not buying it -- they couldn't.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:08 pm

Could have just as easily have happened to an 18 year old, 28 year old, 48 year old... my empathy remains the same. Clearly, YMMV.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
So it sucks that one or both airlines screwed this up. Seems like they tried to help out but botched the execution.

The damage seems to have been the 24 sleepless hours.

I know the first thing I do when it looks like I'll be at an airport or in a city for an extended period that includes an overnight stay. And these days with everyone having a handheld internet connection it's even easier. It's called "find a hotel room."

YYC itself even has one! One of the easier airports to be stranded in.

The young lady travels quite a bit on her own according to the article. If any of the parents have a credit card they should ask for a card to be issued to her to use on travels should something come up.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zorn
So it sucks that one or both airlines screwed this up. Seems like they tried to help out but botched the execution.

The damage seems to have been the 24 sleepless hours.

I know the first thing I do when it looks like I'll be at an airport or in a city for an extended period that includes an overnight stay. And these days with everyone having a handheld internet connection it's even easier. It's called "find a hotel room."

YYC itself even has one! One of the easier airports to be stranded in.

The young lady travels quite a bit on her own according to the article. If any of the parents have a credit card they should ask for a card to be issued to her to use on travels should something come up.
I have booked airport hotel rooms regularly when I have a winter cxn. Just cancel them by 6 pm if I don't need them. (Yes, I now check to make sure I don't book at one of the chains that have decided the convenience of their res system takes precedence over the convenience of their customer base and demand 24, 48, or 72 hour cancellations)
But, I'm not sure most hotels will accept a reservation from an unaccompanied 15 year old. Even on a walkup. Too many possible liabilities.
Twickenham, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smallmj
UM service is unavailable on connecting flights with Air Canada. So you can't blame the parents for not buying it -- they couldn't.
So the parents decided that she was able to travel as an adult. Otherwise, they could have sent a guardian with her.

The only way "age" becomes relevant here is if you shift the blame to the parents. The airlines were told (by the fact the ticket was booked) that she was capable of traveling as an adult.

Air Canada said Emma should have had adequate time to sort out any problems with her ticket during her Calgary layover, and "can't explain" WestJet's actions or their direction to leave the secure area.
This statement is one I agree with. The only time I've left the secure area of an airport during IRROPS when I still wanted to travel "now" was when I've been walked by a concierge. The idea that a gate agent (did she get to her departing gate, or was it someone else who told her to leave?) would tell someone who wanted on THAT flight to leave security is just completely bizarre.
YYC009 and CDN_BOBCAT like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.