Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't AC open last minute award seats on 1/2 full flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

Wondering if anyone knows why AC doesn't release award seats close to the departure date when cabins are quite empty?

Random example:
AC 33 J YVR-SYD March 27 is still showing 19 of the 44 seats in that cabin as available - it's been like that for a week or more.

Wouldn't AC want to burn off some of the liability of AP points by getting people into these seats? Plane's going anyway!

(No, I'm not mad; not heading to Sydney; not raging at AP or AC - just curious about the thinking behind this.)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
Because on that route J goes out full either via upgrades (with co-pays), last minute upgrades, or full fare purchases. If you checked EF I bet you would not see J9.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC 75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Because on that route J goes out full either via upgrades (with co-pays), last minute upgrades, or full fare purchases. If you checked EF I bet you would not see J9.
Surprisingly it is J9 as of now:

AC 33 YVR
03/27/19 23:55SYD
03/29/19 9:3077L
J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 R0 O5 E5 N0 Y9 B9 M9
U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 G9 S9 T9 L9 A9 K9
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Back of the bus
I would say revenue management knows something we don't.
Twickenham, marke190 and balexis like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
1/2 Full Flights? What's that? Everywhere I go is at/near full capacity.
PFT and Symmetre like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by opentag
Wondering if anyone knows why AC doesn't release award seats close to the departure date when cabins are quite empty?

Random example:
AC 33 J YVR-SYD March 27 is still showing 19 of the 44 seats in that cabin as available - it's been like that for a week or more.

Wouldn't AC want to burn off some of the liability of AP points by getting people into these seats? Plane's going anyway!

(No, I'm not mad; not heading to Sydney; not raging at AP or AC - just curious about the thinking behind this.)
Although it may be coincidental, the seatmaps (you're looking at the seatmap, correct?) are not necessarily a good indicator... they simply tell you selected J seats.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
1/2 Full Flights? What's that? Everywhere I go is at/near full capacity.
Agree with you . Am on a YYZ/FRA flight in a week and it still shows J9. The J cabin will be full on departure.
PFT likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by acysb87
Agree with you . Am on a YYZ/FRA flight in a week and it still shows J9. The J cabin will be full on departure.
Yep. Always packed. Done this (872/876) 30+ times and it is ALWAYS packed.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by marke190
Surprisingly it is J9 as of now:
J9 but R0. Between eUp requests and LMUs they'll get some $ for many of those seats. Although maybe now that Aeroplan miles are an Air Canada liability again they'll be more interested in getting them off their books and opening up some last-minute space.

They could probably also use some tuning of their LMU algorithm to maximize people paying for J & PY seats. I see a lot of crazy high LMU offers and then cabins going out less than full.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
J9 but R0. Between eUp requests and LMUs they'll get some $ for many of those seats. Although maybe now that Aeroplan miles are an Air Canada liability again they'll be more interested in getting them off their books and opening up some last-minute space.

They could probably also use some tuning of their LMU algorithm to maximize people paying for J & PY seats. I see a lot of crazy high LMU offers and then cabins going out less than full.
I was going to say the same thing...
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Yep. Always packed. Done this (872/876) 30+ times and it is ALWAYS packed.
Anecdotal I know but I took 872 last Sunday. J did go out full but there were 4 gate upgrades. Most likely SE, so no co-pay. The upgrades came from PE and even after non-revs made the flight, PE had two open seats.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW

On the other hand if they sell them off cheaply at the last minute, who is going to want to pay eight to $10,000 for J ? They’ll just buy flex and do a LMU

I should imagine it’s quite a fine line, and generally these flights actually are full
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I was going to say the same thing...
LMU from Flex V on 872 on March 24 was $2,228.

I chose 4 middle seats at the back of the plane. Lie flat at a Flex price!
PFT likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by 172pilot

LMU from Flex V on 872 on March 24 was $2,228.

I chose 4 middle seats at the back of the plane. Lie flat at a Flex price!
I did that once (3 anyway) and got the best sleep I’ve ever had on the plane. The food however was horrible. And the people around me were trying to pinch the seats all the time so it was a little awkward even though they had been blocked out for me by the concierge.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds about right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.