Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC/CA China fares only allow routing through Beijing?

Old Mar 26, 19, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

Hi all

I'm looking to make a trip to China from April 10-14, half as a short break and half as a mileage run. At this stage I haven't decided which city, but I'll use YYC-XIY as the example because everywhere I have tried gives the same result. It seems that every combination of flights, whether on google flights or through AC's website wants to route me onto AC29 from YVR-PEK. I would prefer to do the outbound via Shanghai for two reasons, firstly because the flight load on April 10th is much lighter and secondly because I'd like to catch up briefly with a friend in Shanghai while in transit.

Expertflyer appears to show Shanghai as a valid routing option, so I'm not sure why I can't find any fares at roughly the same price to go this way instead. Does anybody know why?

YYC-SIA WED-10APR19 AC
TAXES/FEES NOT INCLUDED
ADULT FARES
CX FARE FARE C AP MIN/ SEASONS...... MR GI D
USD BASIS MAX
83 AC 171.00R LLXZ03 L /6M O 30DEC8-31MAY9 R PA D

SPECIFIED ROUTE: 0303
YYC-YYJ-YYC/YEA/YVR/YYC/YEA/YVR/YXE/YQR/YWG-YVR(AC/CA)BJS/SHA
(AC/CA)BJS/SHA(AC/CA)SIA
(AC/CA)BJS/SHA(AC/CA)KWL(AC/CA)SIA
YYC-YVR(AC/CA)BJS/SHA(AC/CA)BJS/SHA(AC/CA)SIA
YYC-YVR(AC/CA)BJS/SHA(AC/CA)BJS/SHA(AC/CA)KWL(AC/CA)SIA
Google flights example via PEK: https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...41*2.CAD.68541

Google flights example via PVG (no results): https://www.google.com/flights#flt=/...sp:2.CAD.68541
Old Mar 26, 19, 8:47 am

Programs: AC*A
Having the fare rules to allow a PVG transit is one thing...you also need availability.

It's possible that inventory is not available for through fares via PVG. EF is displaying errors, so I'm unable to look at availability.
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:04 am

AC booking engine sucks. You need to call in and feed them what you want if you have particular flights/fares in mind.
Still only 50-50 chance you can ticket on the phone at the price shown. Good luck if not SE, as wait times can be horrendous.
Other option is find a TA who will book for you. That's usually less painful, especially if they don't charge a booking fee.
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:31 am

Programs: TK*G, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold
Occasionally AC.com multiple city searches can give the same fare, but most of the time it is much much higher.
I almost always ended up finding an OTA that can issue the ticket similar to what's shown on ITA matrix for AC.
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
You can force any itamatrix itinerary to ac.com via powertools (search FT)
Otherwise, just buy from any OTA.
Old Mar 26, 19, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks very much everybody. I'll try powertools tonight and see how it goes.
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:03 pm

Slightly off-topic, but @david_oz, are you going to credit your AC fare to your UA account? I'm looking to do something similar. I think the AC flight will credit at 50% of the total mileage to UA while the CA flights will credit at 25%?
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Slightly off-topic, but @david_oz, are you going to credit your AC fare to your UA account? I'm looking to do something similar. I think the AC flight will credit at 50% of the total mileage to UA while the CA flights will credit at 25%?
correct for RDM, but I'm doing it for status so PQM still credits at 100% for the YVR-China flights, and 25% for YYC-YVR
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
AC in low economy will credit 100% RDM (50%+50%bonus) for a UA1K.
It will credit 100% status miles.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 7:48 pm

Programs: A3, AC
YMMV on Powertools, I've barely gotten it to work lately. Perusing the wiki it sounds like it only works on AC.com when the entire itinerary is flown by AC.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by cyralax View Post
YMMV on Powertools, I've barely gotten it to work lately. Perusing the wiki it sounds like it only works on AC.com when the entire itinerary is flown by AC.
+1 to this. AC seems to have made some changes to their site that have rendered PowerTools largely useless. I'm about 0 for my last 15.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 19, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
AC in low economy will credit 100% RDM (50%+50%bonus) for a UA1K.
It will credit 100% status miles.
So to be clear, if one have a lower status than UA1K, then they won't get 100% status mile? PQM is another acronym for EQM right?
Old Mar 26, 19, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by david_oz View Post
correct for RDM, but I'm doing it for status so PQM still credits at 100% for the YVR-China flights, and 25% for YYC-YVR
Does Wheretocredit even show EQM? There is a column for RDM and I thought it applied to EQM as well. I'm still debating whether to credit my future flights to OZ or UA. My problem is that I can't figure out whether domestic AC flights in discounted economy will count for anything especially if only one segment is within Canada, but the last segment is international (i.e. YYZ-YVR-TPE or YVR-YYZ-LGA). I'm trying to figure that out. If the domestic flights don't count for anything then I guess I'll have to consider UA considering what you had stated in your post.
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Does Wheretocredit even show EQM? There is a column for RDM and I thought it applied to EQM as well. I'm still debating whether to credit my future flights to OZ or UA. My problem is that I can't figure out whether domestic AC flights in discounted economy will count for anything especially if only one segment is within Canada, but the last segment is international (i.e. YYZ-YVR-TPE or YVR-YYZ-LGA). I'm trying to figure that out. If the domestic flights don't count for anything then I guess I'll have to consider UA considering what you had stated in your post.
The only reliable way to do this is to use the UA website. Here is the page for Air Canada earnings https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html
Since it's my thread, am I allowed to take it off topic??
If you're in the UA program, try your best to avoid domestic AC flights within Canada. If there's an option for your flight to transit via an Asian hub, do that instead and you'll be better off from a status / PQM perspective.

So to be clear, if one have a lower status than UA1K, then they won't get 100% status mile? PQM is another acronym for EQM right?
Nope. PQM (ie. Miles counting towards status, in regular person language) is not dependent on the status you have. It is dependent on the miles you fly, the fare code, and which carrier operates the flight.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
+1 to this. AC seems to have made some changes to their site that have rendered PowerTools largely useless. I'm about 0 for my last 15.
I just found this out the hard way. Although I was able to price it out on the website, I was unable to book it either through the site or through an agent. Apparently the inventory data on ITA matrix wasn't correct. Meanwhile prices to XIY have increased. So now I'm going to settle for the PEK transit option in the hope that still works, and see which Chinese cities are still available at a decent price through AC or an OTA. I'll report back with the result.
Cool tool though... that was my first interaction with javascript ever.
Old Mar 26, 19, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by david_oz View Post
The only reliable way to do this is to use the UA website. Here is the page for Air Canada earnings https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ir-canada.html
Since it's my thread, am I allowed to take it off topic??
If you're in the UA program, try your best to avoid domestic AC flights within Canada. If there's an option for your flight to transit via an Asian hub, do that instead and you'll be better off from a status / PQM perspective.

Nope. PQM (ie. Miles counting towards status, in regular person language) is not dependent on the status you have. It is dependent on the miles you fly, the fare code, and which carrier operates the flight.

I just found this out the hard way. Although I was able to price it out on the website, I was unable to book it either through the site or through an agent. Apparently the inventory data on ITA matrix wasn't correct. Meanwhile prices to XIY have increased. So now I'm going to settle for the PEK transit option in the hope that still works, and see which Chinese cities are still available at a decent price through AC or an OTA. I'll report back with the result.
Cool tool though... that was my first interaction with javascript ever.
AC was having an Asia sale until March 26, 23:59:59 GMT
My guess is you might've missed it?

Search this Thread