Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Downgauge and downgrade on paid biz (2 mos before flight)- what now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ, NH, AC *G, Starwood Gold

I’ve searched the forums but haven’t found another post on point. My kids and I have an upcoming trip from Asia to Canada in paid biz (Z). Our travel agent has just advised us that AC has downgauged the aircraft to a Dash8 for our final outbound leg YUL-YHZ, with AC asking us for a new seat selection in Economy. No price adjustment or other comp offered. I hate that aircraft so I’ve asked for the next available flight in our paid class of service, which is the next day - after 24 hours in the air with 2 small kids I could do with a night in the YUL Marriott before we face the in laws 😉. Is this a reasonable request? (I’m *G, spouse SE, and kids are *G and *S fwiw)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by Miss Thang
I’ve searched the forums but haven’t found another post on point. My kids and I have an upcoming trip from Asia to Canada in paid biz (Z). Our travel agent has just advised us that AC has downgauged the aircraft to a Dash8 for our final outbound leg YUL-YHZ, with AC asking us for a new seat selection in Economy. No price adjustment or other comp offered. I hate that aircraft so I’ve asked for the next available flight in our paid class of service, which is the next day - after 24 hours in the air with 2 small kids I could do with a night in the YUL Marriott before we face the in laws 😉. Is this a reasonable request? (I’m *G, spouse SE, and kids are *G and *S fwiw)
I am sure you will get a credit back for the fare difference in that last segment, however to add an extra day to your trip for a 90 minute flight doesn't seem worth the headache and effort to me.

Getting your bags in YUL, walking to the Marriott, checking in, getting settled into the room and organized with two young kids and then going back to the airport the next day will take you at least 90 minutes.
etkuo and jmt18325 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can you reroute through Toronto? I'm pretty sure all the YYZ-YHZ flights have J.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Update: no compensation or refund if we stay on the downgauged aircraft in economy, but when pressed AC offered to move us to an earlier flight in biz. All’s well that ends well.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by lcohen999
I am sure you will get a credit back for the fare difference in that last segment, however to add an extra day to your trip for a 90 minute flight doesn't seem worth the headache and effort to me.

Getting your bags in YUL, walking to the Marriott, checking in, getting settled into the room and organized with two young kids and then going back to the airport the next day will take you at least 90 minutes.
You missed the bit about 2 small kids. Connections are death after a longhaul, free layover and airport hotel ftw.
PointWeasel and Miss Thang like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Miss Thang
Update: no compensation or refund if we stay on the downgauged aircraft in economy, but when pressed AC offered to move us to an earlier flight in biz. All’s well that ends well.
Many people here first gripe/complain/ponder here vs. asking the airline so you are not alone. AC solved it and you never really had an issue at all, about seats, classes, hotels and whatnot. More people should look at the airline as step 1 then post here when they turn out to be pillocks.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:49 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Many people here first gripe/complain/ponder here vs. asking the airline so you are not alone. AC solved it and you never really had an issue at all, about seats, classes, hotels and whatnot. More people should look at the airline as step 1 then post here when they turn out to be pillocks.
Uncalled for. OP didn't gripe or complain at all. OP came for advice as to whether what (s)he wanted to ask AC for was reasonable. A totally reasonable ask of the FT community. I think it's great when people ask here for advice first, which prevents an AC agent who doesn't know the rules or is lazy or incompetent from generating bad outcomes for people.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Alright there, ricktoronto, calm down. As Step 1 I did ask the airline what they could offer and their response is in the original post. My question was advice on how I could press it further and whether my ask was reasonable. If we can't ask for advice re: ongoing disputes/discussions with carriers then these forums would be significantly quieter, less useful as a research tool and faaaar less interesting...
Nazdoom, Diabeetus, arf04 and 5 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Timely thread OP. I was just notified of a downgrade from paid business to economy for the family from YYZ to NAS in July 2019. Apparently the new configuration is all economy. I called AC and the agent recommended I send an email to recover the fare difference. There doesn't appear to be any business options on this route in July around our dates that I could find anymore.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:24 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by eyeball1
Timely thread OP. I was just notified of a downgrade from paid business to economy for the family from YYZ to NAS in July 2019. Apparently the new configuration is all economy. I called AC and the agent recommended I send an email to recover the fare difference. There doesn't appear to be any business options on this route in July around our dates that I could find anymore.
Are you looking only at AC or have you looked at other carriers? You're eligible for a full refund from AC, so if you found a good deal on another carrier in J, e.g. DL YYZ-ATL-NAS, that was preferable to you over sitting in Y and getting meagre downgrade compensation from AC, that would also be an option.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Are you looking only at AC or have you looked at other carriers? You're eligible for a full refund from AC, so if you found a good deal on another carrier in J, e.g. DL YYZ-ATL-NAS, that was preferable to you over sitting in Y and getting meagre downgrade compensation from AC, that would also be an option.
We're actually flying YVR-YYZ in AC business on the first segment. I don't really want to add another connection from YYZ-XXX-NAS if we use another carrier. Interestingly YYZ-NAS is shown as an all economy Airbus 321 according to the agent. I didn't know AC even had that configuration on the 321.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Points Poppa
You missed the bit about 2 small kids. Connections are death after a longhaul, free layover and airport hotel ftw.
I'd rather have the connection and get the ordeal over with.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by eyeball1
I didn't know AC even had that configuration on the 321.
I assume its a leased aircraft to cover off the lack of the 737MAX.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
I assume its a leased aircraft to cover off the lack of the 737MAX.
Im wondering if the aircraft from WOW are just getting painted and pushed into service. Seat maps for these AC flights look the same as WOW on seat guru, just with different row numbers.
Plumber likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by YEG USER

Im wondering if the aircraft from WOW are just getting painted and pushed into service. Seat maps for these AC flights look the same as WOW on seat guru, just with different row numbers.
Could be this also...ugh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.