Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

How strict is Maple Leaf Lounge Access Guest Policy?

Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Sorry to revive an old thread but was wondering if anyone has any recent experience or if they're now more strict. Currently a 50k in 2019 (75k and 50k in previous 2 years if matter) all from solo business travel and planning for a family vacation to Asia this fall. Will be traveling with both of my parents, my sister and two kids flying out from YYZ. I know it's a lot and it may probably be all depends but just trying to understand what to expect and folks experience, thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by fafafayfay
Sorry to revive an old thread but was wondering if anyone has any recent experience or if they're now more strict. Currently a 50k in 2019 (75k and 50k in previous 2 years if matter) all from solo business travel and planning for a family vacation to Asia this fall. Will be traveling with both of my parents, my sister and two kids flying out from YYZ. I know it's a lot and it may probably be all depends but just trying to understand what to expect and folks experience, thanks!
AC has their guest policies clearly laid out on their website.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...f-lounges.html

Partner/spouse, children and one other guest is allowed. All others need to pay.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
5 guests plus you? Won't happen.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:30 pm

Are you connecting in YVR or is your int'l flight out of YYZ?

Are the kids yours or your sister's? If yours, they are free and you can bring your sister in as your guest. Use guest passes for your parents (if accessing domestic lounge) or pay for their access. You can always pay for their access (1 would be your free guest) if you'd like.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
Candidly it depends on how busy the lounge is.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by MQS007
Candidly it depends on how busy the lounge is.
And which agent you get. But I doubt you’ll get all 5 in.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Please note these posts have been carved out of a 13-year old dead thread into a new thred on this topic.

tcook052
AC forum mod.
jc94 and Admiral Ackbar like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, all good info. Not trying to abuse the rule and not expecting to get my full party in but just trying to see what sort of response I will get or how many I can pay for to get them in (if even allowed)? Just setting my own expectation, thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:18 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The response likely won't be positive, unless you get a super-sympathetic agent who feels like breaking the rules for you.

One option to consider: did you receive lounge passes as part of your E50K package this year? If so, you could use your guesting privileges plus those to get everyone in to the domestic MLL (they're not valid for the international MLL). Just clear security at the D pier, visit the domestic lounge, and leave a few extra minutes to do the walk over to international before boarding.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:32 am

Thanks everyone, all good info. Not trying to abuse the rule and not expecting to get my full party in but just trying to see what sort of response I will get or how many I can pay for to get them in (if even allowed)? Just setting my own expectation, thanks!
You can pay for as many as you want: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...f-lounges.html
But that said, if the lounge is insanely busy I can see an agent saying no.

Your domestic partner, up to 5 dependent children*, as well as one guest are invited to join you at no charge.

Fees for each additional guest who wishes to join you are as follows:
  • Frankfurt lounge: €29.75 (EUR)*
  • Paris lounge: €30 (EUR)*
  • London Heathrow Departures lounge: Ł25 (GBP)*
  • All other Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges:
    • Before 11 am: $20.00 - $24.00 CAD/USD**
    • After 11 am: $30.00 - $36.00 CAD/USD**
Kindly present a valid same-day ticket or boarding pass, for an eligible flight (as indicated above) for you and your guests. You may also be asked to present your Altitude membership card.

* A dependent child is under the age of 25, part of the family unit and still financially dependent on the Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K/ Elite 75K/ Elite 50K member). Air Canada reserve the right to, at any time, request proof of age for dependent children.
** Fee is inclusive of the minimum (0%) to maximum (20%) tax which may apply, based on your itinerary.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The response likely won't be positive, unless you get a super-sympathetic agent who feels like breaking the rules for you.

One option to consider: did you receive lounge passes as part of your E50K package this year? If so, you could use your guesting privileges plus those to get everyone in to the domestic MLL (they're not valid for the international MLL). Just clear security at the D pier, visit the domestic lounge, and leave a few extra minutes to do the walk over to international before boarding.
I could be wrong, but I thought people have varied experiences of getting through domestic security with international BPs? I certainly didn't push it when I went to the wrong one by mistake once, but the agent didn't look in a mood to discuss it.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
For example I was travelling to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife, three 20 something kids and their girlfriends and we have been allowed in, but the conversation at the desk started with my recognizing that I was pushing the limits, and I was told that yes I was but as the lounge was empty she would let us in.

Now my wife and I were probably in paid J, and my wife may have had E35 that year as well but still there were 5 others only three of whom were my "children".

As I have mentioned elsewhere my eldest at 27 will be SE this year so he can guest the rest in in future.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by MQS007
For example I was travelling to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife, three 20 something kids and their girlfriends and we have been allowed in, but the conversation at the desk started with my recognizing that I was pushing the limits, and I was told that yes I was but as the lounge was empty she would let us in.

Now my wife and I were probably in paid J, and my wife may have had E35 that year as well but still there were 5 others only three of whom were my "children".
Ah the wife and girlfriends again. I think the key is to be polite and explain you know you are pushing the limits and asking what you can do. Much better to get a positive response, imho.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I suppose it depends how honest you are...Sister could pass as spouse with kids, then one parent as a guest, see if they'd let the other in and if not be prepared to pay for one which isn't too bad.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
I suppose it depends how honest you are...Sister could pass as spouse with kids, then one parent as a guest, see if they'd let the other in and if not be prepared to pay for one which isn't too bad.
And hope the kids don’t say anything. Cos they sometimes speak the truth
tcook052 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Thanks everyone, all good info. Not trying to abuse the rule!
Well, to be honest sure you were. 5 people on one eligible entrant is nothing short of that. 3 adults plus two kids as guests for one person not even flying J, crikey.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.