Bereavement fares?

Old Mar 25, 19, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Bereavement fares?

Does anyone know if Air Canada does bereavement fares for non-immediate family members (uncle, in this case)? I know Lufthansa covers uncles and aunts as well, but I called them to check for a departure date of today, tomorrow or the day after, coming back the same week any day on Friday to Sunday. Going from Toronto to Barcelona or Madrid. The bereavement fares were the same as regular fares :/ I checked Toronto to Frankfurt and London as well. Nada.

Old Mar 25, 19, 7:28 am

Programs: AC*A
Sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, Aunts/Uncles are not considered as part of AC's definition of immediate family for Bereavement fares.

Also, I believe these fares give you access to more flexible fares given the last minutes nature of travel, but they are not necessarily the lowest fares.

More in this thread, although some of the quoted contact from AC.com is no longer there.

Bereavement Fare - Thank you Air Canada

Last edited by ChrisA330; Mar 25, 19 at 7:44 am
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is probably a good idea if you ask a MOD to merge your threads on this same topic. You may get some better and more coordinated advice.
Old Mar 25, 19, 10:44 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by sepandee View Post
Does anyone know if Air Canada does bereavement fares for non-immediate family members (uncle, in this case)? I know Lufthansa covers uncles and aunts as well, but I called them to check for a departure date of today, tomorrow or the day after, coming back the same week any day on Friday to Sunday. Going from Toronto to Barcelona or Madrid. The bereavement fares were the same as regular fares :/ I checked Toronto to Frankfurt and London as well. Nada.

Sorry for your loss. The only real advantage of the AC fares from my experience is that it tend ma to book you into a fairly high Flex fare as opposed to Standard or even Basic. Savings were negligible, against cheapest available online but it doesn’t apply to Uncles although it is fairly generous:

For the purposes of bereavement travel, immediate family includes:

Spouse (includes common law, same sex partners and ex-spouse),
Child (includes / step / grand / great grand),
Parent (includes step / grand / great grand / in-law / common law in-law),
Son or daughter (includes step / in-law / common law in-law),
Brother, sister (includes step / half / in-law / common law in-law),
Legal guardian and spouse of legal guardian (with proof of judgement)

All above include in-laws of a same sex partner.