Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Leaving YYZ when connecting INTL-US

Old Mar 24, 19, 1:11 am
Original Poster

I will be flying MUC-YYZ-PHL on AC later this week and have a 5 1/2 hour scheduled layover in YYZ. Is it feasible to leave the airport to grab a quick dinner in the city or somewhere nearby, or should I just try to kill time in the MLL? I'm traveling in J, and am a US citizen with GE, which should expedite security a bit on both ends. I will be traveling with checked bags, so I'm also wondering if I'd need to short check (which I'd rather not do) or if I can just leave the bags in preclearance limbo until I declare everything on clearing customs when checking back in.
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC S100K, A3*S, SPG Gold, CC Gold, HH Diamond
If you didn't have checked bags, my answer would be a definite "yes you have time".

I'm not sure how checked bags work with connections and pre-clearance though.
Old Mar 24, 19, 4:32 am

Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, hhonors Diamond
You definitely wouldn’t be following the formal flow as you are not expected to enter Canada when you connect to the US. Canada may take issue with you entering without your bags, but is possible you could just tell them. If you short checked your bag you could immediately go upstairs and check in and then leave the airport before entering the US. It would be a little tight, but you would have time to even head into to the city on The UP Express or visit a restaurant Near the airport. Best opinion is to go carryon to YYZ and then check it for your last leg.
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:49 am

Programs: AC SE, SPG Plat, FPC Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Yes you can. Just don't follow the "US Connections" signs when you land and are in the "airside transit" part of the airport.

I've never done International-YYZ-US, so am not sure if you need to collect your bags again etc...
Old Mar 24, 19, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Platinum, HHonors Silver, Le Club Accor Silver, Avis First, NEXUS
From a process perspective, nothing wrong with going INTL-YYZ-US, clearing into Canada at YYZ and leaving the airport.

Bags will transfer automatically.

This is from personal experience doing this at both YYZ and YVR numerous times.

5.5 hours doesn’t leave you a lot of time to do something really productive though.
canadiancow likes this.