Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: First time trying to book Aeroplan--ridiculous

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: First time trying to book Aeroplan--ridiculous

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Angry First time trying to book Aeroplan--ridiculous

I'm very confused and disappointed:

Browsing about and looking at going YYT->SJO next February.

The booking costs 39900 +308.28 in taxes (econ)

But I can book this flight today for 369.00 and not spend any AP.

Where is the value in this program? My SO was trying to book Paris last week and found exactly the same thing.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Eric Akse
I'm very confused and disappointed:

Browsing about and looking at going YYT->SJO next February.

The booking costs 39900 +308.28 in taxes (econ)

But I can book this flight today for 369.00 and not spend any AP.

Where is the value in this program? My SO was trying to book Paris last week and found exactly the same thing.
Welcome to Aeroplan and scam fees. Flying AC Intl Y is a very expensive trip that yields next to no value. Those with status especially SE are exempt from many fees depending upon route and it becomes better value.

Finding a AE partner flight that doesn’t charge YQ can yield savings. For esample flying J LHR YYZ would be $550 in fees. Flying from ZRH on LX hat doesn’t charge those scam fees is $47 with a stop and positioning flight.

You options and ability to save will depend upon your exact routes and dates.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Welcome to FT.

Not that I have any experience with them, but mini-RTW bookings are what everyone raves about.

Personally, I find value in knowing I have enough miles to take my wife on a first class trip anywhere in the world she can dream of. Alternatively, I can take the whole family to somewhere hot for next to nothing.

Now if I could just find the time...
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:10 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
First, welcome to FT!

I was curious about this, so did a dummy booking and looked at the "taxes" for your flights which comprise the following (per pax):

Will the rest may well be considered taxes, the part that AC controls is the $160. I imagine the Paris trip would be worse due a significant fuel surcharge.

These kinds of charges (we sometimes call them "scamcharges") are all too common with Aeroplan bookings, another reason you sometimes have to go through all kinds of contortions to reduce fees and/or redeem Aeroplan miles only for long-haul business class tix. The latter is the "real value" for some of us.

Out of curiosity, which carrier can give you the $369 all in to SJO?
tcook052 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Straight from Air Canada's Website. February 3 2020. exact same flight I imagine
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:21 pm

So the 40k miles and $308 was for 1-way also?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

sorry I wasn't clear. These are both return trips for a two week vacation. no one way fares.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Eric Akse
sorry I wasn't clear. These are both return trips for a two week vacation. no one way fares.
The $369 you see is the price for just the outbound. If you select that flight you will be given options for your return flight which are priced differently. I'm seeing $341 for the return leg. Looking at $711 after taxes. But I digress...
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Sorry, but $369 is not a return fare. It's a one way Basic fare.

Also, the Aeroplan flights you were looking at look to be Market fares. If you can find availability it's 25,000 miles each.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Oh I see now. Thank you for correcting me. That seemed to awful to believe and in fact it was!

That's a little embarrasing. I'm a total newb obviously.

I suppose it was redirecting me to market fares as there is no availability? That would make sense as it did give me a warning that I might have better availability if I looked closer in.

Thanks everyone.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:28 am

Regardless........booking with Aeroplan / Air Canada is mostly confusing & disappointing each and every time!
Plumber likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Sorry, but $369 is not a return fare. It's a one way Basic fare.

Also, the Aeroplan flights you were looking at look to be Market fares. If you can find availability it's 25,000 miles each.
It is defaulting to 'Market Fare' because that is cheaper (ie fewer miles) than the 'fixed mileage rewards' which is 40,000 in Y-Cabin to Central America.

Lots of availability for the OP round-trip on the dates desired with Market Fare......With Fixed Mileage, there is availability on the outbound, but the inbound two weeks later is challenging.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Plumber
It is defaulting to 'Market Fare' because that is cheaper (ie fewer miles) than the 'fixed mileage rewards' which is 40,000 in Y-Cabin to Central America.
For some reason I had long haul NA in my head. Thanks for the correction.
Plumber likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
For an extra 20,000 miles you can fly Business....its Domestic J seats, but better than Y.

And there is availability.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Those with status especially SE are exempt from many fees depending upon route and it becomes better value.
I wonder what advantage an SE can get regarding tax/fee/surcharges for AP redemption?
I realize there is 'preferential rate' on change/cancel fee of the booking as Aeroplan Diamonds but are there direct discount from the 'taxes/carrier surcharge'?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.