Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Rude Gate Agent Leading to Poor CS Response

Rude Gate Agent Leading to Poor CS Response

Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Difficult for people who live in Canada!
Difficult, but not impossible. Nearly 5 yrs AC-free.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
[QUOTE=ou81two;30904015][QUOTE=glendroid;30902855]I told the agent that I would not like to check my bag as it is very expensive

You can afford a $1000 carry-on but no Premium Economy?
All the money in the world wouldn't have bought OP a PY ticket from YVR-YEG.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 6:29 am

[QUOTE=ou81two;30904015][QUOTE=glendroid;30902855]I told the agent that I would not like to check my bag as it is very expensive

You have no guarantee of overhead bin space in coach. If your luggage is too expensive to check then that's on you. You can afford a $1000 carry-on but no Premium Economy?
whats wrong with flying with a Rimowa in Y?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by hotelboy

I am sure there is more to this story than you are portraying. I highly doubt a CS agent would go off like this for no reason. What was the interaction you had with them before this happened? I don’t think you just walked up to the gate and presented your boarding pass and then got yelled at.
LOL I guess you don't know AC like most people
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:51 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by yul36
CBC or CTV is your best recourse. Since your out west drop Erica Johnson a note at go public. Unfortunately that's the only language AC sometimes understands.
Couldn't agree more, watch if you do that they will get back to you ASAP! Sometimes they just need a "nudge".
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
That sounds like the typical CS response from AC, they definitely won't escalate it. I was on a full fare Y ticket that includes a free AC bistro voucher, and the agent refused to provide one. Emailed AC CS and got the same canned response as well.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:33 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=hydrogen;30904601]
[QUOTE=ou81two;30904015]
Originally Posted by glendroid
I told the agent that I would not like to check my bag as it is very expensive

whats wrong with flying with a Rimowa in Y?
Nothing. Complaining when you have to check it because of its price when you're not guaranteed an overhead bin space is the issue.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by ou81two

You have no guarantee of overhead bin space in coach. If your luggage is too expensive to check then that's on you. You can afford a $1000 carry-on but no Premium Economy?
You have no guarantee in PY or J either - there was a thread in here recently where someone in Premium Rouge ("business") on a 767 was forced to gate-check a bag because there was not enough room. Not that there is PY on the route as someone else pointed out.

And given what AC charges for PY sometimes you could buy a hell of a lot of $1000 carry-ons.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by glendroid

Zone 3. Plane was less than a third full when I tried to board. If you care for more detail, at gate C51... there was two agents verifying boarding passes. My girlfriend and I were having our boarding passes scanned by one of them and were about to board when the other agent from the other line (the one seemingly having a bad day) came from the other desk to tell me my bag won’t fit and that she can’t let me board unless I check it. Which is funny because I was transferring from another AC flight (TPE > YVR) and my bag had the cabin luggage verification FROM AIR CANADA right on the handle of it as they verified at the gate in Taipei that it was of proper size.

Bag is 100% compliant.
Based on this additional information (i.e. zone 3 and having the approved cabin baggage tag on the carry-on), I agree that the agent was likely out of line. That being said, IMHO your complaint email to AC was very poorly written; I'm not surprised you got the response you did. I find it best to not send off complaints like this in the heat of the moment, but to put a bit of thought into what you want to say, and how you want to say it.

Your complaint talks about how the agent was rude the agent was, etc. and how you've traveled with the bag before, but doesn't clearly lay out any reason as to why you were right and the agent/AC was wrong. Also, you mentioned a Rimowa bag - until another poster provided the information I had no idea what the dimensions of that bag were. In my experience, if you're going to provide partial information that will involve someone else doing research, you're less likely to get the outcome you want.

IMHO you should have started by laying out facts.
  1. Your carry-on bag was compliant. It is Rimowa with dimensions X, Y, Z which are below AC's max dimensions of A, B and C.
  2. AC agent in Taipei had tagged it as being permitted as carry-on.
  3. You boarded with zone 3, and pax in zones 4 and 5 were subsequently allowed on with larger bags than yours
  4. AC didn't provide a sizer at the gate (something you could have mentioned in your initial email).
Once you demonstrate how/why the agent was incorrect, you *might* have a better chance at getting a satisfactory response, as you take away some of the BS excuses that might be part of a canned response. Otherwise, as I mentioned earlier, you'll just come across as a passenger who is upset that an agent enforced published carry-on rules.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:22 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YEG USER
You boarded with zone 3, and pax in zones 4 and 5 were subsequently allowed on with larger bags than yours
I've seen this kind of thing before.

People boarding with me in Zone 1 get the stink eye over the size of their (legal) carry on bag while later zones do not. We've all seen giant backpacks, carrier bags and oversized luggage lurching towards the back of the plane.

I think a lot of it has to do with the cabin crews desire to just get everyone seated as the plane fills up towards the end of boarding. They just stop getting picky knowing that some of the bags will be coming back up again.

After all, gotta make those OTP targets somehow!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC 35K, SPG GOLD
AC says clearly on their website that carry on maximum is 46" linear (H+L+D).
If you have the rimowa topas 22" then it's fine. If it's the rimowa topas 26" or more then it's not a legal carry on.
PointWeasel likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by chebert999
AC says clearly on their website that carry on maximum is 46" linear (H+L+D).
If you have the rimowa topas 22" then it's fine. If it's the rimowa topas 26" or more then it's not a legal carry on.
The OP should have included this detail in his complaint to AC, but...rather than waiting to cool down the email was fired off.

Never results is something good, IMHO.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
That sounds like the typical CS response from AC, they definitely won't escalate it. I was on a full fare Y ticket that includes a free AC bistro voucher, and the agent refused to provide one. Emailed AC CS and got the same canned response as well.
What agent, and what is "one"? That post reads like you were expecting a voucher, which doesn't exist.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
After all, gotta make those OTP targets somehow!
Except... they don’t.

What we really need is a plane that takes more luggage, like 6 rollers per bin.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94

Except... they don’t.

What we really need is a plane that takes more luggage, like 6 rollers per bin.
Like the 7M8, 788, 789, and possibly others?
Bohemian1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.