Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Rude Gate Agent Leading to Poor CS Response

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rude Gate Agent Leading to Poor CS Response

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:04 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
I believe this as the same thing happened to me in YUL heading to LAS. I pointed out that my bag had fit in the overhead on over 50 flights on all planes and in the identical plane I had taken from YYZ to YUL to connect. GA threatened to deny me boarding unless I checked it. I am still flying with the same bags and it still fits in all overheads I just display my E75 tag more prominently now
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:07 pm

Your long rant/complaint seems to be missing some key information that could provide a better understanding of the situation.

For example, what was your boarding zone? Was the plane mostly boarded by the time you boarded? What are the dimensions of your bag? What are the dimensions permitted by AC?

It may well be that your bag was compliant with AC rules, but it also might not have been. If your bag was compliant then you “might” have a case, but even then if you were in zone 4 or 5 it is possible that the plane had radioed to the gate to advise to start gate checking bags.

If your bag wasn’t compliant then you get no sympathy from me. The fact the bag may have not been noticed on previous flights is irrelevant and this becomes a case of you pushing a point when you’re in the wrong.

IMHO this comes across as “agent enforced carry-on rules and I didn’t like it.” Without more details it is difficult to ascertain the full situation.
SFO777, awayIgo, Badenoch and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
OP has stated it is a Rimowa Topas bag. Listed dims are 55x20x40 - within the limits.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
On an unrelated note, it sucks that we don't just believe one another as a default until given reason not to trust someone. Seems like a strange thing to make up. To what end??
On one hand, I agree with you. On the other, trust is something earned over time. There have been numerous cases where a new poster comes here posting incomplete information, only to have the story fall apart with further questions. My previous post was to try and get more information to get a better sense of the situation. Did OP have compliant carry-on? Was OP actually targeted as claimed? Was OP in zone 5 and last to board so no more space?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Was OP actually targeted as claimed? Was OP in zone 5 and last to board so no more space?
While OP was already finishing up a very long e-mail message to AC (thus, a long time after getting settled in his seat), he saw numerous passangers still boarding with baggage much bigger than his own.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I was recently denied boarding due to an oversold situation. The GA I was speaking to was very friendly and offered comp. I politely said it seemed low and I asked for the justification for it. The GA at the desk next to ours leaned over and began to berate me for being ungrateful that I was getting anything at all...
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG USER
Your long rant/complaint seems to be missing some key information that could provide a better understanding of the situation.

For example, what was your boarding zone? Was the plane mostly boarded by the time you boarded? What are the dimensions of your bag? What are the dimensions permitted by AC?

It may well be that your bag was compliant with AC rules, but it also might not have been. If your bag was compliant then you “might” have a case, but even then if you were in zone 4 or 5 it is possible that the plane had radioed to the gate to advise to start gate checking bags.

If your bag wasn’t compliant then you get no sympathy from me. The fact the bag may have not been noticed on previous flights is irrelevant and this becomes a case of you pushing a point when you’re in the wrong.

IMHO this comes across as “agent enforced carry-on rules and I didn’t like it.” Without more details it is difficult to ascertain the full situation.
Zone 3. Plane was less than a third full when I tried to board. If you care for more detail, at gate C51... there was two agents verifying boarding passes. My girlfriend and I were having our boarding passes scanned by one of them and were about to board when the other agent from the other line (the one seemingly having a bad day) came from the other desk to tell me my bag won’t fit and that she can’t let me board unless I check it. Which is funny because I was transferring from another AC flight (TPE > YVR) and my bag had the cabin luggage verification FROM AIR CANADA right on the handle of it as they verified at the gate in Taipei that it was of proper size.

Bag is 100% compliant.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotelboy

I am sure there is more to this story than you are portraying. I highly doubt a CS agent would go off like this for no reason. What was the interaction you had with them before this happened? I don’t think you just walked up to the gate and presented your boarding pass and then got yelled at.
Funny enough there was a prior interaction before boarding. I went to ask what LMU price was to business for the flight and without looking up... she sternly said “full”. Could tell from this point she was having a bad day. Didn’t think it would affect me further, but I guess things happen haha.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth

What was the response when you brought this up to them with regards to repairing or replacing the bag?
well considering they won’t discuss the matter further... no response.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by glendroid
well considering they won’t discuss the matter further... no response.
Oh, but that' has nothing to do with it! This is not the original "matter" - this is a completely different issue! It may be related from your point of view, but it is definitely unrelated from the CS pov!

You need to open a separate, unrelated case for your damage claim. Actually, you should have done it before leaving the airport, as a much more urgent issue than the rude treatment you complained about. Also, I don't think this is done by e-mailing CS. There should be a claim form to fill in and submit. The experienced AC flyers will be able to guide you.

Edited to add: See https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...d-baggage.html , "Damaged Baggage" tab:
How to report damaged baggage

At the airport

If you’re still at the airport and you notice that your baggage has been damaged, please advise an agent at the Air Canada or Air Canada Express Baggage Service Counter before leaving the airport.

After you’ve left the airport

For damage not noticed at the airport, we strongly advise that you return to the airport with your damaged baggage(s), ticket(s) and baggage tag(s) to report the damage.

Last edited by FlyerTLV; Mar 19, 2019 at 12:54 am
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Zone 3. Plane was less than a third full when I tried to board. If you care for more detail, at gate C51... there was two agents verifying boarding passes. My girlfriend and I were having our boarding passes scanned by one of them and were about to board when the other agent from the other line (the one seemingly having a bad day) came from the other desk to tell me my bag won’t fit and that she can’t let me board unless I check it. Which is funny because I was transferring from another AC flight (TPE > YVR) and my bag had the cabin luggage verification FROM AIR CANADA right on the handle of it as they verified at the gate in Taipei that it was of proper size.

Bag is 100% compliant.
If they think they are going to be over-full on carry-on bags they can force some to be gate checked but they usually ask for volunteers and then they usually target zone 4/5 pax. That they would go after a tagged legal sized bag in zone 3 on an A319/A320 can't be explained with any real logic ... sounds like you just got someone having a bad day, as you said. Sadly this happens sometimes - most of my interactions with AC frontline staff are good or at least okay but sometimes you get someone who is like this for whatever reason.

Probably not much you are going to get Air Canada to do about it unfortunately. As they said in their response they have the ability to force gate checking, and that is what they did.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:01 am
Suspended

[QUOTE=glendroid;30902855]I told the agent that I would not like to check my bag as it is very expensive[QUOTE]

You have no guarantee of overhead bin space in coach. If your luggage is too expensive to check then that's on you. You can afford a $1000 carry-on but no Premium Economy?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:25 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
do you have guarantee of bin space in business class or premium economy either?

​​​​​​​
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:32 am
Suspended

air canada is and was a crappy airline. I was denied boarding because they did not transfer my bag on to the next flight despite showing so in the app and on the baggage tag. I then had to endure a 10 minute lecture from AC in Montreal that AC is not a baggage hold company and that I have to pick my luggage on any layover longer than 5 hours. CS apologizes later by email that the agent made a mistake but the fact is that they are rude. I mean we pay their salaries with our ticket purchases no? Would not fly them again ever!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by adenzin7
Would not fly them again ever!
Difficult for people who live in Canada!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.