Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Booking Flight While Undergoing Legal Name Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

Just wanted some advice cause I was trying to find a solution online but have come across mixed answers. Girlfriend is due to fly a couple different flights booked on one itinerary through AC (YVR - YYZ May 2019, YYZ - ICN August 2019, ICN - YVR September 2019). She is going through the process of a legal name change, but it came across to us that she would have to update her Canadian Passport, Nexus and Citizenship documents as well which could take months to complete.

Does anyone know if Air Canada will be able to change the name on an international itinerary given a legal name change certificate? If not, would the best thing to do be using the old passport and going through with the processing of the name change? Would there be any customs issues entering ICN? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by The YVR Guy
Hi all,

Just wanted some advice cause I was trying to find a solution online but have come across mixed answers. Girlfriend is due to fly a couple different flights booked on one itinerary through AC (YVR - YYZ May 2019, YYZ - ICN August 2019, ICN - YVR September 2019). She is going through the process of a legal name change, but it came across to us that she would have to update her Canadian Passport, Nexus and Citizenship documents as well which could take months to complete.

Does anyone know if Air Canada will be able to change the name on an international itinerary given a legal name change certificate? If not, would the best thing to do be using the old passport and going through with the processing of the name change? Would there be any customs issues entering ICN? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

If AC changed her name on the itinerary, then her BPs would not match any of her ID

As for name changes, I assume both of you knew that changing one's name means changing every single piece of legal ID - passport, Nexus (and these guys are quite serious about it), license etc?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:03 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Has the ticket already been booked, and what is the status of the name change?

It would be advisable to book the ticket entirely in one name and do the name change before or after.

Your timeline of "months" seems pessimistic. My wife changed her name after we got married and I think it took less than 6 weeks to get new passport, NEXUS, etc, although I'm not sure whether there's another nationality at play here when you refer to "citizenship documents" that could complicate it.

She did ask AC beforehand whether they could do a name change on an existing ticket for someone who changed their name and they said yes, with appropriate documentation. But ultimately she decided it was easier to do everything afterwards (we left for our honeymoon four days after the wedding, so it would have been stupidly tight to get everything done).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 24left
If AC changed her name on the itinerary, then her BPs would not match any of her ID

As for name changes, I assume both of you knew that changing one's name means changing every single piece of legal ID - passport, Nexus (and these guys are quite serious about it), license etc?
Yeah, I knew that a name change would entail all of that.. my gf on the other hand... didn't. She only told me after she paid for the application. Oh well, haha.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Has the ticket already been booked, and what is the status of the name change?

It would be advisable to book the ticket entirely in one name and do the name change before or after.

Your timeline of "months" seems pessimistic. My wife changed her name after we got married and I think it took less than 6 weeks to get new passport, NEXUS, etc, although I'm not sure whether there's another nationality at play here when you refer to "citizenship documents" that could complicate it.

She did ask AC beforehand whether they could do a name change on an existing ticket for someone who changed their name and they said yes, with appropriate documentation. But ultimately she decided it was easier to do everything afterwards (we left for our honeymoon four days after the wedding, so it would have been stupidly tight to get everything done).
Thanks for that - I will pass that on to her. What I was reading online in order to get the Canadian Passport change done, new Canadian Citizenship documents would first need to be issued with the new name and that process can take 4-5 months. Not too sure how much it would help by paying for a rush request.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Just fly with the current ( old) passport. And replace it when she geys back.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the flight is booked in the old name, and the passport is in the old name, I would travel on the current passport, under the old name, and do the document changes once the itinerary is complete. Provided the passport and ticket match, there shouldn't be an issue. I don't know how NEXUS works, but imagine it is linked to the passport? People get married (and change their name) all the time, but travel on their maiden name until they complete document updates.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Book in the legal name as it is at the time of booking. When the legal change of name comes through there will be documentation to demonstrate the name change (it varies by province but is typically a certificate of change of name), present this with up to date identification to travel if there has not been an opportunity to reticket in the new legal name before departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.