Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Revenue J pax downgraded while eUp pax stays in J?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver

Just had a very unpleasant discussion with someone at AC YVR about how my wife was un-downgraded from J after an aircraft swap solved the problem of an inop seat. (Having never received the call about the downgrade in the first place)

Leaving aside how someone with E50K status, travelling with an SE, gets downgraded when on a revenue ticket, in what world is it acceptable to downgrade someone who bought a revenue J ticket while leaving an eUp in the J cabin?!? (Even during the time my wife was downgraded, there was someone with a green check mark on the upgrade list). And isn't that directly contrary to AC's policy that staff get downgraded first, then eUps, before revenue?

I was told the decision came from straight from revenue management in YUL, but if that's how revenue management runs things, it's pretty disgraceful.

It looks like this may have an okay ending, but I can't say I'm at all impressed with the way AC has handled this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
If you are being comped appropriately - its not really an issue now is it?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
If you are being comped appropriately - its not really an issue now is it?
What's the appropriate comp? A $500 MCO? Another 20% off code? AC is highly unlikely to offer me anything I consider appropriate, and when there's someone on an eUp still sitting in J, "appropriate" would be a vast sum of cold, hard cash, and even then, it's really not what I want.
arf04 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
What's the appropriate comp? A $500 MCO? Another 20% off code? AC is highly unlikely to offer me anything I consider appropriate, and when there's someone on an eUp still sitting in J, "appropriate" would be a vast sum of cold, hard cash, and even then, it's really not what I want.
I was given $300 USD MCO & $100 CAD refund on my ORD-YYZ flight being downgraded from J Rev to Y.
Good benchmark should be a full refund + 50% MCO?

My bad as I took your last sentence "It may end okay" as que that you were promised good comp .
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
I was given $300 USD MCO & $100 CAD refund on my ORD-YYZ flight being downgraded from J Rev to Y.
Good benchmark should be a full refund + 50% MCO?

My bad as I took your last sentence "It may end okay" as que that you were promised good comp .
A full refund and 50% MCO? Maybe that would be acceptable, but even at that level, I'm not sure it would, given there was still an eUp in J. It's a miserably long flight and I would rather that we just sat in J together.

This may work out okay because she has supposedly now been un-downgraded and is back in J. Although since someone has undoubtedly screwed something up, she's showing up on the upgrade list.

​​​​​​But the point of the thread is that she was downgraded, but someone on an eUp wasn't.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:49 pm

Last edited by MaxFlying; Mar 16, 2019 at 6:16 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Could the "green checkmark" passenger have been a deadheading captain?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector
Could the "green checkmark" passenger have been a deadheading captain?
That was my initial thought, but they get a confirmed seat at time of booking and can’t be bumped, so don’t know if they’d show up with the check mark.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by YEG USER

That was my initial thought, but they get a confirmed seat at time of booking and can’t be bumped, so don’t know if they’d show up with the check mark.
as a reference on Wed a SEMM was #2 on upgrade list, #1 was a captain with guaranteed J (Captain was GTE/waiting on seat assignment). Captain got a green checkmark at T-45min.

I have seen other airlines bump J to Y based on seat #s. If the same seat # does not exist when equipment is swapped, you are downgraded.... doesn't matter if you were crew using a pass , an upgrade on a cheap ticket, or paid J on a $5k ticket.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@Adam Smith

Did you find out the actual reason for your wife's J revenue seat downgrade?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Being on the onload list does not mean you're an upgrade.

Deadheading pilots show up there, GTE shows up there, etc.

I've been on the list as paid J due to an aircraft swap that shuffled seats around.

The downgrade is annoying and worth pursuing, but don't make other assumptions

Can't give you more information without a flight number.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Did you find out the actual reason for your wife's J revenue seat downgrade?
An inop seat, supposedly.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Can't give you more information without a flight number.

Also, according to the PIL, the vast majority of the cabin has no status.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, according to the PIL, the vast majority of the cabin has no status.
Which would seem to point to paid business then?
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Which would seem to point to paid business then?
Which should mean many candidates for downgrade ranking ahead of someone with 50K status.
canadiancow and ffsim like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AC E75K
Which should mean many candidates for downgrade ranking ahead of someone with 50K status.
So if the whole cabin was paid J, and a downgrade is necessary, status is the right way to do it in your opinion? What about fare class? $ paid? Not saying I have a good answer to an unfortunate situation, but just pointing out that not everyone may agree on what the right approach would be.
nancypants and acse17 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.