Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Do we have time to go landside while transiting through YYZ?

Old Mar 15, 19, 10:31 am
Original Poster

We will be flying DUB-YYZ-FLL on the Saturday of Easter weekend. We are Irish citizens. We are flying business class and have a 3 hour layover (3pm to 6pm) at YYZ. Our dear friends who live in Toronto have offered to meet us at the airport during the layover. Much as we would love to see them, I am wondering if this would be a feasible plan. Any advice gratefully received, thanks in advance.
Old Mar 15, 19, 1:06 pm

Programs: none
Which airline(s) are you flying?
Old Mar 15, 19, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smallmj View Post
Which airline(s) are you flying?
Apologies, I should have said. Weíre flying Air Canada DUB-YYZ and AC Rouge YYZ-FLL.
Old Mar 15, 19, 5:05 pm

Assuming that St. Christopher smiles upon you, it's still going to be tight! On my last DUB-YYZ flight we waited in line for Canada Passport Control for 35 mins, after the 10 min walk from the gate. I'm going to assume that you'll have to pick up your checked bags, and then check them back in for your onward flight. BUt since you are doing US Customs pre-clearance in YYZ you may have to take the bags through Canada Customs first, and then landside where you will check in and head to US Customs.

You'll be then faced with a return through security to get back to airside. Bear in mind that you'll be going through security which may be shorter with your status, but then you have US Customs and Immigration to get through before getting to your gate. On my last YYZ-MIA flight US Customs at YYZ took 5 minutes, but I have also waited 40 minutes and had to run to my gate.

Last edited by peter1962; Mar 15, 19 at 5:08 pm Reason: Added possiblity of extra Customs delay
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peter1962 View Post
I'm going to assume that you'll have to pick up your checked bags, and then check them back in for your onward flight. BUt since you are doing US Customs pre-clearance in YYZ you may have to take the bags through Canada Customs first, and then landside where you will check in and head to US Customs.
Thanks for your input Peter. Our bags will be checked through from DUB-FLL so we wonít have to pick them up but I think we might have to identify a photo of them.
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:12 am

The photo id happens when you get to US Immigration. So while you won't have to wait to pickup the bag, you will still have to give it time to get from your incoming flight to the US system.
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peter1962 View Post
The photo id happens when you get to US Immigration. So while you won't have to wait to pickup the bag, you will still have to give it time to get from your incoming flight to the US system.
Thatís a good point, we could be spending time with our friends landside while our bags are making their way from our incoming flight to the US system! I wonder if there are separate US preclearance facilities at different locations, one for passengers in transit (who remain airside) and the other whose first point of origin is YYZ?
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:28 am

That's beyond me, but if you remain airside you won't see your friends!
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:57 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
https://www.torontopearson.com/connecting.aspx

You can remain airside going through connections.

Time to go landslide, depends upon immigration. Before I got my residency it would take anything from 30 seconds to 45 mins. Though if you get to secondary itís taken a friend almost 2 hours.

My concern is connecting to the US means confirming your bag normally, if you go out landslide then back through to the US area - not sure thatís what they expect.

Iím going to request a thread move to the AC forum given you are all on AC as I know people there will have done this connection type (Intl-YYZ-USA) and hopefully someone will know on the luggage point.
Old Mar 16, 19, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94 View Post
My concern is connecting to the US means confirming your bag normally, if you go out landslide then back through to the US area - not sure that’s what they expect.

I’m going to request a thread move to the AC forum given you are all on AC as I know people there will have done this connection type (Intl-YYZ-USA) and hopefully someone will know on the luggage point.
I am also concerned that we would be doing something unusual and unexpected that may get us into trouble with the authorities. Don’t want to risk that!

Thanks for requesting the thread be moved to the AC forum. I wasn’t sure where best to post this.

Last edited by Eloise4Ever; Mar 16, 19 at 1:08 pm
Old Mar 16, 19, 12:14 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Please continue discussion in the Air Canada forum as suggested.

NewbieRunner
Senior Moderator
Old Mar 16, 19, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K.
Canada -> US is a fairly integrated process at YYZ. From your DUB flight you'll walk towards (Canadian) immigration but just before you get there, you can divert to the US side. From here you'll end up in US pre-clearance where, once cleared, you're technically already in the US. (Thus, YYZ-FLL lands in the domestic section of FLL airport.)

Regrettably I don't think it's feasible for you to see your friends with only 3h between flights. If do you come out of YYZ and go landslide, I think at best you might be able to see your friends for an hour before you have to go back in and clear customs.

That said, if you have NEXUS / Global Entry, you have a better chance of making it to see your friends. But on just a normal European passport, I don't think it's particularly feasible.
canadiancow likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: