Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Buying a specific fare type on official website

Old Mar 15, 2019, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Hey guys!
I'm wondering whether I am able to purchase a specific cabin on the official website. For example, if I would like to purchase standard cabin A with K left, how am I able to get the A? Thank you guys so much!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by mapleparty
Hey guys!
I'm wondering whether I am able to purchase a specific cabin on the official website. For example, if I would like to purchase standard cabin A with K left, how am I able to get the A? Thank you guys so much!
Welcome to FT.

Sometimes you can do this by going to display options and picking eUpgrades. Will allow selection of different fare classes to use a different number of eUps/co-pays under "Want to use fewer credits".
You can also just phone up, no cost for booking over the phone - once you get an agent.

What's the reason for wanting to book K over A?
Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:01 am

Hey guys!
Welcome to FT!

Your post is a bit confusing, so here it goes... Further to what jc94 wrote...

I'm not well versed on AC's fare bucket priority for the standard fares, etc. The way that fare buckets work is that lower fare buckets are subsets of the higher ones, within a certain cabin. Assuming that the K fare bucket is a higher than A, if a flight is K7 A3 that means that AC is willing to sell 7 seats at the K price, 3 of which they're willing to sell at the lower A price. If a flight is K3 A0, that means there are 3 seats available at the K price but none at the A price. Just because there may be a published A fare basis, doesn't mean it is available for sale.

If you try what jc94 suggested, and the "A" you're looking for doesn't come up, it likely isn't available. Also note that if you're looking at connecting flights, A needs to be available on each of the flight segments to be bookable.

On the other hand, I may be reading too much into your question, which may be much more basic than what your example implies. The initial part of your question is "I'm wondering whether I am able to purchase a specific cabin on the official website." The answer is yes (as long as it isn't sold out). You'll be able to select from Economy, Premium Economy or Business ( or Signature) Class on the pricing matrix that will appear. Once you select the desired cabin you'll be able to select between various fare families and/or refundable/non-refundable tickets, etc.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by YEG USER
The way that fare buckets work is that lower fare buckets are subsets of the higher ones, within a certain cabin. Assuming that the K fare bucket is a higher than A, if a flight is K7 A3 that means that AC is willing to sell 7 seats at the K price, 3 of which they're willing to sell at the lower A price. If a flight is K3 A0, that means there are 3 seats available at the K price but none at the A price. Just because there may be a published A fare basis, doesn't mean it is available for sale.

If you try what jc94 suggested, and the "A" you're looking for doesn't come up, it likely isn't available. Also note that if you're looking at connecting flights, A needs to be available on each of the flight segments to be bookable.
OP this is the key - you may want the cheaper A fare, but there isn't any left on that flight. If all it offers is K, that's the cheapest.
(Most of the time on FT when this question is raised, people want NOT the cheapest fare left - we want the cheapest 100% miles fare, or the fewest-eUpgrade credits fare, etc.)
I believe that if the flight is K7A3 (say), and you are buying more seats than the number of A's left, you will only be offered K. You could split the purchase and buy all the A seats and then a second purchase for the rest of the seats you need, which would be charged the K fare.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:59 am

Isn't A higher than K in the booking ladder soup though?

Anyways, the AC website is not set up to allow booking of specific fare classes in specific fare families. This is annoying if you, say, want to buy the cheapest ticket possible that does not require an eUp add-on and want to use a promo code. You can book it without a promo code, but you'll need to call AC or find a travel agent to ticket.

You can book as [MENTION=804715]jc94[/MENTION] showed, but in terms of options outside of that, you're really out of luck.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by flyquiet
OP this is the key - you may want the cheaper A fare, but there isn't any left on that flight. If all it offers is K, that's the cheapest.
(Most of the time on FT when this question is raised, people want NOT the cheapest fare left - we want the cheapest 100% miles fare, or the fewest-eUpgrade credits fare, etc.)
I believe that if the flight is K7A3 (say), and you are buying more seats than the number of A's left, you will only be offered K. You could split the purchase and buy all the A seats and then a second purchase for the rest of the seats you need, which would be charged the K fare.
If [MENTION=10046493]mapleparty[/MENTION] can provide the flight number and date it's possible some kind soul can confirm the actual availability from EF

Originally Posted by hydrogen

Anyways, the AC website is not set up to allow booking of specific fare classes in specific fare families. This is annoying if you, say, want to buy the cheapest ticket possible that does not require an eUp add-on and want to use a promo code. You can book it without a promo code, but you'll need to call AC or find a travel agent to ticket.

You can book as [MENTION=804715]jc94[/MENTION] showed, but in terms of options outside of that, you're really out of luck.
These days, with AC branded fares and alphabet soup who knows, well probably one or two people here. I mean I found this on the eUp chart for non-intl flights: Flex (S, T, L, A, K) - also there under Comfort.
Which indicates A is > K. Just like it lists MUH and we know M > U > H. But this all assumes AC has consistent/logical/accurate information on their website.

End of the day, knowing why the OP wants to actually do something is likely required information here for us to provide useful advice. I don't see A being better than K for eUps given the listings. S or T maybe, MUC definitely lower eUps. It could even be for more AQD.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I may be mistaken - I thought A was the cheapest. I only buy it for other people whose comfort, earning, baggage allowance, or upgradeability I do not care about
There is definitely no earning or eUp advantage within STLAK at the same branded fare.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by flyquiet
I may be mistaken - I thought A was the cheapest. I only buy it for other people whose comfort, earning, baggage allowance, or upgradeability I do not care about
There is definitely no earning or eUp advantage within STLAK at the same branded fare.
My understanding was A *was* the cheapest but that was swapped a year or so ago and now K is the cheapest.
Doesn't matter - the whole system has become so complicated one needs a PhD just to understand it.

Regardless of why OP wants a specific fare class and family (I can think of a half dozen reasons or so), what OP asks cannot be done with the current system (assuming that fare bucket availability is not an issue)
Old Mar 16, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Thank you guys so much! I didn't expect I could get so many replies!

Originally Posted by hydrogen

I suppose this is the answer I'm looking for. I do have promo codes, and the only way to use them is to booked online. I'm pretty new to AC so I might not be familiar with some of the terms. Sorry for my confusing example, it's actually for my other frequent flyer program. I call AC to ask for further assistance, and.......

1. The promo codes I have can only be applied online.
2. If a cheaper fare is available in the fare family you choose, that's the only one you can book.
3. Fare type issued online cannot be changed by calling them.

I appreciate all of your responses!
Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:20 am

Thank you guys so much! I didn't expect I could get so many replies!

I suppose this is the answer I'm looking for. I do have promo codes, and the only way to use them is to booked online. I'm pretty new to AC so I might not be familiar with some of the terms. Sorry for my confusing example, it's actually for my other frequent flyer program. I call AC to ask for further assistance, and.......

1. The promo codes I have can only be applied online.
2. If a cheaper fare is available in the fare family you choose, that's the only one you can book.
3. Fare type issued online cannot be changed by calling them.

I appreciate all of your responses!
Based on this it seems like youre describing a promo code that says something like valid on Standard or Flex fares or valid on Flex and Comfort fares etc.

Picking the fare family is super easy online. Click on Economy once your search results come back and youll be presented with the various options. Its been some time since I used a coupon code, but last time I did the website only returned results for which the code was applicable. Hopefully that hasnt changed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.