Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Luggage protocol at YYZ for CDN connection to INTL on AC?

Luggage protocol at YYZ for CDN connection to INTL on AC?

Reply

Old Mar 14, 19, 5:02 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYJ
Programs: ALT50kE / SPG-G / FPC-LACCOR-G
Posts: 227
Luggage protocol at YYZ for CDN connection to INTL on AC?

Well, the cascading effect of the Max8 grounding has hit me too...touch wood, it is a minor inconvenience. Flight from YYC-YYZ on Saturday is pushed back to 3:00pm, arriving at 8:50pm and is now on a 787 instead of a 767. I imagine they are upgauging to get more capacity online.

However, now my connection from YYZ-CDG is 55m instead of a leisurely 120m. I cannot recall what the luggage protocol is at YYZ...we are on AC metal from start to end, the last time I think we transited through YYZ from a CDN airport for an international flight (all on AC) we had to ID our bags on a screen...is that still the case, or do we just run for the international E gate when we connect?

Thanks--the Pearson website doesn't mention anything about luggage identification, so I'm hoping that it will be checked through, and we won't have to stop and ID the luggage on a screen somewhere during what feels like a short connection (especially with a kid!)...
a4racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:22 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Halifax
Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Elite/Ambassador. NEXUS, National
Posts: 1,940
Don't need to touch it.
RangerNS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:23 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: AC*A
Posts: 4,586
Identifying your bags is when you're connecting to the US. There will be no need to pick up your bags, just head to your gate.

​​​​​​https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/ca-int.html

The bigger issue is MCT for Canada to International is 60 minutes. Your 55 min may be an issue.
ChrisA330 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:29 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYJ
Programs: ALT50kE / SPG-G / FPC-LACCOR-G
Posts: 227
Thanks...

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 View Post
Identifying your bags is when you're connecting to the US. There will be no need to pick up your bags, just head to your gate.

​​​​​​https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/ca-int.html

The bigger issue is MCT for Canada to International is 60 minutes. Your 55 min may be an issue.
I thought that would be the issue. I guess I'll see when I try to check-in tomorrow morning...I don't imagine they'll be all that helpful (or able to help) on the phones tonight. If there is no bag ID or collection, I have some tentative optimism that we could make it. IIRC, there is a small security checkpoint in between D gates and E gates, correct?
a4racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:34 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 26,518
Originally Posted by a4racer View Post
I thought that would be the issue. I guess I'll see when I try to check-in tomorrow morning...I don't imagine they'll be all that helpful (or able to help) on the phones tonight. If there is no bag ID or collection, I have some tentative optimism that we could make it. IIRC, there is a small security checkpoint in between D gates and E gates, correct?
The others above are correct in that there is no ID-ing of luggage required for DTI connections at YYZ.
Once you landat your D gate, do not exit the secure area, but instead followthe signs for International E gates (it's kind of next to gate D20) and you are brought upstairs via escalator and you show your connecting BP to the person on the overhead bridge who will then let you through a set of doors and on your way to the hammerhead portion of the terminal where the international gates are. That's it. No extra security for this.

(you'll get some red stamp on your BP with the word "Domestic" or something on those lines, IIRC)
yyznomad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:51 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 20,899
The 55 minutes connection is no longer an MCT issues since the ticket was issued. Now the issue is that it pretty short. Still, if the first flight is on time, walking from arriving domestic to international departure should not be more than 10 minutes. Problem would be if the first flight is delayed.
Stranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:58 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Toronto, ON
Programs: AC*A
Posts: 4,586
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The 55 minutes connection is no longer an MCT issues since the ticket was issued. Now the issue is that it pretty short. Still, if the first flight is on time, walking from arriving domestic to international departure should not be more than 10 minutes. Problem would be if the first flight is delayed.
​​​​​​
Except there was a schedule change that now brings the connection under MCT. My experience, is this will result in a rebooking to maintain MCT.
tcook052 likes this.
ChrisA330 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 5:59 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYJ
Programs: ALT50kE / SPG-G / FPC-LACCOR-G
Posts: 227
I'm hoping...

Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The 55 minutes connection is no longer an MCT issues since the ticket was issued. Now the issue is that it pretty short. Still, if the first flight is on time, walking from arriving domestic to international departure should not be more than 10 minutes. Problem would be if the first flight is delayed.
That this is the case. Wait, my spouse and daughter are paid J. I'm upgraded from PE (cannot recall the class), but a also confirmed in J, as they are! However, I'm a lowly E50, is there a secret password that I can use that will get the car to pick us up at the jet bridge an drive us to the next jet bridge? I jest, but not entirely!

Thanks!
a4racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:02 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 39,773
There is nothing special about the D-I connection at YYZ as there is not exit Customs and thus no bags to identify.

To be blunt, if you can make the connection, your bags can make the connection. If they don't, let them catch up with you and be delivered to your hotel in Paris. Given the generous carry-on allowances, just pack the first few days clothing in that and don't give the bags a second thought.
Often1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:28 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 20,899
Originally Posted by a4racer View Post
That this is the case. Wait, my spouse and daughter are paid J. I'm upgraded from PE (cannot recall the class), but a also confirmed in J, as they are! However, I'm a lowly E50, is there a secret password that I can use that will get the car to pick us up at the jet bridge an drive us to the next jet bridge? I jest, but not entirely!

Thanks!
If they get the limo, they'll take you for a ride too if there is space. Still, the time difference is just minutes.
Stranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:29 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYJ
Programs: ALT50kE / SPG-G / FPC-LACCOR-G
Posts: 227
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
There is nothing special about the D-I connection at YYZ as there is not exit Customs and thus no bags to identify.

To be blunt, if you can make the connection, your bags can make the connection. If they don't, let them catch up with you and be delivered to your hotel in Paris. Given the generous carry-on allowances, just pack the first few days clothing in that and don't give the bags a second thought.
A very good point...I'm far less worried about our bags making the Paris flight than I am US making the Paris flight!

I imagine a Parisian shopping spree if our bags don't make it when we do, "European Vacation" style (I know they were in Rome when they did their shopping spree, but that was such a classic scene!)
a4racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 6:29 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 20,899
Originally Posted by ChrisA330 View Post
​​​​​​
Except there was a schedule change that now brings the connection under MCT. My experience, is this will result in a rebooking to maintain MCT.
Normally, perhaps. But in the current state of confusion, they may well have relaxed the rules somewhat, or given agents a bit of latitude?
Stranger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 7:41 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: YYF/PEI/MZL/EZE
Programs: AS MVP/AC E50K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Plat/IHG Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Posts: 4,847
Doesn't the 787 go faster than the 767 anyways?

I jest, but the OP needs to relax. All will be fine.

Bags making the 55 mins connection can be an issue in YYZ , but I see little else to worry so much about.
PointWeasel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 19, 9:45 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: YYJ
Programs: ALT50kE / SPG-G / FPC-LACCOR-G
Posts: 227
Hahaha...

Originally Posted by PointWeasel View Post
Doesn't the 787 go faster than the 767 anyways?

I jest, but the OP needs to relax. All will be fine.

Bags making the 55 mins connection can be an issue in YYZ , but I see little else to worry so much about.
Not worried about the bags at all...and it looks like YYZ-CDG is now at 955pm, so the connection time is now a healthy (hahaha) 65m...we should be okay, thanks for the comfort though! I figure that, if the YYC-YYZ flight is not delayed (and there shouldn't be de-icing required at YYC at 3pm on Saturday), we should be good...
a4racer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 19, 7:19 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YQB
Programs: AC E75K
Posts: 1,336
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
The others above are correct in that there is no ID-ing of luggage required for DTI connections at YYZ.
Once you landat your D gate, do not exit the secure area, but instead followthe signs for International E gates (it's kind of next to gate D20) and you are brought upstairs via escalator and you show your connecting BP to the person on the overhead bridge who will then let you through a set of doors and on your way to the hammerhead portion of the terminal where the international gates are. That's it. No extra security for this.

(you'll get some red stamp on your BP with the word "Domestic" or something on those lines, IIRC)
Just minor corrections to this, since this is FT and we like being precise and exact!

The BP-checking person on the overhead bridge has been replaced by automated gates with boarding pass scanners. There are now 5-6 gates so it is actually quicker than before, especially when non-frequent flyers get confused or have misplaced their BP. They also no longer stamp BPs.
DNAwizard likes this.
jasdou is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread