FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Luggage protocol at YYZ for CDN connection to INTL on AC? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1960925-luggage-protocol-yyz-cdn-connection-intl-ac.html)

a4racer Mar 14, 2019 5:02 pm

Luggage protocol at YYZ for CDN connection to INTL on AC?

Well, the cascading effect of the Max8 grounding has hit me too...touch wood, it is a minor inconvenience. Flight from YYC-YYZ on Saturday is pushed back to 3:00pm, arriving at 8:50pm and is now on a 787 instead of a 767. I imagine they are upgauging to get more capacity online.

However, now my connection from YYZ-CDG is 55m instead of a leisurely 120m. I cannot recall what the luggage protocol is at YYZ...we are on AC metal from start to end, the last time I think we transited through YYZ from a CDN airport for an international flight (all on AC) we had to ID our bags on a screen...is that still the case, or do we just run for the international E gate when we connect?

Thanks--the Pearson website doesn't mention anything about luggage identification, so I'm hoping that it will be checked through, and we won't have to stop and ID the luggage on a screen somewhere during what feels like a short connection (especially with a kid!)...

RangerNS Mar 14, 2019 5:22 pm

Don't need to touch it.

ChrisA330 Mar 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Identifying your bags is when you're connecting to the US. There will be no need to pick up your bags, just head to your gate.

​​​​​​https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/ca-int.html

The bigger issue is MCT for Canada to International is 60 minutes. Your 55 min may be an issue.

a4racer Mar 14, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks...

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 30888360)
Identifying your bags is when you're connecting to the US. There will be no need to pick up your bags, just head to your gate.

​​​​​​https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...rt/ca-int.html

The bigger issue is MCT for Canada to International is 60 minutes. Your 55 min may be an issue.

I thought that would be the issue. I guess I'll see when I try to check-in tomorrow morning...I don't imagine they'll be all that helpful (or able to help) on the phones tonight. If there is no bag ID or collection, I have some tentative optimism that we could make it. IIRC, there is a small security checkpoint in between D gates and E gates, correct?

yyznomad Mar 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by a4racer (Post 30888382)
I thought that would be the issue. I guess I'll see when I try to check-in tomorrow morning...I don't imagine they'll be all that helpful (or able to help) on the phones tonight. If there is no bag ID or collection, I have some tentative optimism that we could make it. IIRC, there is a small security checkpoint in between D gates and E gates, correct?

The others above are correct in that there is no ID-ing of luggage required for DTI connections at YYZ.
Once you landat your D gate, do not exit the secure area, but instead followthe signs for International E gates (it's kind of next to gate D20) and you are brought upstairs via escalator and you show your connecting BP to the person on the overhead bridge who will then let you through a set of doors and on your way to the hammerhead portion of the terminal where the international gates are. That's it. No extra security for this.

(you'll get some red stamp on your BP with the word "Domestic" or something on those lines, IIRC)

Stranger Mar 14, 2019 5:51 pm

The 55 minutes connection is no longer an MCT issues since the ticket was issued. Now the issue is that it pretty short. Still, if the first flight is on time, walking from arriving domestic to international departure should not be more than 10 minutes. Problem would be if the first flight is delayed.

ChrisA330 Mar 14, 2019 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 30888457)
The 55 minutes connection is no longer an MCT issues since the ticket was issued. Now the issue is that it pretty short. Still, if the first flight is on time, walking from arriving domestic to international departure should not be more than 10 minutes. Problem would be if the first flight is delayed.

​​​​​​
Except there was a schedule change that now brings the connection under MCT. My experience, is this will result in a rebooking to maintain MCT.

a4racer Mar 14, 2019 5:59 pm

I'm hoping...

Originally Posted by Stranger (Post 30888457)

That this is the case. Wait, my spouse and daughter are paid J. I'm upgraded from PE (cannot recall the class), but a also confirmed in J, as they are! However, I'm a lowly E50, is there a secret password that I can use that will get the car to pick us up at the jet bridge an drive us to the next jet bridge? I jest, but not entirely!

Thanks!

Often1 Mar 14, 2019 6:02 pm

There is nothing special about the D-I connection at YYZ as there is not exit Customs and thus no bags to identify.

To be blunt, if you can make the connection, your bags can make the connection. If they don't, let them catch up with you and be delivered to your hotel in Paris. Given the generous carry-on allowances, just pack the first few days clothing in that and don't give the bags a second thought.

Stranger Mar 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by a4racer (Post 30888487)
That this is the case. Wait, my spouse and daughter are paid J. I'm upgraded from PE (cannot recall the class), but a also confirmed in J, as they are! However, I'm a lowly E50, is there a secret password that I can use that will get the car to pick us up at the jet bridge an drive us to the next jet bridge? I jest, but not entirely!

Thanks!

If they get the limo, they'll take you for a ride too if there is space. Still, the time difference is just minutes.

a4racer Mar 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30888499)
There is nothing special about the D-I connection at YYZ as there is not exit Customs and thus no bags to identify.

To be blunt, if you can make the connection, your bags can make the connection. If they don't, let them catch up with you and be delivered to your hotel in Paris. Given the generous carry-on allowances, just pack the first few days clothing in that and don't give the bags a second thought.

A very good point...I'm far less worried about our bags making the Paris flight than I am US making the Paris flight!

I imagine a Parisian shopping spree if our bags don't make it when we do, "European Vacation" style (I know they were in Rome when they did their shopping spree, but that was such a classic scene!)

Stranger Mar 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330 (Post 30888482)
​​​​​​
Except there was a schedule change that now brings the connection under MCT. My experience, is this will result in a rebooking to maintain MCT.

Normally, perhaps. But in the current state of confusion, they may well have relaxed the rules somewhat, or given agents a bit of latitude?

PointWeasel Mar 14, 2019 7:41 pm

Doesn't the 787 go faster than the 767 anyways? ;)

I jest, but the OP needs to relax. All will be fine.

Bags making the 55 mins connection can be an issue in YYZ , but I see little else to worry so much about.

a4racer Mar 14, 2019 9:45 pm

Hahaha...

Originally Posted by PointWeasel (Post 30888758)
Doesn't the 787 go faster than the 767 anyways? ;)

I jest, but the OP needs to relax. All will be fine.

Bags making the 55 mins connection can be an issue in YYZ , but I see little else to worry so much about.

Not worried about the bags at all...and it looks like YYZ-CDG is now at 955pm, so the connection time is now a healthy (hahaha) 65m...we should be okay, thanks for the comfort though! I figure that, if the YYC-YYZ flight is not delayed (and there shouldn't be de-icing required at YYC at 3pm on Saturday), we should be good...

jasdou Mar 15, 2019 7:19 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad (Post 30888397)
The others above are correct in that there is no ID-ing of luggage required for DTI connections at YYZ.
Once you landat your D gate, do not exit the secure area, but instead followthe signs for International E gates (it's kind of next to gate D20) and you are brought upstairs via escalator and you show your connecting BP to the person on the overhead bridge who will then let you through a set of doors and on your way to the hammerhead portion of the terminal where the international gates are. That's it. No extra security for this.

(you'll get some red stamp on your BP with the word "Domestic" or something on those lines, IIRC)

Just minor corrections to this, since this is FT and we like being precise and exact!

The BP-checking person on the overhead bridge has been replaced by automated gates with boarding pass scanners. There are now 5-6 gates so it is actually quicker than before, especially when non-frequent flyers get confused or have misplaced their BP. They also no longer stamp BPs.