FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   YUL Transit Time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1960890-yul-transit-time.html)

Bravada04 Mar 14, 2019 1:00 pm

YUL Transit Time

How much time does a person need in Montreal if I need to pick up luggage; go through customs and then get to the departure level to re-check in and go through security?

RangerNS Mar 14, 2019 1:31 pm

Bottom line first: If someone sold you a ticket, unless you or they screwed up in unimaginable ways, your connection is above the minimums; If you miss it, you will be taken care of. Eventually. Missed connections happen, if the ramifications of a missed connection are missing a wedding or missing a bazillion dollar sales call, fly earlier.

Actually, there is no follow up. Everything else depends on dozens of questoins about your inbound and outbound flight, willingness to run, the crankyness of security officers that day, and are ultimately random and unknowable. The minimum time is fine and the airlines and airports setting it have a better data than antidotes of people here.

If you need to be where you going, fly the night before.

Bravada04 Mar 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Totally get it. If I was on one ticket this would be of no concern whatsoever.

I'm flying in from International scheduled to land at 1:50 p.m. - I have no choice but to have this on a single ticket as I understand. I have a multi city itinerary and just want my international legs on Business and others on economy - I couldn't get it booked like that on one ticket. I was going to try at AC but obviously can't get though and called Qatar and she said it is either all or none for business on one ticket.
.....so land at 1:50 p.m. and flight to YWG is at 5:10 p.m. - I am barely through YUL - only been through there a few times on domestic. Ultimately want to get home that night rather than stay over night which of course is an option. Just had no idea if my timelines are o.k. based on the scheduled times and what it entails at YUL when it comes to having to go through the whole gauntlet of picking up luggage; going through customs; getting back to the check in area and going through security? I'm doing that exact thing when I leave YUL as I have the time going the night before on the single ticket.

If I miss it, I will hazard to guess I won't be taken care of :)

RangerNS Mar 14, 2019 1:50 pm

If you have NEXUS to enter Canada and NEXUS to get fast security line, 3:20 minutes would be long enough to go downtown for a beer.

Bravada04 Mar 14, 2019 1:54 pm

LOL. :) Ok. I guess that answers my question. We should be good to go!! LMAO. I just might do that then.

But I don't have NEXUS but it sounds like I'm still good.

On a side note. Was Qatar correct in telling me I cannot book one leg in economy and then the next in Business etc., I have never done that so I didn't know.

I could swear at one time or another I was on the line with an AC agent and we were doing this with no issues until we hit a snag at the final destination. The snag was something to do with the carrier not flying there or something.

Symmetre Mar 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by RangerNS (Post 30887662)
If you have NEXUS to enter Canada and NEXUS to get fast security line, 3:20 minutes would be long enough to go downtown for a beer.

In normal Montreal traffic? Better get that beer to go!

Stranger Mar 14, 2019 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Bravada04 (Post 30887681)
LOL. :) Ok. I guess that answers my question. We should be good to go!! LMAO. I just might do that then.

But I don't have NEXUS but it sounds like I'm still good.

On a side note. Was Qatar correct in telling me I cannot book one leg in economy and then the next in Business etc., I have never done that so I didn't know.

I could swear at one time or another I was on the line with an AC agent and we were doing this with no issues until we hit a snag at the final destination. The snag was something to do with the carrier not flying there or something.

I would bet they could. But what would the price be? And even with two tickets, I would not be surprised if the whole trip on a single ticket were cheaper. Which would probably be the reason wh ythey said they could not... But more importantly, are they telling you they won't check luggage through? If it were AC to another airline, AC would. One World airlines OTOH would not.