Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Grounding of 737 Max - Effect on AC incl OMNI 767 lease

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Latest updates from aircanada.com
Originally Posted by https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2019/737-airspace-closure.html
If you currently have a reservation for a flight between now and September 02, 2019 that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.
Read below for more details.

Air Canada Timetable Effective June 27, 2019 to September 29, 2019 (AC's link: https://services.aircanada.com/porta...metable-en.pdf)
Air Canada Timetable Effective June 20, 2019 to September 22, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective June 13, 2019 to September 15, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective June 6, 2019 to September 8, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 30, 2019 to September 1, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 23, 2019 to August 25, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 16, 2019 to August 18, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 9, 2019 to August 11, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 2, 2019 to August 4, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective April 25, 2019 to July 28, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective April 18, 2019 to July 21, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective April 11, 2019 to July 14, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective March 28, 2019 to June 30, 2019

May 29, 2019
If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, call:

1-833-354-5963

If you booked through a Travel Agency, please call them for immediate assistance
In compliance with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations, Air Canada has grounded its 24 737 MAX aircraft until further notice.Air Canada is now updating its May, June and July schedule to further optimize its fleet and re-accommodate customers. Because the timeline for the return to service of the 737 Max is unknown, for planning purposes and to provide customers certainty for booking and travel, Air Canada is removing all 737 MAX aircraft from its schedule until at least September 02, 2019. A summary of schedule changes for April is posted below in the following question and answer: "What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?". Additional schedule changes will be posted as warranted.
  • Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers.
  • We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible.
  • Given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada Call Centres.
  • If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, please call the number at the top of this page.
  • If you booked through a Travel Agent, you may contact them directly for assistance.
We appreciate our customers' patience as we work to get everyone on their way.

If you'd like to make other plansIf you currently have a reservation for a flight between now and September 02, 2019 that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.If you are impacted by this policy, you may contact Air Canada Reservations (1-888-247-2262). If you are travelling in the next 72 hours, please call Air Canada Reservations number at the top of this notice. If you purchased your ticket with AeroplanExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., or Air Canada Vacations or your travel agent, please contact them directly.

March 19, 2019

UPDATED - INFORMATION ON IMPACTED ROUTES

UPDATED - Air Canada Responds to Transport Canada's Closure of Canadian Airspace to the Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-closure.html

March 19, 2019

If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, call:

1-833-354-5963

If you booked through a Travel Agency, please call them for immediate assistance

In compliance with Transport Canada’s safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations, Air Canada has grounded its 24 737 MAX aircraft until further notice.

Air Canada is now updating its April and May schedule to further optimize its fleet and re-accommodate customers. Because the timeline for the return to service of the 737 Max is unknown, for planning purposes and to provide customers certainty for booking and travel, Air Canada is removing all 737 MAX aircraft from its schedule until at least July 1, 2019. A summary of schedule changes for April is posted below in the following question and answer: “What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?”. Additional schedule changes will be posted as warranted.
  • Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers.
  • We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible.
  • Given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada Call Centres.
  • If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, please call the number at the top of this page.
  • If you booked through a Travel Agent, you may contact them directly for assistance.
We appreciate our customers' patience as we work to get everyone on their way.

If you'd like to make other plans

If you currently have a reservation for a flight that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.

If you are impacted by this policy, you may contact Air Canada Reservations (1-888-247-2262). If you are travelling in the next 72 hours, please call Air Canada Reservations number at the top of this notice.

If you purchased your ticket with Aeroplan, or Air Canada Vacations or your travel agent, please contact them directly.

March 13, 2019

Air Canada confirmed today that it will comply immediately with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations until further notice.

Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers. We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible. Given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada Call Centres. Priority will be given to customers travelling within the next 72 hours. We appreciate our customers' patience.

If you'd like to know what type of aircraft you are flying on, simply retrieve your booking from the My Bookings tab, then click on the 'Details' link in the Flight Details section. We also advise you to check the status of your flight before heading to the airport.

We fully support Transport Canada's decision and will continue to work with them towards a resolution of this situation as soon as possible.

Alternate Travel Plans
If you currently have a reservation for a flight operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.

If you are impacted by this policy, you may contact Air Canada Reservations (1-888-247-2262).

If you purchased your ticket with AeroplanExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., or Air Canada Vacations or your Travel agent, please contact them directly Some questions you may have are below with our answers, but if you can't find what you need, contact us at 1-888-247-2262, or reach out to us on on FacebookExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. or TwitterExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines..

How many Boeing 737 MAX aircraft does Air Canada have?
Air Canada has a fleet of 24 Boeing 737 MAX-8 aircraft, which have been in operation since 2017. We have a total fleet of 400 aircraft (including 24 737MAX), comprising Air Canada mainline, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express aircraft.

Where do the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft fly to?
These aircraft operate flights across North America, to Mexico, the Caribbean, Hawaii, as well as from Atlantic Canada to London Heathrow.

How many Boeing 737 MAX flights are there each day, and how many passengers are affected?
We typically operate approximately 75 Boeing 737 MAX flights daily out of a total schedule of approximately 1,600 daily flights system-wide, representing less than six percent of our total flying.

We have a total fleet of 400 aircraft (including 24 Boeing 737 MAX), comprising Air Canada mainline, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express aircraft.

What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?
We are making adjustments to our schedule to minimize the disruption to customers as much as possible, by optimizing the deployment of the rest of our fleet and looking at alternative options, including accommodating customers on other airlines.

As an example of some of our adjustments to Boeing 737 MAX flights cancelled, we have re-scheduled widebody aircraft to serve Hawaii starting today, March 13. Some flights will operate as scheduled with mainline or Air Canada Rouge aircraft, such as on Montreal-Martinique and Montreal-Guadeloupe. Other routes, notably Halifax-London and St. John's-London are cancelled in the short term, with customers being re-routed through our Montreal and Toronto hubs.

What should I do right now?
As changes are finalized in our flight schedule, customers whose flight times or flight numbers have changed can expect to receive an email detailing their updated itinerary. This information is also available in My Bookings on the Air Canada App.

If you are travelling soon, you can also contact us or your travel agent. Please understand that priority is being given to customers travelling within the next 72 hours.

We have also put in place a rebooking policy, space permitting, and without additional fees for affected customers. Given the magnitude of our Boeing 737 MAX operations, which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada's Call Centres.

Where can I go to for more information?
If you would like to know what type of aircraft you are flying on, simply retrieve your booking from the My Bookings tab, then click on the 'Details' link in the Flight Details section.

If you are travelling soon, you can contact us, reach out to our social media teams on FacebookExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. or TwitterExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., or call your travel agent.

We also advise you to check the status of your flight before going to the airport.

We thank all of our customers for their patience.

Will Air Canada cover my out-of-pocket expenses such as additional accommodation costs that I may incur as a result of these disruptions?
Our normal protocol for irregular events which are out of our control is in effect. We are regrettably unable to reimburse for such expenses.

MONTREAL, March 13, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada confirmed today that it will comply immediately with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations until further notice.

Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers. We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible but given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada call centres and we appreciate our customers' patience.

Customers are further advised to check the status of their flight on aircanada.com prior to going to the airport.

We fully support this decision and will continue to work with Transport Canada towards resolution of this situation as soon as possible.

SOURCE Air Canada

For further information: Isabelle Arthur (Montréal), [email protected], 514 422-5788; Peter Fitzpatrick (Toronto), [email protected], 416 263-5576; Angela Mah (Vancouver), [email protected], 604 270-5741; Internet: aircanada.com

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...7-MAX-Aircraft

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...to-london.html

Originally Posted by ac.com
Information on Air Canada Halifax-London and St. John’s-London service

March 12, 2019

Due to the UK's Civil Aviation Authority banning all Boeing 737 Max aircraft operations in the U.K. Air Canada has cancelled the following flights:

AC 860 Halifax London-Heathrow on March 12
AC861 London-Halifax on March 13
AC822 St. John’s-London on March 13
AC823London-St. John’s on March 14

We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible through our Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa hubs.

Affected customers may contact Air Canada Reservations to change their flights to another date free of charge.

As well, due to anticipated call volumes, customers can expect delays reaching Air Canada call centres, so we appreciate our customers’ patience.

Air Canada will provide updates as more information becomes available.
Print Wikipost

Grounding of 737 Max - Effect on AC incl OMNI 767 lease

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
@bcnfish — I looked at this for CDG. The reviews of the aircraft left something to be desired. Sounded a lot like the old HD for the J cabin. I can’t comment on the back or PE. It will be AC service/meals. A mix of Qatar and AC staff but mostly Qatar. I’m assuming AC staff will be in leadership/supervisory positions but that’s an assumption.

If you take it, pls let us know what it’s like. The MAX saga looks like it will go on longer than predicted......
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AC SE*MM
Flew J from YUL to BCN last night.

Weird experience. All Qatar crew except 2 Air Canada crew, who I saw just before takeoff and just before landing but otherwise Qatar crew served the J cabin, and the in-charge seemed to be from Qatar as well (she introduced herself to me before takeoff). The AC crew did the announcements in French.

The flight was catered and run like any AC TATL in J. Taking to the Qatar crew and they were still getting used to this - e.g. they always plate meals, never use a cart, but with AC catering they are using carts instead. Also AC runs 4 fewer cabin staff on a TATL than Qatar does.

I liked the pods. Honestly, even though these are the old Qatar pods they are nicer than the AC ones, old or new. The only disadvantage is not all have direct aisle access (not herringbone) but since we were 4 travelling together it did not matter.

All in all 1000% better than Premium Rouge which is what I originally paid for!

tcook052 and bcnfish like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: S100K, ACMM, Fairmont Presidents Club Platinum
Thanks. I am flying BCN to YUL on Saturday so I will see if I have the same experience
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
AC has now updated the timetable through October 12. However, for the Hawaii routes they are still showing the Omni 767 as flying until September 2, when it goes back to the MAX at 5x weekly. That seems pretty unlikely at this point. I assume they will be renewing the lease on the 767.

Do we have any further reports on the Omni 767? We had one report from J. Are there any from Y? (I’m due to fly to Honolulu in early October so would like to get a seat request in as soon as they make the swap.)
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by TheCanuckian
AC has now updated the timetable through October 12. However, for the Hawaii routes they are still showing the Omni 767 as flying until September 2, when it goes back to the MAX at 5x weekly. That seems pretty unlikely at this point. I assume they will be renewing the lease on the 767.

Do we have any further reports on the Omni 767? We had one report from J. Are there any from Y? (I’m due to fly to Honolulu in early October so would like to get a seat request in as soon as they make the swap.)
AC is updating the timetable every Tuesday and pushing out the valid date interval by one week.
We missed posting about last week's update... because I kind of gave up.
cedric and canadiancow like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
AC is updating the timetable every Tuesday and pushing out the valid date interval by one week.
We missed posting about last week's update... because I kind of gave up.
I don’t blame you. They are extending the schedule every time, but remaining optimistic about the MAX’s return, it seems. I’d say it’s very unlikely to be back flying on September 3.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC

I don’t blame you. They are extending the schedule every time, but remaining optimistic about the MAX’s return, it seems. I’d say it’s very unlikely to be back flying on September 3.
Yeah, they've removed the 7M8 from the fleet pages in the timetable, but continue to include them in the later dates within the pushed out date interval.
Also, if you've noticed they've cut back on quality of the timetable (incorrect factual information), I'm guessing because they are in a rush to publish a new timetable every week.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 6:42 pm

My mistake—they did push it back to September 30. So they are now hoping to get the MAX back on the route for October 1. But there’s a mismatch between what they list as flights for HNL-YVR and what they list for YVR-HNL, so it’s all still messy.

Last edited by TheCanuckian; Jul 5, 2019 at 8:04 pm
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Air Canada extends leased Qatar A330 service to Sep 2019

Posted 26 June 2019 - By Jim Liu

Air Canada earlier this month extended leased Qatar Airways A330-200 operation, on Montreal – Barcelona and Montreal – Paris CDG route. Leased Qatar A330 service is now scheduled until 29SEP19 (Canada departure), instead of 31AUG19.

Montreal – Barcelona
AC2402 YUL2255 – 1210+1BCN 332 D
AC2403 BCN1410 – 1625YUL 332 D

Montreal – Paris CDG
AC884 YUL1750 – 0630+1CDG 77W D
AC2400 YUL2050 – 0945+1CDG 332 D

AC871 CDG1055 – 1220YUL 77W D
AC2401 CDG1510 – 1655YUL 332 D

The seasonal 2nd daily Paris service, currently operating as AC2400/2401, is scheduled until 12/13SEP19.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...t=air%20canada
Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
Do we have any reports yet from people who have flown the Omni 767s between YVR and HNL? Would it be worth starting a new thread for that so it stands out a little more? I see that AC is (apparently) only selling row 17 as extra legroom, but it’s also immediately beside the lavs…
Booked on Omni YVR-OGG and looking for cabin input/images as well.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
Booked on Omni YVR-OGG and looking for cabin input/images as well.
When do you fly?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
When do you fly?
In 3 weeks.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
In 3 weeks.
I’m not up until early October. So at the very least I’ll be hoping you’ll provide some information based on your experience.

I do wonder if we’d do better starting a new thread specifically for the Omni 767s. How many people are still keeping up with this one?
FreddyBe likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

I’m not up until early October. So at the very least I’ll be hoping you’ll provide some information based on your experience.

I do wonder if we’d do better starting a new thread specifically for the Omni 767s. How many people are still keeping up with this one?
How long does the wet lease with Omni run until? Can/will it be extended, or will AC eventually have to juggle its own metal back onto the Hawaiian routes if the MAX grounding continues into the winter season?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by transportprof
How long does the wet lease with Omni run until? Can/will it be extended, or will AC eventually have to juggle its own metal back onto the Hawaiian routes if the MAX grounding continues into the winter season?
The lease has already been extended once up to end of August - the original schedule was only for June/July.

It remains to be seen if AC can re-juggle the fleet to move these routes back to their own metal for the winter when there is more slack in the schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.