Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Grounding of 737 Max - Effect on AC incl OMNI 767 lease

Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yyznomad
Latest updates from aircanada.com
Originally Posted by https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2019/737-airspace-closure.html
If you currently have a reservation for a flight between now and September 02, 2019 that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.
Read below for more details.

Air Canada Timetable Effective June 27, 2019 to September 29, 2019 (AC's link: https://services.aircanada.com/porta...metable-en.pdf)
Air Canada Timetable Effective June 20, 2019 to September 22, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective June 13, 2019 to September 15, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective June 6, 2019 to September 8, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 30, 2019 to September 1, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 23, 2019 to August 25, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 16, 2019 to August 18, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 9, 2019 to August 11, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective May 2, 2019 to August 4, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective April 25, 2019 to July 28, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective April 18, 2019 to July 21, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective April 11, 2019 to July 14, 2019
Air Canada Timetable Effective March 28, 2019 to June 30, 2019

May 29, 2019
If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, call:

1-833-354-5963

If you booked through a Travel Agency, please call them for immediate assistance
In compliance with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations, Air Canada has grounded its 24 737 MAX aircraft until further notice.Air Canada is now updating its May, June and July schedule to further optimize its fleet and re-accommodate customers. Because the timeline for the return to service of the 737 Max is unknown, for planning purposes and to provide customers certainty for booking and travel, Air Canada is removing all 737 MAX aircraft from its schedule until at least September 02, 2019. A summary of schedule changes for April is posted below in the following question and answer: "What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?". Additional schedule changes will be posted as warranted.
  • Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers.
  • We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible.
  • Given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada Call Centres.
  • If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, please call the number at the top of this page.
  • If you booked through a Travel Agent, you may contact them directly for assistance.
We appreciate our customers' patience as we work to get everyone on their way.

If you'd like to make other plansIf you currently have a reservation for a flight between now and September 02, 2019 that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.If you are impacted by this policy, you may contact Air Canada Reservations (1-888-247-2262). If you are travelling in the next 72 hours, please call Air Canada Reservations number at the top of this notice. If you purchased your ticket with AeroplanExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., or Air Canada Vacations or your travel agent, please contact them directly.

March 19, 2019

UPDATED - INFORMATION ON IMPACTED ROUTES

UPDATED - Air Canada Responds to Transport Canada's Closure of Canadian Airspace to the Boeing 737 MAX Aircraft

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...e-closure.html

March 19, 2019

If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, call:

1-833-354-5963

If you booked through a Travel Agency, please call them for immediate assistance

In compliance with Transport Canadas safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations, Air Canada has grounded its 24 737 MAX aircraft until further notice.

Air Canada is now updating its April and May schedule to further optimize its fleet and re-accommodate customers. Because the timeline for the return to service of the 737 Max is unknown, for planning purposes and to provide customers certainty for booking and travel, Air Canada is removing all 737 MAX aircraft from its schedule until at least July 1, 2019. A summary of schedule changes for April is posted below in the following question and answer: What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?. Additional schedule changes will be posted as warranted.
  • Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers.
  • We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible.
  • Given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada Call Centres.
  • If you are travelling within the next 72 hours, please call the number at the top of this page.
  • If you booked through a Travel Agent, you may contact them directly for assistance.
We appreciate our customers' patience as we work to get everyone on their way.

If you'd like to make other plans

If you currently have a reservation for a flight that was scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.

If you are impacted by this policy, you may contact Air Canada Reservations (1-888-247-2262). If you are travelling in the next 72 hours, please call Air Canada Reservations number at the top of this notice.

If you purchased your ticket with Aeroplan, or Air Canada Vacations or your travel agent, please contact them directly.

March 13, 2019

Air Canada confirmed today that it will comply immediately with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations until further notice.

Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers. We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible. Given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada Call Centres. Priority will be given to customers travelling within the next 72 hours. We appreciate our customers' patience.

If you'd like to know what type of aircraft you are flying on, simply retrieve your booking from the My Bookings tab, then click on the 'Details' link in the Flight Details section. We also advise you to check the status of your flight before heading to the airport.

We fully support Transport Canada's decision and will continue to work with them towards a resolution of this situation as soon as possible.

Alternate Travel Plans
If you currently have a reservation for a flight operated by a Boeing 737 MAX aircraft, we've implemented a policy that makes it possible for you to make voluntary changes to your itinerary within three (3) weeks of your original travel dates.

If you are impacted by this policy, you may contact Air Canada Reservations (1-888-247-2262).

If you purchased your ticket with AeroplanExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., or Air Canada Vacations or your Travel agent, please contact them directly Some questions you may have are below with our answers, but if you can't find what you need, contact us at 1-888-247-2262, or reach out to us on on FacebookExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. or TwitterExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines..

How many Boeing 737 MAX aircraft does Air Canada have?
Air Canada has a fleet of 24 Boeing 737 MAX-8 aircraft, which have been in operation since 2017. We have a total fleet of 400 aircraft (including 24 737MAX), comprising Air Canada mainline, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express aircraft.

Where do the Boeing 737 MAX aircraft fly to?
These aircraft operate flights across North America, to Mexico, the Caribbean, Hawaii, as well as from Atlantic Canada to London Heathrow.

How many Boeing 737 MAX flights are there each day, and how many passengers are affected?
We typically operate approximately 75 Boeing 737 MAX flights daily out of a total schedule of approximately 1,600 daily flights system-wide, representing less than six percent of our total flying.

We have a total fleet of 400 aircraft (including 24 Boeing 737 MAX), comprising Air Canada mainline, Air Canada Rouge and Air Canada Express aircraft.

What is Air Canada doing to reschedule customers?
We are making adjustments to our schedule to minimize the disruption to customers as much as possible, by optimizing the deployment of the rest of our fleet and looking at alternative options, including accommodating customers on other airlines.

As an example of some of our adjustments to Boeing 737 MAX flights cancelled, we have re-scheduled widebody aircraft to serve Hawaii starting today, March 13. Some flights will operate as scheduled with mainline or Air Canada Rouge aircraft, such as on Montreal-Martinique and Montreal-Guadeloupe. Other routes, notably Halifax-London and St. John's-London are cancelled in the short term, with customers being re-routed through our Montreal and Toronto hubs.

What should I do right now?
As changes are finalized in our flight schedule, customers whose flight times or flight numbers have changed can expect to receive an email detailing their updated itinerary. This information is also available in My Bookings on the Air Canada App.

If you are travelling soon, you can also contact us or your travel agent. Please understand that priority is being given to customers travelling within the next 72 hours.

We have also put in place a rebooking policy, space permitting, and without additional fees for affected customers. Given the magnitude of our Boeing 737 MAX operations, which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada's Call Centres.

Where can I go to for more information?
If you would like to know what type of aircraft you are flying on, simply retrieve your booking from the My Bookings tab, then click on the 'Details' link in the Flight Details section.

If you are travelling soon, you can contact us, reach out to our social media teams on FacebookExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines. or TwitterExternal site which may not meet accessibility guidelines., or call your travel agent.

We also advise you to check the status of your flight before going to the airport.

We thank all of our customers for their patience.

Will Air Canada cover my out-of-pocket expenses such as additional accommodation costs that I may incur as a result of these disruptions?
Our normal protocol for irregular events which are out of our control is in effect. We are regrettably unable to reimburse for such expenses.

MONTREAL, March 13, 2019 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada confirmed today that it will comply immediately with Transport Canada's safety notice closing Canadian airspace to Boeing 737 MAX aircraft operations until further notice.

Air Canada's cancellation and rebooking policies are in place with full fee waiver for affected customers. We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible but given the magnitude of our 737 MAX operations which on average carry nine to twelve thousand customers per day, customers can expect delays in rebooking and in reaching Air Canada call centres and we appreciate our customers' patience.

Customers are further advised to check the status of their flight on aircanada.com prior to going to the airport.

We fully support this decision and will continue to work with Transport Canada towards resolution of this situation as soon as possible.

SOURCE Air Canada

For further information: Isabelle Arthur (Montral), [email protected], 514 422-5788; Peter Fitzpatrick (Toronto), [email protected], 416 263-5576; Angela Mah (Vancouver), [email protected], 604 270-5741; Internet: aircanada.com

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2019...7-MAX-Aircraft

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...to-london.html

Originally Posted by ac.com
Information on Air Canada Halifax-London and St. Johns-London service

March 12, 2019

Due to the UK's Civil Aviation Authority banning all Boeing 737 Max aircraft operations in the U.K. Air Canada has cancelled the following flights:

AC 860 Halifax London-Heathrow on March 12
AC861 London-Halifax on March 13
AC822 St. Johns-London on March 13
AC823London-St. Johns on March 14

We are working to rebook impacted customers as soon as possible through our Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa hubs.

Affected customers may contact Air Canada Reservations to change their flights to another date free of charge.

As well, due to anticipated call volumes, customers can expect delays reaching Air Canada call centres, so we appreciate our customers patience.

Air Canada will provide updates as more information becomes available.
Print Wikipost

Grounding of 737 Max - Effect on AC incl OMNI 767 lease

Old Apr 15, 2019, 3:44 pm

I had a quick look at the pdf timetable and it doesn't look complete. I would rely on the booking engine instead, and I would assume anything after May 31st might still change.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Another PDF timetable updated now eff. April 25 to July 28, 2019

Another update less than a week later. Wiki updated.
https://services.aircanada.com/porta...ABC975DFD72085

I've posted it on docdroid as well (like past docdroid pdf timetables I've posted as per upthread, in case someone wants to compare to previous ones):
https://docdro.id/TrcADKV
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Nice. I can't find two of our flights. Booked/rebooked over the weekend. Still open for sale.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG/Marriott, Radisson Rewards
Wonder if this is related to the MAX issus (as a knock-on effect from from subbing other smaller jets, and in turns subbing DH4):

Code:
EARLY DEPARTURE REQUESTED IF ABLE DUE DH4 FLEET CONSTRAINTS YYZ.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:50 pm

That's a common request. Doesn't always happen for a variety of reasons.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually very buggy. I was looking at flight 9, YYZ-YYC-NRT. For YYC-NRT, it shows as operating until April 25 and on days 4. For YYZ-NRT, it shows as operating until April 27 on days 5 and 6, and until May 29 (except April 28-30) on days 237. So day 4 for the first presumably meant x4. Also the 237 flights after April 27 are missing from the YYC departure. YYZ-YYC is consistent with YYZ-NRT.OTOH, one can still book flight 9 for later dates.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Originally Posted by Stranger
Actually very buggy. I was looking at flight 9, YYZ-YYC-NRT. For YYC-NRT, it shows as operating until April 25 and on days 4. For YYZ-NRT, it shows as operating until April 27 on days 5 and 6, and until May 29 (except April 28-30) on days 237. So day 4 for the first presumably meant x4. Also the 237 flights after April 27 are missing from the YYC departure. YYZ-YYC is consistent with YYZ-NRT.OTOH, one can still book flight 9 for later dates.
The schedule changes have been all over the place since the grounding (just MHO analyzing them as they get updated every one or two weeks) and they often don't match with what is being sold currently or the online flight schedule checker thingy. \_(ツ)_/

But I do think the pdf timetable is getting a bit closer to reality than the first version after the grounding.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Some routes are obviously completely full. Flew YYZ-YEG-SEA on Tuesday. First part was Rouge and then on Alaska. YYZ-YEG was oversold and looking for volunteers. I offered but they could not get me to SEA the same night at any time on any route. Apparently the next YYZ-YEG was oversold as was YYZ-YVR and YYZ-SEA. Got to be a lot of pissed of IDB pax.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac.com
Air Canada is now updating its April and May schedule to further optimize its fleet and re-accommodate customers. Because the timeline for the return to service of the 737 Max is unknown, for planning purposes and to provide customers certainty for booking and travel, Air Canada is removing all 737 MAX aircraft from its schedule until at least July 1, 2019.
Bolding mine...

There continues to be 7M8s listed for June in the PDF timetable... I'm sure there is a special way to interpret "until at least July 1, 2019" to mean to still include June 2019 dates in the schedule with 7M8s.
I know my FOTSG friends and family are confused by this (because they told me so as they look to me for flying advice all the time).
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like the earliest the Max could be back on would be Aug. 1?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:00 pm

Question, i had an Aeroplan award ticket from OGG-YVR on a Wed in July. Based on new schedule that flight is now removed. What are my options? Will they only re-book me on AP awards inventory or will they open up AC flights not currently in award inventory so my impact is minimal due to the 737 Max 8 issues? Also should i contact aeroplan or just wait to be contacted? appreciate any guidance.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by sxc234
Question, i had an Aeroplan award ticket from OGG-YVR on a Wed in July. Based on new schedule that flight is now removed. What are my options? Will they only re-book me on AP awards inventory or will they open up AC flights not currently in award inventory so my impact is minimal due to the 737 Max 8 issues? Also should i contact aeroplan or just wait to be contacted? appreciate any guidance.
July is a long way off. Any changes could happen again. MAX or not, down to a 6 hour scheduled window isn't possible.

Reports are they have been especially generous with MAX related award rebookings. But AE has always had the ability to open up AC space.

I personally would not worry or waste a phone call until June.. baring some prepaid hotel charges or something.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another PDF timetable updated now eff. May 2 to August 4, 2019

Another update less than a week later. Wiki updated.

I've posted it on docdroid as well (like past docdroid pdf timetables I've posted as per upthread, in case someone wants to compare to previous ones):
https://docdro.id/TrcADKV
And another PDF timetable updated now eff. May 2 to August 4, 2019.

Wiki updated.

Here's the docdroid version for posterity and comparing against other recent PDF releases.
https://docdro.id/3Py9Anh
tcook052 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Interesting. There is now no widebody service to YHZ. I wonder if the constraints caused by the MAX problems mean that they have to give up on some cargo revenue. Last year we had a daily A333 to YUL to get YHZ cargo (mostly lobster) in to the system.

Or maybe they are able to squeeze it all in on the numerous narrowbody runs to YUL and YYZ.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
Originally Posted by smallmj
Interesting. There is now no widebody service to YHZ. I wonder if the constraints caused by the MAX problems mean that they have to give up on some cargo revenue. Last year we had a daily A333 to YUL to get YHZ cargo (mostly lobster) in to the system.

Or maybe they are able to squeeze it all in on the numerous narrowbody runs to YUL and YYZ.
CargoJet introduced a YHZ-CGN route last year and runs a daily YHZ - YHM with their newly acquired 767's. Perhaps the capacity is no longer required on AC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.